It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:04 am 
Formerly 43110

I'll disagree that the two BK games have copy pasted engines. Sivak has at least said in his play through commentary that he implemented proper trigonometry tables, and variable rate timers. Which is a huge difference in how things move. I say the 2nd game sometimes feels like running through literal clockwork.

but to get back on topic, what's going good for the Mystic Searches team is the focus of designing the whole game, not just programing it. It is a good thing to not be concerned with state of the art programing practices, so that things actually get done. I know, because I've practiced the antithesis, perfectionism, for so long.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:23 am 

3gengames wrote:
Well, if we all accepting copy-and-pasting the most important parts of the engine, having to develop minimal software instead of making it great, I don't see it as all that hard myself. But fair enough.

You must hate most NES Capcom games then. :)

Recycling code is nothing new, and it doesn't automatically lead to a bad product. Don't forget, lots of games are made using the same game engine or the same libraries, which is no different from what you're complaining about.

(this is the only post I'll make on this matter, because derailing)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:57 am 
Formerly 65024U

Not the main engines, but most sub-engines are copy and pasted, and I mean not from his own work. If I took a sound engine, took my okay animation/display engine, then just made a generic core engine, that is simple, could have a game out in 3 months if needed. But perfection, and real development takes time, like the year they give themselves on this title, although I'm sure it'll use generic tools too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:59 pm 

Don't a lot of NES games reuse engines and assets whenever possible? I remember Kasumi mentioning that something as arbitrary as a text dialogue box takes an absurd amount of time to design and implement (in an NES game), so it'd be fair to reuse something that took a long time to make. I also noticed that Mega Man's sprite, especially in 3 onwards, looked incredibly archaic in contrast to the newer design cues in, say, 6, and Capcom are the masters of reusing assets for as long as possible.

Speaking of reusing assets, didn't some early NES games share similar voice samples and sound? For example, Defender II has the same sounds and music as Punch-Out, and Kung Fu Heroes uses the 1-up sound from Mario and the voice samples from Kung-Fu, completely unrelated games.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:18 pm 

OneCrudeDude wrote:
Don't a lot of NES games reuse engines and assets whenever possible?

If you really want to see this in action, quite a lot of the 2D IGA Castlevania post-SotN use a fairly large chunk of sprites from SotN; though the GBA ones tend to reuse their own, smaller ones for most enemies. (Bosses still often get drawn from SotN.)

Also surprised you didn't point at MM9 or 10.

edit: They do mention on the KS page that it's a "work of passion" or "labor of love" so yes, they know they're not really paying themselves, but still...I agree that it's quite something to do a documentary, two connected games with a hardware issue (and a third for $10k)...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:03 pm 

I didn't mention 9 and 10 because they are not NES games. NES programming is much less approachable than anything modern, which would justify asset reuse. As mentioned before, something that people take for granted like a text box takes weeks to develop, and about a month or two for it to be implemented.

Also, Adventure Island 3 is almost a literal rehash of Adventure Island 2. In fact, I dare say AI3 is a glorified level hack of AI2. They reuse much of the same graphical assets, the music, sound effects, mechanics, and levels. Only thing different is that the pointless "choose an egg" room has been removed, which speeds the game up considerably.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:23 pm 

Glad to see this got funded. I hope it goes well!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

The trailer for this film has been released. Check it out:
https://vimeo.com/142582274

It was unexpected, but it turned out that Joe Granato came to Indiana, so I've made a small appearance in this.

At 1:16 that's tepples and I playing Thwaite.
At 0:23 I'm soldering a CHR-RAM onto a GTROM prototype board.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:11 am 

At 2:31 who's playing Russian Roulette?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:13 am 

I like the idea of the interviews with homebrewers in the documentary.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:22 am 

Pretty cool.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:21 am 

Memblers wrote:
The trailer for this film has been released. Check it out:
https://vimeo.com/142582274

It was unexpected, but it turned out that Joe Granato came to Indiana, so I've made a small appearance in this.

At 1:16 that's tepples and I playing Thwaite.
At 0:23 I'm soldering a CHR-RAM onto a GTROM prototype board.

Oh, word. The map I illustrated for Swords and Runes shows briefly at 1:20.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:29 am 

I just realized that "The Film" page of http://www.thenew8bitheroes.com/ doesn't list koitsu, who organized the documentation that made NES homebrew possible especially in the early years. I was told he was interviewed, but is there a reason he was left out of the "NES Advocates" section? Is he in the film, just left out of the page because of limited space?

And is there an expected release date?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:22 pm 

Hey there - thanks! Just seeing this...haven't been actively looking at this thread. I thought I got everyone added in, but it seems I missed a few in each category. Been quite an adventure with so much to keep track of! Make no mistake, in the film, all will be credited. I will try to adjust the site asap, as in the next few days I'll be doing some management anyway. :-)

Thanks for the note!