It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:34 am 

The Master System version has the "Toasty" guy, doesn't it? Oh, just remembered that fighters are drawn on the background in the Master System games, so there are plenty of free sprites.

psc wrote:
Currently the GB version uses two palettes on some fighters (Jax, Kung Lao, Shao Kahn, Jade's staff), so all of the NES sprite pallets would be used up on the fighters alone. For the blood, I think I would remove the droplets but keep the splash.

Can't you give each player a fully customizable palette and allow them to use the remaining 2 palettes, which would fixed? You'd have to optimize the fixed palettes so that they could represent blood, special effects, and the extra colors needed by the fighters you mentioned above. With original sprites it would be easier to embrace this limitation, but it might still be possible for MK.

Quote:
The large blood splash is actually an animated background area that merges with the map. This is also how I pull off large projectiles like Scorpion's spear, Reptile's spit, and SubZero's iceblast. The backgrounds (above the floor) are designed to only use 3 of the 4 colors, so that the 4th color can be the projectile or blood splash.

That's a pretty good idea! If you do the same on the NES, that means you'll have to use CHR-RAM, right? That's a lot of CHR-RAM updates, considering you'll have to animate each player in addition to all the effects. Any ideas on how you'll handle all this pattern traffic?

Quote:
Since I have a fighting engine finished, I was also considering just swapping out the graphics and tweaking the gameplay to create a brand new fighting game. I think for a NES project I would limit the fighter roster to just 5-7 characters.

I think the NES is in great need of good fighting games. This is a genre that was barely explored in that platform, when you exclude all the crappy pirate demakes. Off the top of my head, I can only think of Joy Mecha Fight (the dismembered fighters made things easier), Ninja Turtles - Tournament Fighters (which is pretty good graphically, don't know if it plays well), and Datach's Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho games (which look interesting, but have tiny tiny sprites).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:45 pm 

There was some other game by Namco (Famicom, of course) where you and the enemy shared the same graphics, and you kinda looked like monks. Then there's the various Culture Brain games with the occasional 1-on-1 perspective, the fighter mode of Double Dragon, and the nefarious Karate Champ. Fighting games did exist on the NES, but they weren't made in the SF2 era. That said, I think an SF2 port with graphical assets in the vein of Mighty Final Fight would work spectacularly well, though I'm certain they didn't bother with it because SF2 is defined by it's vocal samples, and Capcom never used samples of any kind in any of their NES games.

I wonder if the Chinese would be ambitious enough and port something like Skullgirls to the NES, assuming the game is actually worth bootlegging and if the third world still plays on clone NES consoles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:09 pm 

I've said it before: A platform fighter (think Smash Bros.) with 48px tall sprites (think Shaq-Fu) would probably work great on NES.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:37 pm 

Perhaps a port of the famed Super Smash Land game would be a good candidate for an experiment, with upscaled graphics. Then again, this game, since it was developed in a higher language, probably has some complex math that wouldn't be possible even on a number crunching beast like the Genesis.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:08 pm 

This pirate game has some of the best sprites I've ever seen in an NES fighting game (they're really colorful!), and it proves that a decent port of SFII could have been released on the NES if Capcom wanted to. It's a bit flickery, but I bet it'd play great with a proper engine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:24 am 

Having played it to death I can tell you that the engine is probably the least of the issues =P 60FPS and the controls are actually responsive (not sure if as tight as they should be but still responsive enough that they actually do what you want). Also I just remembered there was a magazine featuring all the special moves in that game (yeah, it was that common over here). Not sure if it has 2P mode though (I wondered if it was there by pressing some button but I never tried), but then again I doubt it'll be very hard to add if it's not there since the CPU player is going through the same code as the first player anyway.

The ↑+Start thing completely ruins it though =/