It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: Lizard
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm 

tepples wrote:
You might need to rethink camera control to compensate for the less tall screen. ... But you'd probably need to improve color depth somewhat and arrange the music and sound effects for the double polyphony and sampler mentality of the S-DSP.

I don't need to do any of those things.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but: I'm not porting this to GBA.

I only mentioned the three platforms I did because they are things I actually have thought about prior, though I would have kept this to myself if you hadn't brought it up. As I said, I have some interest in learning SNES or Genesis, and a port of Lizard could be a suitable project to do so. DOS is a different case, I just have a personal interest there.

However, in general, I don't see much value in porting the game to these systems. It will not increase accessibility at all. Anybody with a computer that is capable of downloading my game can run it already in some form. There's no utility there. (...and please don't harbour any expectation that I will actually port it to SNES, Genesis, or DOS.)

Lizard was made for the NES, body and soul. I don't want to redo the art or music for another platform. Everything in the game is touched by the constraints of the NES in some way, and that's a really important aspect of the game to me. I would want any port to be as close to the NES version as I can manage. (See the PC version for a demonstration of what I mean.)

Even now, preparing for a Steam release, I'm looking at the trading card art requirements and not really enjoying the prospect. The ambiguity of pixels in their small resolution is really important to me. I don't want to make official art that forces a single interpretation of these characters. (I welcome fan art though.) Lizard's box art is already a source of cognitive dissonance for me, even though I think it does stay pretty close to the game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:56 pm 

rainwarrior wrote:
please don't harbour any expectation that I will actually port it to [...] DOS.
It might be fun seeing Lizard running inside Magiduck's engine, but I'm certain it'd be way too much work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

Quote:
I'm looking at the trading card art requirements and not really enjoying the prospect. The ambiguity of pixels in their small resolution is really important to me.

I totally get this.

What exactly are the requirements? Five cards minimum? Do they care about the contents?

I'd just upscale pixel art by some factor if that was permitted.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:19 pm 

Out of curiosity I tried Lizard on PocketNES right now in an emulator. It seems pretty playable. The noise emulation sounds a little weird, and none of the graphic modes are ideal (the full view looks squished, the follow mode will probably prevent you from noticing important things), but this look OK if you really must play Lizard on the GBA.

Even if I wanted to make a native GBA port (which I definitively do not) I think the screen size problem basically makes it not a sufficient superset of NES to be worthwhile without significant redesign. PocketNES is a better compromise.

FrankenGraphics wrote:
What exactly are the requirements? Five cards minimum? Do they care about the contents?

Is this document publicly viewable?
https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/marketing/tradingcards

It's a whole suite of things: cards, badges, emoji, wallpapers, and extra wallpaper-sized versions of each card too.

FrankenGraphics wrote:
I'd just upscale pixel art by some factor if that was permitted.

I probably will end up drawing a few new things that don't extrapolate too far from the sprites. Right now I've got Blender rendering a pile of cartridges as one of the wallpapers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:52 pm 

I really wish that I was part of the beta testing for Lizard, but I hope that the input that I gave for your demo at least provided some valuable feedback. If I'm part of the beta testing then I feel like I was at least part of the project and thus I'm more likely to buy a cartridge.

Congrats on finishing this!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:22 pm 

All feedback received was useful, yours included.

I wrote an article on this subject: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1101008925/lizard/posts/2098969

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12