It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm
Posts: 7
Would be interested in building a game app to sell on app stores that would play a nes homebrew game. Are there any homebrew nes games that are freely distributable? Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:57 pm 
Offline
Formerly 65024U

Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:57 pm
Posts: 2257
I don't like this at all, call me a POS, but this isn't what people had in mind for their free games I'd imagine. Better cut them in. Or at least look for their source code yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 6448
Location: UK (temporarily)
Please see this thread: viewtopic.php?t=9811


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:02 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 19239
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
possible duplicate of Games that can be reproduced and sold


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm
Posts: 7
3gengames wrote:
I don't like this at all, call me a POS, but this isn't what people had in mind for their free games I'd imagine. Better cut them in. Or at least look for their source code yourself.


If the game is freely distributable by the author then what is the problem? The code for the emulator is already open source. What I need is basically a game that would be fun. This way it can be distributed through the app store. There are already some like that out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm
Posts: 7
tepples wrote:


Thanks are they the only ones available?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm
Posts: 932
They may not be the only ones available, although new ones can be added to the topic linked to. (There are also some that may be unfinished, or use other input devices and mappers than supported in whatever you are using, are some of the possible details.)

_________________
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:24 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 19239
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
b2720531 wrote:
If the game is freely distributable by the author then what is the problem? The code for the emulator is already open source. What I need is basically a game that would be fun. This way it can be distributed through the app store. There are already some like that out there.

Your use of the term "app store" makes it sound like you're referring to iOS, where you package a game with an emulator that runs only that game. That's fine so long as the game's controls can translate well to pure touch control. An overly literal virtual gamepad, where buttons on screen are mapped directly to game buttons, doesn't work so well because a player concentrating on action in the middle of the screen can't see whether or not his thumbs are lined up over the areas where the emulator will recognize a press. It's not as much of an issue on a physical controller because of tactile feedback: the player can feel the edges of the buttons and directional pad and use that to line his hands up. Even the widely panned Turbo Touch 360 controller had a recessed touch area (for finding the edges) with ridges on the cardinal and diagonal directions, as well as traditional buttons for A, B, Select, and Start. But on a completely flat sheet of glass, the only gestures that a player can reliably do with thumbs without looking are taps and swipes. What sort of virtual D-pad had you planned on including?

Or were you referring to the Mac App Store, where users are expected to plug in a keyboard? Or some non-Apple platform entirely?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm
Posts: 7
tepples wrote:
b2720531 wrote:
If the game is freely distributable by the author then what is the problem? The code for the emulator is already open source. What I need is basically a game that would be fun. This way it can be distributed through the app store. There are already some like that out there.

Your use of the term "app store" makes it sound like you're referring to iOS, where you package a game with an emulator that runs only that game. That's fine so long as the game's controls can translate well to pure touch control. An overly literal virtual gamepad, where buttons on screen are mapped directly to game buttons, doesn't work so well because a player concentrating on action in the middle of the screen can't see whether or not his thumbs are lined up over the areas where the emulator will recognize a press. It's not as much of an issue on a physical controller because of tactile feedback: the player can feel the edges of the buttons and directional pad and use that to line his hands up. Even the widely panned Turbo Touch 360 controller had a recessed touch area (for finding the edges) with ridges on the cardinal and diagonal directions, as well as traditional buttons for A, B, Select, and Start. But on a completely flat sheet of glass, the only gestures that a player can reliably do with thumbs without looking are taps and swipes. What sort of virtual D-pad had you planned on including?

Or were you referring to the Mac App Store, where users are expected to plug in a keyboard? Or some non-Apple platform entirely?


I was referring to emulators like ios Nestopia. It is on github. Here are some screenshots. I have tried playing games like this. If the controller and buttons have enough space between each then it works. Here are some examples:

Attachment:
d609387e-6a6e-11e4-9d65-dad47906a4b1.PNG
d609387e-6a6e-11e4-9d65-dad47906a4b1.PNG [ 165.11 KiB | Viewed 3611 times ]


Attachment:
d78374ee-6a6e-11e4-9526-fa25189d653e.png
d78374ee-6a6e-11e4-9526-fa25189d653e.png [ 77.51 KiB | Viewed 3611 times ]


Attachment:
d5c72d08-6a6e-11e4-9b4b-6cd4775c9970.png
d5c72d08-6a6e-11e4-9b4b-6cd4775c9970.png [ 83.1 KiB | Viewed 3611 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:47 pm 
Online

Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Posts: 19239
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
With virtual gamepads as you have depicted, how can the player tell where his thumbs are relative to the on-screen controls? I have found that the problem isn't just "enough space between"; it's also a problem of "whiffing", or accidentally pressing outside the boundaries of any valid button because my thumbs have drifted from their intended positions. I tried playing the free subset of Pixeline and the Jungle Treasure on my Nexus 7 tablet, and my thumbs kept drifting from the on-screen controls. I had the same problem with Nesoid, an NES emulator, on the same tablet. The number of controls you can reliably press with each thumb without looking is one. This is why so many games for touch-screen devices, such as Canabalt and Rayman Jungle Run, are endless runners.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm
Posts: 7
tepples wrote:
With virtual gamepads as you have depicted, how can the player tell where his thumbs are relative to the on-screen controls? I have found that the problem isn't just "enough space between"; it's also a problem of "whiffing", or accidentally pressing outside the boundaries of any valid button because my thumbs have drifted from their intended positions. I tried playing the free subset of Pixeline and the Jungle Treasure on my Nexus 7 tablet, and my thumbs kept drifting from the on-screen controls. I had the same problem with Nesoid, an NES emulator, on the same tablet. The number of controls you can reliably press with each thumb without looking is one. This is why so many games for touch-screen devices, such as Canabalt and Rayman Jungle Run, are endless runners.


Yes, I see your point. But for some games, like rpgs and others these virtual controllers do the job. Other games it is more difficult.

Me I am looking for distributable games so I can put this on the app store. Maybe some people would like this.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:44 pm
Posts: 7
There is somebody who already had the same idea:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/lawnmow ... 77709?mt=8

Any other homebrews like this that can be used?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:21 pm
Posts: 803
Location: cypress, texas
b2720531 wrote:
wanted to show his picture of Super MarioKart... scroll up to see it.

I remember from a long time ago :o when I was playing this game for hours at a time... maybe for like 8 hours on a Saturday... something like that. There were a few times I can remember when I lost almost all tactile feel because blisters were forming and bursting on my thumbs. Rainbow Road on 150cc... something like that... is not playable without the tactile feeling from controllers, I agree with tepples! :D :)

edit: quoting an attachment isn't possible I guess.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group