FizzBuzz game

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

FizzBuzz game

Post by tepples »

So I'm working on an edutainment game that implements fizzbuzz, and today I got it playable for you all to bang on.

There are a few known missing pieces:
  • Obvious placeholder message instead of the correct message for an incorrect press.
  • No win message; player must press reset after reaching 100.
  • No objective screen ("fizz is multiples of 3, buzz is multiples of 5") before the game screen.
  • Other modes (factors of 60, primes, squares, "Fibonachos") are present and tested to work but currently dummied out in the source code, rather than being introduced in later rounds as the help text implies.
  • The manual isn't written yet.
Screenshot
Screenshot
Previous topics: Font | Programmer screening
tepples

Re: FizzBuzz game

Post by tepples »

Figures that I'd have a stack overflow while implementing a test championed by the founder of Image Stack Overflow. It was exposed during 2-player testing.

Updated download below.
Attachments
fizzbuzz-day26b.zip
(56.6 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
tepples

Post by tepples »

New feature: shows exactly why a number is or isn't a multiple
Attachments
fizzbuzz-day31.zip
(58.67 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Took me a bit to figure it out, but pretty cool concept. I can see the 2 player mode getting pretty intense.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

Even if it eventually becomes a contest of who can press the 15 button sequence the fastest.

Also, nice scrolling fade effect. I vaguely remember you talking about doing that kind of fade before, but I can't find it at the moment so I may have false memory about that.
tepples

Post by tepples »

43110 wrote:Even if it eventually becomes a contest of who can press the 15 button sequence the fastest.
I noticed that too during testing. Hopefully when I add more rounds with multiples of other primes like 7 and 11, as well as the other rules (divisors of some largely composite number like 60 or 96, primes, squares, and Fibonacci numbers), it shouldn't be quite as noticeable. It'd be like 1-1 in SMB1: some of us have enough muscle memory to do it blindfolded.

Anyway, thanks for trying it. I'll try to have multiple rounds playable by next week.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Bad weather interfered with free time, but I got the intro screen going. Now I'd like help: what to display once one player reaches 100.

Known problem: There's an artifact on the side when a 2 player game starts. I think I know how to fix that, but I'd like to do so at the same time as implementing the win animation (whatever that is).
Attachments
fizzbuzz-day46.zip
(60.89 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

Particle effects !