SMB3 SRAM Plus

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

ShaneM

SMB3 SRAM Plus

Post by ShaneM »

This is a purification work. This is a hack of SMB3 that fixes glitches and restores beta features. It also restores Japan-only features such as damage stack, fade-in box effect etc. (A full video of all restored features can be found here; I restored them all except the castle columns, which was adapted for localization purposes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ5kfMeeICc) The original SMB3 had 90 levels, while this one has 109 (here are the lost levels that I restored and fixed up to become playable: http://tcrf.net/Super_Mario_Bros._3/Unused_levels). I have restored most of the lost levels, while adding 3 e-levels from the GBA version: Super Mario Advance 4. I have also restored the lost Hammer Bros. of World 7. I have made use of unused tiles and graphics. The biggest feature: I've added Parabeetle Plains! The new levels have been given an unused Ghost House sprite on the overworld maps. Features, as well as the original damage system have been restored from the original Japanese version, too. I've also fixed a TON of glitches.

Credit goes to infidelity for letting me borrow his SRAM and Insectduel/Special_T/80C for helping me beta test this.

There are two lost enemies, too: gold Cheep-cheeps and green Parabeetles.

Here are some more pics of various levels:

Goomba's Shoe is now red when it comes off, just like the Japan version

Beta elements with an unused palette in an all-new level!

Red piranhas...this is one of the e-levels, Pipe Full of Piranhas

Some more levels (including Lost Levels hidden in the game's code)!

The Japan box-in level effect that ate up a LOT of space in bank $0F with the Japan SFX!

Okay... I can only do so much. Report any glitches found if any. I think there are none.

Patch it to SMB3 v1.1 ROM. The CRC16 of the original ROM is = CF5C

Download: PLEASE SEE NEXT POST BELOW
Last edited by ShaneM on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaneM

Re: SMB3 SRAM Plus

Post by ShaneM »

There was an glitch caused by 2 Player mode where the winning player would switch high scores with the losing player during 2 Player mini battles. I brought this to infidelity's attention and he has corrected it within his SRAM patch. Since my SRAM is based off of his, I've incorporated the fix. Credit goes to infidelity for the fix. I had to put the code in a different place since the Japanese VRAM frames for fade-in took the spot where infidelity fixed this. (His patch v7 is not public yet; I got a pre-release of it to test it and mine is the first to fix this publicly.)

Patch it to SMB3 v1.1 ROM. The CRC16 of the original ROM is = CF5C

SEE BELOW FOR DOWNLOAD
Last edited by ShaneM on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Here is a new build.

I've actually discovered a Nintendo-original bug while reading the official SMAS SNES Player's guide.

Turns out that Nintendo lied, here; that glitch is not fixed in the Allstars version. What they did was make it harder to access the glitch, not fix it, while compromising original level design and level physics.

I've fixed it on my NES version. What I did was added 8 blocks and moved the pipe slightly to the right. My version is truly the only one that really fixes this quirk.

I've also filled in the end of the level with blocks, since Nintendo forgot to do that and blank space was visible.

Original:

Fixed:

Original:

Fixed:

SEE BELOW FOR DOWNLOAD

--ShaneM
Last edited by ShaneM on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Here is a new build which fixes the garbage and tile glitching behind the Spiral Tower on the first part of World 5 if the player has a P-Wing on the outside portion with the 1-UPs.

Patch it to SMB3 v1.1 ROM. The CRC16 of the original ROM is = CF5C --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
Last edited by ShaneM on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
SkinnyV

Post by SkinnyV »

The work you did on this is unbelieveable. I can't wait to try to play this on my Everdrive. Thanks!
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

SkinnyV wrote:The work you did on this is unbelieveable. I can't wait to try to play this on my Everdrive. Thanks!
Thank you. I put a lot of pride and effort into making my work elegant. --ShaneM, the Master of ASM
Polar Hacker

Post by Polar Hacker »

Do you have a list of all the glitches that are fixed?