Godzilla - King of Monsters! A Godzilla fangame-New Rom 5/10

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Vectrex2809

Godzilla - King of Monsters! A Godzilla fangame-New Rom 5/10

Post by Vectrex2809 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:51 am

Update 5/10 - More enemies!!! New ROM!!! Awesomeness :)

Time for a new ROM! This one got more enemies and is much more polished than the first one. This one is also much closer to the final game. Now I just need to make more levels and maybe add a feature or two.
Also, in order to focus the gameplay more on destruction, I'm going to add multiple endings to the game, based on the number of points you get. So better smash up all those little cities! Plus it enhances repayability they say. Might as well add these :)

New ROM is "gojira-2.nes"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 4/22 - New ROM, Bosses, enemies (kinda) and attacks!

While the first version of this game was a mere 3-screen demo, here we have a pseudo-first level (Gonna add a few more screens to it) with attacks, enemies and the first boss of the game.
This game is by no means complete but I did make a lot of progress since the last time. Can you get the high score? New ROM is "gojira-01.nes"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you might have guessed, I really like Japanese monster movies. Especially the Godzilla ones.
Being tired of the same old NES Godzilla games, I decided to program a new one. Enjoy this early 3-screen demo! Enemies and boss monsters coming soon.
I just need to program interactions with every background piece and Godzilla/enemies, and it's only going to be a matter of level design from that point on.
Cart uses UNROM with CHR-RAM, first time I use CHR-RAM. And it's pretty darn useful :)
For some reason, changing the attributes when destroying a building proved to be a major pain in the ***

TL;DR Download below!!!
Attachments
gojira-2.nes
Third version. Progress is strong with this one
(128.02 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
gojira-01.nes
Second version :)
(128.02 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
gojira.nes
Godzilla (Early version)
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Last edited by Vectrex2809 on Mon May 11, 2015 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Krill

Re: Godzilla - King of Monsters! A Godzilla fangame

Post by Krill » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:46 am

This looks good, I'm interested in seeing how this progresses.

Vectrex2809

Re: Godzilla - King of Monsters! A Godzilla fangame-New Rom

Post by Vectrex2809 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Bump, game update

Vectrex2809

Post by Vectrex2809 » Sun May 10, 2015 1:54 pm

Get equipped with

NEW GODZILLA ROM

Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino » Wed May 13, 2015 3:13 pm

I know I'm going to sound like a real jerk, but have you thought about having someone help you with the artwork? I noticed how large the vehicles where compared to Godzilla, and I was bored so I made a miniature tank.
Tank.png
Tank.png (200 Bytes) Viewed 4855 times
I also think you could replace the font color for something that could also be an explosion, like this:
Font.png
Font.png (205 Bytes) Viewed 4855 times
Another thing: For buildings that are 2 16x16 blocks tall, wouldn't it make sense for you not to be able to walk on the top part of the building and crush with the bottom being fine? You can also get the bottom of the building and have a floating top part. Maybe you could have it to where the top part of the building occludes Godzilla and gets destroyed with the rest of the building? Maybe you could make it t where the building can only be destroyed by punching it because Godzilla isn't tall enough to walk on to it? Or wait, the NES doesn't have BG tile priorities, does it...

Ryoga

Post by Ryoga » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:48 pm

I have tested the three versions of the demo. The gameplay is pretty good. gojira-01 versión has a bug that causes the lobster boss locks into the lower right corner after a while. It seems that the error was corrected in gojira-02 version.

Punch

Post by Punch » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:50 am

Gojiraaaaaa
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.