Vigilante Ninja (edit)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Estlib

Re: Vigilante Ninja (edit)

Post by Estlib »

I could make a limited cd release of the music to go with the cartridges i guess (which would be put in together with the cartridges), but other than that, theyll be all uploaded to youtube for free listening soon(ish).
NOPE.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

I watched the video you posted about the redesign of Level 1.

I saw the intro and it says "Beware! The wizard has enchanted all of the animals to attack you.". I just love it when game developers make an argument why there's so many NPCs trying to kill you. While Mobius is flooded with Eggman's robots, and Avalice (Freedom Planet) with a vengeous prince's robots, your world has just normal animals which are enchanted. Wow, I just like this idea!

The background music is also good too. Nice, cheerful, epic at some moments and also long.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

The game cartridge will look like this. (Photoshopped)
cart.png
Still need to work on the manual a bit more.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Where are you shipping cartridges from?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Pittsburgh.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Will I have to get a physical cartridge (which means that I'll have to pay the expensive US shipping to Croatia) in order to get a ROM when I buy the game?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Hmm. I hadn't thought about that.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

...not to mention import taxes :/ Battle Kid 2 ended up costing me more than twice the asking price on the webshop. Not dougeff's fault, but makes me have to think extra hard about what stuff I bother importing :(
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Yeah, wouldn't it just be easy that I pay you over PayPal for "goods and services" and then you send me the ROM?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Imagine a house of cards (I couldn't find appropriate image, all google searches go to TV series)

Me: Just one more card on top

(house of cards collapses)

Me: Dammit!

Yes, small last minute code change introduced huge complicated bug. Debugging now.

EDIT, fixed. Deleting a few lines of code, pushed an important subroutine from the $a000 bank into the $8000 bank. It was called when I had bank switched the $8000 bank out, and it jumped to data instead of code.

Interestingly, it managed to find it's way back to the main loop every frame, but because the subroutine handled sprite collisions...it returned "collision detected" every frame, for every type of collision. I was getting 1ups over and over, and getting hit by nothing, over and over. Fun bug.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Wow that's scary. You should use some kind of offline version control program so that you can always restore the previous build without having to use Save As for every single change.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I'm just tidying up the final details of my game. What's your opinion of...
Level3Tests.png
Level3Tests.png (5.33 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
Context. The top left was the original. I recolored him black...but that doesn't work for level 3, all black background. Do you think the bottom most sprite is a good idea, since I prefer the black. I just game him some brown outlining (just for level 3).
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Why not both? Fabrics are often different colors based on lighting.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I like the old blue in the cave better. Of the five samples in that picture it is the best one. I think the change in scenery/lighting can justify a change of colour for different levels, so it need not be the same colour everywhere. (Brown outside, blue inside is perfectly fine.)

What I really think is important is that it stands out against the background so you can see what you're doing. I don't feel the brown outline does this job well in the cave. The black against the darkest grass in the day does not stand out well either, but neither did the old dark blue. (That's why I think the lighter blue in the cave was the best.)
tepples

Post by tepples »

In Super Mario Bros., Goomba and Buzzy change colors in dark levels.