Vigilante Ninja (edit)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: Vigilante Ninja (edit)

Post by tepples »

dougeff wrote:Although, he is exactly 32 pixels in length in both, the aspect ratio of the TV, he looks super stretched when sliding...about 25% longer. I think I will have to adjust.
It's 14 percent, at least on NTSC. Something 28 pixels wide and 32 pixels tall will appear square on a 4:3 TV calibrated to the standard.

Showing my work
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

dougeff wrote:Although, he is exactly 32 pixels in length in both, the aspect ratio of the TV, he looks super stretched when sliding...about 25% longer.
The pixel aspect ratio of the NTSC NES is 8:7, meaning that pixels are ~1.14 times wider than they're tall, so 25% is too much... Are you by any chance using an HDTV that's stretching the 4:3 picture to 16:9?
I should have made him 26 pixels long sliding (26 x 1.25 = 32) to compensate.
Since the PAR is actually ~1.14, the correct width for the sliding frame is 28 pixels.
But, it would probably look just as weird in an emulator.
You can't please everyone. I prefer to assume that a CRT SDTV is the correct way to display NES video, so I obey the official PAR or 8:7. If people who don't know any better prefer to play every existing NES game in squashed (square pixels) or stretched (4:3 stretched to 16:9) form, that's not my game's fault. If they play every game wrong, they probably don't care.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

However, the stance itself is too stiff and static. Take Megaman's slide, for instance, which has a dramatic gesture to the position which is also seen in baseball slides.
You mean like this?

https://goo.gl/images/RqERhu
(Image of soccer / football kick while sliding)
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Yeah, that could work really well.

EDIT:

...but if you try to use that stance, you might want to depict clearly whether the sword or legs are intended to be used offensively.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

This is what I came up with...
Attachments
Slide3.png
Slide3.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 10819 times
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That's a big improvement
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

That looks so cool!
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

That's much better, and definitely a step in the right direction. However, an even stronger exaggeration of the position
could make it look less like he's reclining and more like he's sliding. Also, the way the head overlaps what he should be sliding under is a bit distracting.

You might try rotating him toward the camera some to get the head lower, and drawing the lower arm further back to exaggerate the horizontal movement. (Right now, the lower forearm is facing forward, but it would, in a slide, drag behind the person).

Also, have you thought about altering the design of the character to provide something to help show movement? I-Ninja has a bandana that flows behind the character for example. I think something like the excess bit of hood in Ninja Hattori's design could benefit this design. CHR space allowing, it could extend slightly behind head to show horizontal movement (running, sliding, etc.), above the head to show downward movement (falling) or downward to show upward movement (jumping). Excess belt flap could serve the same purpose, although you'd have to be careful to avoid unintentional readings of the sprite since the belt shares color with the flesh. Even if CHR space is tight, sacrificing some of the total size of the head to allow a more unique silhouette could be beneficial.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I like the new slide the way it is.

BTW, I'm mere hours away from flashing the ROMs. So, there will be no more revisions. (actually, Infinite NES lives will be).
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

No worries. Glad to have been of help.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

No worries
Are you from Australia? I thought you were Korean.

Edit. I see Cowlitz County is in SW Washington state. I'm guessing American.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

I'm American but reside in Korea. I've actually never been to Washington though. I started working on the Cowlitz games due to forum connections and was attracted by the charity nature of the project. (We have people from three countries working on that game.)
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

Soundtrack now avaliable https://youtu.be/WkinjUsG2fU

Is there a way to get a cartridge in europe? The toll from USA is a turnoff for me.
NOPE.
Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox »

Did you just change the slide animation? Haha, I actually liked how the original was. It was like the ultimate wedgie slide. Like if you ever slide like that you would be giving yourself the biggest wedgie ever. But honestly the new pose does look better graphically and seems to make more sense.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Estlib wrote:Soundtrack now avaliable https://youtu.be/WkinjUsG2fU
The little I heard from the soundtrack so far was really cool! Will check this out soon!