It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:37 pm 

When will you combine multiple levels into one ROM? All I see is demos of individual levels.

I have a gameplay suggestion. When hearts are full and you collect a heart, it would be good if that would count as an extra heart or 8 coins because it's like a sixth of a life or sixth of 50 coins which is a life. I don't like it how I collect many hearts when my life is full, but when I lose them, I've already collected all weapons and no heart will spawn from an enemy. Then, it would be good if an extra weapon would count as an extra heart; or 8 coins if all hearts are full; if all weapons are collected. That way all collectables would actually mean something.

Here's a bit of code that came to my mind. CollectWeapon, CollectHeart, Collect5Coin and Collect1Coin are functions that the game should call upon collision with a weapon, heart or coins.
Code:
CollectWeapon:
lda collectedWeapons
cmp #TOTAL_WEAPONS
brge CollectHeart
lda collectedWeapons
inc
sta collectedWeapons
rts
CollectHeart:
lda hearts
cmp #TOTAL_HEARTS
brge Add8Coins
lda hearts
inc
sta hearts
rts
Collect5Coin:
lda coins
clc
adc #5
jmp Check50Coins
Add8Coins:
lda coins
clc
adc #8
jmp Check50Coins
Collect1Coin:
lda coins
inc
jmp Check50Coins
Check50Coins:
cmp #COINS_NEEDED_FOR_A_1UP
brlo .skip
lda lives
inc
sta lives
lda #0
.skip:
sta coins
rts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:59 pm 

Re:bigger mapper

Interesting you mentioned that, because I just converted the first 3 levels to MMC3, but I will not be releasing a free version of that, nor the full game, I'm hoping to get it on a cart later this year.

Still need to redo some graphics, put new music in, etc, print boxes and labels and manuals. Lots to do.

Re:hearts,

I'm considering having multiple levels of difficulty, and possibly more hearts for the easy version (and fewer for hard)...will need to work out the details later. Maybe half hearts like Zelda? IDK.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:42 pm 

Will you implement the feature that I've recommended?

Also, I cannot afford a real NES so I'm playing on emulators. If you sell your game, it would be nice if you could sell a ROM then just like the PC game Retro City Rampage has an NES ROM of ROM City Rampage. I would be happy to pay for the game, but not for an NES or for shipping of your game because shipping is expensive for my geographical position.

There's no DRM for ROM files as far as I know, but people today buy DRM-free games and are very respectful because their conscience tells them "Your game seller has been fair to you so be fair to them by not pirating.". If you're afraid of piracy, you could program and upload fake ROMs that don't work or that randomly crash or that reset the score and lives or don't reward you when you pass a level or finish the game. Earthbound's DRM resets the save data when you beat the game. I think something like that could be done to fight piracy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:32 pm 

Quote:
Will you implement the feature that I've recommended?

I don't know. Maybe yes. Maybe no.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:58 am 

Yet another update, level 3, with lots of changes...

(EDIT, REMOVED LINK, OLD VERSION)

I've made the collectible items completely deterministic (rather than random), and if you have all the throwing tools, you will get hearts instead.

Falling is now acceleration down.

Graphics changed some more.

Fixed a few minor bugs.

Now on to redo level 2 and re-redo level 1.

Last edited by dougeff on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:14 pm 

More and more changes.

-new physics
-redrawn sprites
-animation on enemy death, boss death
-options screen
....3 levels of difficulty
- easy = half damage, slightly easier bosses
- medium = as is
- hard = max 5 hearts, slightly harder bosses

....cheats (extra lives, retain weapons on death)
(level select not functional)

New link to level 1 (completely redone)...

(EDIT, REMOVED LINK, OLD VERSION, buggy)

-things left to do....new music, redo title screen (again).
-rework level 2-3
-level 4-5, etc.
-story for beginning, with graphics.

Attachments:
vig38big.png
vig38big.png [ 2.6 KiB | Viewed 1180 times ]

Last edited by dougeff on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:48 pm 

Holding up basically freezes the player physics.
Edit:
There's actually still a lot of weird button things. Down similarly stores your speed which allows you to get the high jump from a standstill.

Getting hit releases the stored speed:
Edit2: Holding B makes me walk in place.
Edit3: Holding A after getting hit allows a jump
That last one could be intentional. I'm noting it because you can move left or right after getting hit, but the jump only comes out after the invinciblity. Basically you can move immediately after getting hit, but the jump happens frames after.
edit4: Actually I just realized holding A also freezes grounded physics. I was wondering what happened at the end of the gif above. And the answer is that I landed near the edge with a non zero traveling right speed. Since I was holding A, I didn't continue to move right until I released it.
Edit5: You can't slide while holding A. You can crouch in the air if you're not holding A.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:40 pm 

Interesting.

I tried to completely rewrite the game physics, and that immediately broke the game in a dozen ways. So, I scrapped that, and just did a bunch of ugly hacks to the existing crappy physics. It seemed to work. I did 3 test runs this morning, one on an NES, and I didn't notice anything unusual.

Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:43 pm 

Link updated (now marked 39), changes made, as suggested. (except for the jump after getting hit, that still needs fixed)...fixed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:44 pm 

Hold right, let go of right, press and hold B immediately after. Physics freeze during the sword swing.

hold down, press A. No air control during jump.

Run right, jump, let go of right, press B. Horizontal physics freeze in midair.

For what it's worth, you can still hold B to swing when invincibility ends like the jump things. You can also buffer slides but that stuff's honestly kind of cool.

Edit: You can buffer a jump out of a slide, but that's also kind of cool.
Edit2: You still can't slide while you're holding A.

Are you isolating buttons with AND before checking for these actions? A lot of these seem like you compare with a specific value, but some other button being held (like A) makes the number different. But you can and out the bit for A so it doesn't make a difference. Or you're allowing movement with right+B but not B alone. I could debug the game to see, I suppose.

Edit3: If you try to pause during a sword swing and release the button before the swing ends, the input is missed.

Edit4: You can't pause during a slide at all. It seems your game engine isn't structured in a way that separates things. What state the player is in should not be able to affect if I can pause.
Edit5: You also can't change weapons while sliding or swinging the sword.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:00 am 

It skips getting/handling input during 'animations' (sliding, cutting). (And apparently skips L/R movement, start/select, etc.) I didn't want it to change states in the middle of a cut.

It slows you while cutting/throwing.

It ignores L/R input while pressing down (to avoid where he's ducking, but also moving L/R)

In what circumstance do I need to hold down while jumping, and THEN also add L or R?

EDIT, I guess my real question, for all you testers out there...does Y acceleration down feel about right? Does X deceleration feel about right?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:17 am 

How I operate: I play the game normally. But the second I notice something I think is wrong, I investigate. The reason I found anything is because I noticed the sword swinging stopped me while running, but only sometimes. This is the kind of thing that makes players feel the controls are wrong, even if that doesn't necessarily make them smell blood in the water.

If I find out something happens inconsistently, I will then try to find out why on the design level and then the logic level. And then I'll think about if they match. And if they do match, it wasn't actually wrong and I've learned something. If they don't, it's a bug and I may as well tell the developer. They can then tell me why they did what they did if it's not a bug, and I probably still learn something.
Quote:
It slows you while cutting/throwing.

It doesn't consistently, though. Or I'd have "got" what you were going for and not pointed it out. The logic and design would match in my mind.

If you just hold right and press B it doesn't slow you down. It's when you hold right, release right, then press B that it happens.

If you want it to slow down, that's a bug, and if you don't want it to slow down, that other thing is a bug.

There's the game at half speed so it's easy to see. Something displayed in that gif is probably a bug. Or if you want it inconsistent in this way, then I think it might be bad design.

If swinging the sword without left or right just zeroed out my speed outright (as in I didn't continue to move after the swing was over), I would have thought it was a game mechanic and not a bug. I promise, I try to think about things before I post bugs.
Quote:
In what circumstance do I need to hold down while jumping, and THEN also add L or R?

I think that's the wrong question. Why shouldn't it work when I do?! Say I do hold down, and then press B, and then hold A to buffer a jump. And say I release down slightly after that jump begins. This means I've been scammed out of jump control for some frames and there's no reason for it. To me this is like asking, "Why would the player want to pause when they're sliding?" Even if they never would on purpose, there's no reason it shouldn't work. Is the only reason that you don't want to program it? Think about what that says. This is a game you want to sell, right?

Your game seems to expect perfectly clean input, but that's not how players play. There will absolutely be times where a player will end up holding down during jump for some reason, and they'll feel something is wrong, even if they don't quite know why.

Have you ever accidentally pressed a diagonal in a game? I have. Your game makes me stop moving, then, in a way that's unexpected. If you had some mechanic where my accidental diagonal did something, okay. But you don't, and that's why I'm saying there's there's no reason for it.

Your game does not seem to handle "dirty" well. And while it's much more likely someone will release right before pressing B, holding down while jumping is a really similar problem. People aren't TASbot. You should have leeway for "dirty" input.

Quote:
It ignores L/R input while pressing down (to avoid where he's ducking, but also moving L/R)

So does Super Mario Bros. But not in the air.
So does Kirby's Adventure. But not in the air.
So do lots of games, not in the air.

As far as controls, I think your character moves WAY too fast to react to what's coming up. Your character moves at 5 pixels per frame. (I think) There are 113 pixels in front of your character's eyes. This is 22 frames to see and react to something on screen. But in practical terms, it's less than this. If an enemy is also moving toward me like the hedgehogs tend to, it will hit me even sooner. Consider a player that doesn't know the exact level layouts as you do because you made the game. Could they react, or do they have to get hit a lot to memorize what's ahead for their second play? Edit: Possible I'm wrong about how many pixels he's moving per frame, but regardless it definitely feels too fast to react to things.

X acceleration seems uneven. Like I accelerate with a fixed value for some frames, and then get a HUGE BOOST right at the end. This huge boost frequently ends up getting me hit. I'm planning for the consistent acceleration, but that last boost just pushes me into stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:14 pm 

Quote:
moves WAY too fast

Review of speeds...

SMB1 - walk = 1.5 pixels per frame
SMB1 - run = 2.5 pixels per frame
Megaman1 = 1.5 pixels per frame
Kirby = 1.5 pixels per frame
Sonic the Hedgehog, normal running = 6 pixels per frame

Vigilante Ninja, old programming, builds 0-33 = 4 pixels per frame
new programming, builds 34-39 = 3.5 pixels per frame

I suppose it is going a bit too fast. Not quite Sonic speeds, but well over SMB running speed. I'll try it at a reduced rate 2.5 - 3, and see how it plays.

Quote:
Other button comments...

I will do my best to improve button consistency.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:34 pm 

I think I've worked all the bugs out. Here's Level 1 and Level 3. Level 2 needs some more work.

-Max speed is now at 2.3 pixels per frame (slide is 3)
-I've slowed the fastest enemies from 2 pixels per frame to 1.5 pixels per frame
-Jumps are slightly higher, unless you release A early, then it's less
-slight level changes and graphics edit on the Ninja

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/pyxu ... g2_Lv1.nes
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/zow1 ... g2_Lv3.nes

Note, while moving code around, I accidentally made it so you can slide in mid air (down + B). I actually think it's cool, so that will remain. It's kind of like a jump kick. And keep in mind, you're invulnerable during slides, so this could be a good attack strategy. I haven't tested it enough yet.

EDIT: link updated July 20

Last edited by dougeff on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:22 am 

Now it's hard to make long jumps in terms of less flight and more x-ishness (how do I say it correctly... Less hitting the head into the ceiling which bounces you into the bottomless pit and more horizontal movement). I'd like a feature where the player can tap the D-pad to activate a sprint move and then jump to make a horizontal jump without hitting the ceiling. This happens to me a lot of times when there's little surface to walk on and when the ceiling is so low. The jumps are very fast upwards, but slow rightwards.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next