It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:53 am 

Parallax is a pretty good multiple-layer effect, but I think an even better effect is having it so that the background shows through transparent parts of the foreground, instead of having solid areas surrounding any foreground objects that don't quite fill up a whole block. :lol:

That's one of the main reasons I decided not to have slopes outside of these minecart tracks, since I would need different slope tiles for every single thing I want to have the slopes overlaid on top of, and palette issues would complicate that a lot even if I did want to spend the tiles on it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:12 am 

Sprites cover a multitude of sins, right up until sprite overflow. Of course, level design to prevent sprite overflow is also a skill some ROMhackers don't seem to realize exists.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:53 pm 

Minecarts mostly work after I found and fixed an out-of-bounds array access. There's still some jitter, as you can tell by the vibrating player. They're rideable, and there's track pieces that cause minecarts to reverse direction, jump into the air, and speed up/slow down. I gave them only one pair of wheels instead of two because it looks less wrong going up and down slopes.

Surprisingly they didn't take up nearly as much space as I thought they would to code the logic for, only about half a kilobyte so far.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:39 am 

There is now an item shop accessible from the level select. I'll probably have it so that it's not accessible immediately and you have to go rescue the shopkeeper in-game or something first.

Also rope is now a usable item. I just need to find a good in-game purpose for lamp oil now.

A cooler gameplay gif showing off minecarts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:55 am 

Awesome job! Looks great, can't wait to play this :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:00 pm 

Wow it's getting good! :D I could do a Let's Play on this with a friend of mine as soon as you make the game available for download.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:29 pm 

I followed these steps to clone the source code and build it on my Xubuntu box, which has Python and ca65 installed:
Code:
git clone https://github.com/NovaSquirrel/NovaTheSquirrel.git
cd NovaTheSquirrel
sh mk.bat
fceux nova.nes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:03 pm 

I try to keep the repository in a state where it's always able to build without errors and where the game works, but it's still not even close to done, content-wise (12 levels out of the planned 40+).

You can play it if you want to try it and give feedback (all finished levels should be accessible) but it's still not really in a state to be like, reviewed or anything.

Attachments:
nova.nes [256.02 KiB]
Downloaded 37 times