It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:18 pm 

So with all the ice blocks, minecarts, lava, and cola ads in world 3, are they to be called the Colava Mines?

Quote:
Oh Really?
Nice. I did my testing back in world 2 in a spot without access to deathpits, so the long time before an iceblock disappears stymied my efforts.

Besides, doing a running jump off of an up-B-placed block to a midair down-B gets you far enough for everything I could find. I suspect the world 1 level showing vertical transitions could be skipped about thusly.

Quote:
as long as it's not so "useful" that the entire game ends up being played like that, and as it's still somewhat difficult to pull off.
It doesn't work without a deathpit (or lava/water, but either means you can just use icepower to walk across) and iceblock power is mostly unavailable until world 3 (…outside of the shop, hmm. But, at 30-40 a pop, and no currency multipickups, it's not cheap.) On a spike pit, it already acts like Shovel Knight's Mobile Gear, intentionally [as we've had that "something cool" secret behind onesuch] so…

Also, iceblock power doesn't kill enemies, only stuns, which is a surprisingly large drawback!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:49 pm 

I've considered making it so that you have to copy an ability before you can buy it, but you can get the ice ability early on world 2, and you don't unlock the shop until you beat world 1 anyway.

I'm actually not sure what good prices for items would be. I probably should go and make statistics for the amount of money in each level so I can get a feel for what the average amount is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:23 pm 

I really like those arrow block puzzles. I'll have to play this again now that I have an N8 everdrive. Really like the art style.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:36 pm 

You're probably gonna have to revamp the shop menu anyway, since it's close to full-up now (once you add more abilities). Probably break into sub-menus.

An addition that currently might make sense: eat-in (that is, immediately applied) riceballs* pizza. Even if you do normally refill health between stages, an eat-in XL would make sense [starting with 8 rather than 4]. Of course, a small discount would apply compared to take-out.

Bug report: You can reorganize the pause menu on page 2 with select, but it doesn't move the actual actions (at least, not Exit Level- I moved it to the bottom, and it did nothing there, but empty slot 1 then would still exit level). It also doesn't save the new positions…unsurprising as I don't think this was quite intended.

hey, the shop menu doesn't wrap horizontally. That would reduce the maximum number of presses to get to any item by 3, y'know.

A buy-multiple (10?) option would be nice?

The shop doesn't tell you "you can't have more of those" when you try to buy more than 99 of an item, though at least it doesn't charge you.

Bug report: fireballs can stick in ground. Bounce a normal shot from an exactly four-block-high drop [there's one in last room of 1-1…but no fire enemy] and it'll stick into the lower ground. (Five doesn't work.)

Huh, world1's music is gone. :(

*Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:40 pm 

Ten abilities seems like a good number to me. Kirby's Adventure (for comparison) has about 20 normal ones, with weird duplicates like fire/burning and ice/freeze that I would have combined. You're right that there isn't a lot of space for potential additional items of any sort in the future though.

The eat-in could make sense for fixed-inventory stages, giving you a little help since you can't carry outside items in.

I took out the music a long time ago because a <30 second loop that plays throughout the entire game got a little annoying. I'll probably actually use that theme a bit later in the game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6