Game complete: Blurred Lines 2048 by Demptronic

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

Re: Game complete: Blurred Lines 2048 by Demptronic

Post by thefox »

raydempsey wrote:I figured out how to upload my game to a cart and play it on a Nintendo but there is one problem: the sprites are being assigned the wrong tiles.
Most likely cause is that you haven't initialized all of the mapper's CHR registers properly. Emulators will typically initialize the registers to an NROM-compatible configuration, but this doesn't necessarily happen on real hardware and is not something that should be relied on.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Most likely cause is that you haven't initialized all of the mapper's CHR registers properly.[/quote]

I'm not sure what that means or how I would initialize the mapper's CHR registers. All I did was cut up the .nes file and upload the portions to the cart. What should I have done instead?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

He means in the software you have to initialize all of the CHR bank select registers. In particular, it looks like you don't actually set the banks at $0000-0FFF, but I think you set all the others. Emulators often set them up with 0 or some other convenient default, but the MMC3 does not initialize it automatically (i.e. it's a bit random or at least unreliable). Just stick this in your reset I guess:

Code: Select all

lda #$40
sta $8000
lda #0
sta $8001
lda #$41
sta $8000
lda #1
sta $8001
It's generally important to initialize every mapper register on startup.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

raydempsey wrote:All I did was cut up the .nes file and upload the portions to the cart. What should I have done instead?
There's nothing wrong with how you split or uploaded the files, you just didn't fully initialize the mapper in your code. Emulators sometimes do you the "favor" of initializing some things that the real hardware doesn't, so never count on that and always initialize all registers.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

It works fine now that I initialized all the mappers. Here is a copy of the cartridge sticker as it stands. Might change it, might not.
Attachments
fullcover.png
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Personally, I'd alter the appearance of the T rating to not be a fraudulent duplicate of an ESRB rating, but then again I suppose this whole ROM is an unauthorized cover, so this is probably not a concern of yours.

Also I think the spine text at the top looks a little bit too wide to fit an NES cart, but this is only a guess. If you've measured it and you know it's fine, then never mind me.
raydempsey

Re: Game complete: Blurred Lines 2048 by Demptronicf

Post by raydempsey »

The cartridge I'm using is from infiniteneslives.com and the proportions on certain parts are slightly different. I can't legally sell it and who would buy it anyway so the infringements are for me only. I was thinking of taking it to a copy shop like Kinko's or something but I don't know if they will print it because of legal reasons. I've also heard that photo sticker paper has a tendency to have the ink rub off so I'm not set on how I will print it.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Do you have a recommendation for a brand and type of sticker paper to use for the printed label? I see to only be able to find photo glossy sticker paper online. Is that what I should be using or is there something else that works best?
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

Sorry for this ultra huge necro post. :?

I just got around to playing this great game on nestopia and was wondering why every 3-4 seconds the graphics become glitchy and garbled with faces everywhere then go back to normal. IS there an updated version or am i missing something?
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

*Spitfire_NES* wrote:Sorry for this ultra huge necro post. :?

I just got around to playing this great game on nestopia and was wondering why every 3-4 seconds the graphics become glitchy and garbled with faces everywhere then go back to normal. IS there an updated version or am i missing something?
I am not sure. I programmed it to run on FCEUX.