Game complete: Blurred Lines 2048 by Demptronic

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

raydempsey

Game complete: Blurred Lines 2048 by Demptronic

Post by raydempsey »

My first NES Homebrew game is now complete. Basically, it is a remake of the popular mobile game "2048" but enhanced with the music of Blurred Lines. It is a shot-for-shot recreation of the music video complete with dancing half-naked ladies and music that is very accurate to the original song. I will be creating a YouTube video the compares the game's video to the actual music video so people can see the shot-for-shot intricacy of everything built.

The game is meant to be a novelty - people will probably play it through once and then show a friend. I started this game last year and have been working on it off and on since then.

Let me know what you think! Yes I understand many people hate this song. I used to like it somewhat but after having to hear it 1000 times to study it, I don't want to hear it anymore.
Attachments
2048-9.png
2048-9.png (3.2 KiB) Viewed 15653 times
BlurredLines2048.nes
(384.02 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
rainwarrior

Re: Game complete: Blurred Lines 2048 by Demptronic

Post by rainwarrior »

Ha ha this is quite bizarre. Well put together, and pleasant sound.

The only thing I'd suggest is that the music should just loop instead of stopping and restarting, kinda killed the moment for me when it just stopped in the middle of a game. (I guess this is a bit of a conflict between being background music for a game, and an accurate representation of the music video?)
Last edited by rainwarrior on Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Cool, but please remember to initialize your memory. :)

Also, don't use the color $0D!
Attachments
unitialized-memory.png
unitialized-memory.png (105.88 KiB) Viewed 15619 times
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

love it, raydempsey,

it's my new favorite NES cover song. (My old favorite was Sweet Child on DPadHero).

Great samples. What program did you use to convert them to DPCM? Mine always come out a bit quiet (with Famitracker).
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
nicklausw

Post by nicklausw »

thefox wrote:Cool, but please remember to initialize your memory.
Does NDX's random RAM generation thing actually occur on a real NES?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Nestopia complains that it is a "Corrupt file!"
thenendo

Post by thenendo »

nicklausw wrote:
Looks and runs fine on an Everdrive.

Nice job dempsey, you put lot of craft into this!
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

thenendo wrote:
nicklausw wrote:
Looks and runs fine on an Everdrive.
The Everdrive and PowerPak both initialize RAM before loading and starting a ROM.

If you put it on a cartridge by itself, RAM would be "random" on power-on. It's random with a very uneven distribution, but unpredictable nonetheless. Any given bit could be 1 or 0 on power-on.

What NDX does is evenly distributed, I think, so it's not a good statistical model, but it is sufficient to demonstrate what could happen on a real NES.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

rainwarrior wrote:Nestopia complains that it is a "Corrupt file!"
The header marks 512 KiB of CHR, but only 256 KiB is present ... nevermind that MMC3 can't address more than 256 KiB.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Great use of samples. Any chance that the same engine could be used for #WORDCRIMES as well? But that might take some more samples: 9 different "good girl" instead of 2.
raydempsey wrote:I will be creating a YouTube video the compares the game's video to the actual music video so people can see the shot-for-shot intricacy of everything built.
Would the publishers who represent Marvin Gaye and Robin Thicke object to such a video? I wonder if sync licenses are even made available to amateurs.
rainwarrior wrote:The only thing I'd suggest is that the music should just loop
Instead of stopping, it'd go back to "If you can't hear"/"If you can't write".
thefox

Post by thefox »

nicklausw wrote:
Nope, but I didn't try to model what would happen on a real NES in NDX. The purpose of the randomization is to make it easy to notice if your (or somebody else's) program relies on uninitialized memory, which is almost always a bad idea. Most emulators paint a too optimistic picture (from homebrewer's point of view) by zeroing out memory and initializing mappers into an NROM compatible state.

(I'm not randomizing mapper register state just yet, but I've planned to add an option for that as well.)

EDIT: And by "nope" I meant: no, it doesn't happen exactly like that on real NES, but the implications for the program you are developing are the same.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

dougeff wrote: Great samples. What program did you use to convert them to DPCM? Mine always come out a bit quiet (with Famitracker).
I used Audacity to create the samples. Problem I found was that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't see to get the samples to reach the full 4095 byte size. I think each ended up being 4082. This made it so when I played them back to back, there was a brief pause between them. Not sure how to get that correct. After I produced them in Audacity, I used FamiTracker next and that created the ultimate files that I used.

The next thing I need to accomplish is to transfer the game to a cartridge I bought (TKROM 512) that can be flashed. Problem is that the program I used asked me to separate the file so that the PRG file is separate. I have a .chr file, and I have the file that I program with that is compiled using NESASM but I don't know how to save just the PRG to a separate file.
tepples

Post by tepples »

To get just the PRG data, remove the first 16 bytes in a hex editor.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

raydempsey wrote:Problem I found was that no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't see to get the samples to reach the full 4095 byte size. I think each ended up being 4082. This made it so when I played them back to back, there was a brief pause between them. Not sure how to get that correct.
The maximum DPCM sample length is 4081 bytes. (255 * 16 + 1)

See: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/APU_DMC
It's an 8-bit length value (max 255), shifted by 4 bits (x16), and the DPCM unit always reads one extra sample (a mistake in the implementation, IMO).
tepples

Post by tepples »

♪ I found a new bug ♪
You're not rereading
The keys I'm feeding
When drums are beating
♪ It makes a clock glitch
Spurious right presses
Need to be addressèd
'cause the game feels messy