Ngin (my NES game engine)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Erockbrox

Re: Ngin (my NES game engine)

Post by Erockbrox »

You know how there exist engines like Unity and unreal and gamemakr and such for current gen games. Wouldn't it be cool if someone made a big game engine for like NES or SNES or something retro.

I know you are making one, but I mean like a big company producing a big game engine for a retro console. I'm sure people would pay for an engine like that.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Estlib wrote:Is this an engine like one would have in a gamemaker where you just (simplified) essentially drop your art, levels and music in and BOOM! game?
Nope. There are elements of that (map import from Tiled, for example), but it's never going to be drag&drop.
Erockbrox wrote:I know you are making one, but I mean like a big company producing a big game engine for a retro console. I'm sure people would pay for an engine like that.
On the contrary, I'm sure that people would not pay for something like that. Besides that, the big game engines of today (Unity, Unreal, ...) are very much reliant on the massive amounts of processing power available in current computers, consoles and smart phones. That's what allows them to be so flexible and easy to pick up. There's simply no way to duplicate that kind of an experience on a limited platform.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

Perhaps with the recent copyright claims against videos of modded Super Mario games, an original game engine with a level editor might be more welcomed as an alternative to modding Super Mario games.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

I would really like to see this become a great game engine that would be easy to use aswell as be customisable.

Perhaps this can roll into a community project?
NOPE.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Estlib wrote:Perhaps this can roll into a community project?
This project is not mature enough for that yet, but people are of course free to start their own projects. :)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
thefox

Post by thefox »

I compiled all of the dependencies (CMake, Ninja, cc65, Python, NDX, Musetracker) into a single ZIP package (for Windows only, but then again so is the engine). The link and instructions are at https://github.com/fo-fo/ngin#easy-start

If somebody decides to try it out, let me know how it goes.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I can't help but feel like I'm partly responsible for giving people the impression that this is a game design platform because I said something about it in one of my first posts on this forum before I had much understanding of anything to do with NES development.

I almost wonder if I should edit it out so that's not the first thing people see and get the incorrect impression.

Now that I understand things a LITTLE better I wanted to come back and really check this out, because this looks like an extremely capable level editor for your game. I'm considering developing or having developed, a level editor for my game vs. keying in level data by hand. I wanted to check for inspiration but unfortunately I haven't been able to get this to work. I am definitely a noob when it comes to compiling and making and python and so, but I downloaded the deps zip and no go.

Okay, I believe I solved it. Command prompt would not execute the script if the parent folder had a space in it. Is this my mistake with a known issue or something with this particular program? I assemble NES apps which reside in my "Documents and Settings" folder through a .bat file which runs in command prompt.

Okay, now I must figure out how to use cmake to get an executable file... I think? This is new to me. I'm a little closer though. :)
freem

Post by freem »

darryl.revok wrote:Command prompt would not execute the script if the parent folder had a space in it. Is this my mistake with a known issue or something with this particular program? I assemble NES apps which reside in my "Documents and Settings" folder through a .bat file which runs in command prompt.
from the README:
The path of the engine source code must not contain spaces. An error will be given by CMake if this is the case.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

Oh geez it was right there in the readme and the github. I feel dumb.

I guess I've made the program... I don't know what to do with the resulting files though.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

It took me until now to realize how to say "ngin". I was just mentally saying the "gin" part like in "begin", and thinking it was a strange name.
thefox

Post by thefox »

darryl.revok wrote:Oh geez it was right there in the readme and the github. I feel dumb.
Looks like that comment actually ended up in a non-obvious section when I modified the text. I should move it further up I guess...
darryl.revok wrote:I guess I've made the program... I don't know what to do with the resulting files though.
Not much more to do than to start some of the samples in the emulator. You have to use the build targets for this because the working directory needs to be correct for Lua support. E.g. for the platformer sample the command is:

Code: Select all

build-debug start-ngin-sample-platformer
You can also try changing some of the files (like the sprites, or the maps (requires Tiled)) and re-run the command to see how the build system magically re-imports everything. ;)
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

thefox wrote:Looks like that comment actually ended up in a non-obvious section when I modified the text. I should move it further up I guess...
I see now why I missed it. It's in the dependencies section and I skipped that because I downloaded the library.
If you use the above package, you can skip straight to the Configuring section.
I mean really I should have taken an extra couple minutes to read the rest of it but I executed this like a JMP instruction...
You have to use the build targets for this because the working directory needs to be correct for Lua support.
Right on. That worked. Are the files in the samples folder the ones that are edited?
thefox

Post by thefox »

darryl.revok wrote:Right on. That worked. Are the files in the samples folder the ones that are edited?
Yeah, that should be the only directory where there are non-code assets. The names of the sample folders correspond to the target names ("platformer" => "ngin-sample-platformer").
Diskover

Post by Diskover »

Amazing.

Is there any instruction to install?

Spanish:
Increible.

¿Existe alguna instrucción para poder instalar?
thefox

Post by thefox »

Diskover wrote:Amazing.

Is there any instruction to install?

Spanish:
Increible.

¿Existe alguna instrucción para poder instalar?
Not beyond what's on the GitHub page.