It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:53 pm 

I'm developing a way to remotely play my NES using a raspberry pi connected to the internet. Right now I have only one NES configured, and one controller, but hope to expand to multiple NES and controllers if this pans out.

It requires Skype to establish a low-latency video connection. I had wanted to use a browser plugin for the video but those are all high latency, so Skype it is.

If you are interested, here is the site:
http://www.cedararcade.com

And here are the instructions:
http://www.cedararcade.com/help.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:00 pm 

Just to clarify how it works.

Even though it uses Skype, the whole process is automated. That is, you click the "First player" button (after solving the Captcha) and a program I wrote running on a laptop updates the settings in Skype to receive incoming calls. The program then does a screen capture every 3 seconds and looks for when there is an incoming call, and answers it with video (in this case, the composite video from the NES, which is sent to a DVC100 video capture card to the laptop).

So after you click "First player" button, wait about 30 seconds, and then you can initiate a Skype call to "cedararcade@outlook.com" to receive the video. The game running on the NES is then playable via the browser web page, as your keystrokes are sent to a websockets server which in turn sends them to the raspberry pi, which then sends them to the NES.

Here is the block diagram:

Any feedback would be cool 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:23 pm 

I would estimate less than 1% of people have Raspberry Pis. Considering how few regulars there are here, you may be the only one with a Raspberry Pi. Just a guess.

Maybe you should consider going to a forum for Raspberry Pi users to see if anyone there will test your remote system.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:31 pm 

From what I understood of his explanation, you don't need a Raspberry Pi to play, you just need a browser and Skype. I think this sounds pretty cool, but I didn't have the chance to try it yet. I still have to install Skype and remember my account information.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:49 pm 

OK, just tried it. Turns out I had a portable installation of Skype that still worked. Anyway, everything worked fairly well, video and audio were pretty decent. The lag was about 1/3 of a second, and it didn't feel like enough to ruin Paperboy (although I'm pretty bad at this game even without any lag). I'm not sure this was the kind of lag you were expecting, but 1/3 of a second is probably too much for the majority of the games. Still pretty cool though, never thought I'd be controlling an NES remotely and receiving captured composite video through Skype!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:28 pm 

That's correct, no need for the remote player to have a raspberry pi.

All the remote player needs is a web browser and Skype.

Tokumaru, thanks for testing it out. I actually think 1/3 second lag is actually not too bad, considering you are from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and the NES is located in Oklahoma City, USA. I agree, I never imagined being able to play an NES remotely like this, but a week ago I came across a schematic that someone put together on how to interface a raspberry pi to make a wireless controller, and I thought, why not go one step further and make it connected to the internet? So here it is:

I'll be making more improvements to it as time goes on, but for now I'm wondering if anyone can beat my highscore of 12,000? :)