Demptronic NFL Football

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

raydempsey

Demptronic NFL Football

Post by raydempsey »

I am building an NFL game from scratch. It is obviously influenced by Tecmo Super Bowl. I will try to use the full power of the MMC5 to maximize the quality of the game by using 1024 PRG ROM and 1024 CHR ROM. Many of my graphics choices are expensive but I assure you they are worth it. My initial estimate for time until completion is 2-3 years. Here are two fields I have built. My immediate goals are to:
1) Build a few more NFL fields and get the game to scroll horizontally. Eventually, all 32 teams will have fields as well as playoff and Super Bowl graphics.
2) Design kickoffs and field goals to have the feel I want.
3) Design a player to run around on an open field.
The goal of the game is to be hands down the best NFL game for the NES. I want to fix the things in Tecmo Super Bowl that need fixing as well as modernize the game to align to current rules (2-pt conversions, 15-yard line extra pts etc)
I will keep everybody updated when I reach milestones.
Attachments
Tampa Bay Buccaneers.png
Green Bay Packers.png
Seahawks.png
Last edited by raydempsey on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hackfresh

Re: Demptronic NFL Football

Post by hackfresh »

Many of the things in TSB that are outdated or broken can or have been fixed but good luck to you.

Building a football game from scratch with just one person will be a major project.
nicklausw

Post by nicklausw »

Woahhhhhhh, this looks awesome. Good luck. Go falcons
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Creating more fields while developing the basic scrolling field. Many more to come.
Attachments
Patriots.png
Seahawks.png
Jaguars.png
Last edited by raydempsey on Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

This is not a game that making it MMC5 makes any sense. It just means you never want it on real hardware, honestly. But good luck anyway.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

3gengames wrote:This is not a game that making it MMC5 makes any sense. It just means you never want it on real hardware, honestly. But good luck anyway.
I think someone someday will figure out how to manufacture something for MMC5 homebrews. It's not like I can legally profit from this. I just want to make the best NFL game on the NES. MMC5 is the best way to have so many field graphics available at once.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The problem with MMC5 is that it is simply so big and complex that it will most likely never be economically worthwhile to reproduce in its entirety. (Heck, Nintendo didn't really find the MMC5 worthwhile to produce originally)

If you stick to a subset of MMC5, such as, say, just large (≥ 512KiB) CHR-ROM banking ... getting that put into new hardware is plausible.

If you ever want to see this on more than a small handful of hand-made donor-using reproductions, I promise that any mapper simpler than MMC5 that's using large (≥ 32KiB) CHR-RAM is more suitable. You can even get new COOLBOY carts (MMC3-shaped) with 128 KiB CHR-RAM and ludicrous amounts of PRG-ROM for a quite reasonable price.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Looking at the actual graphics now, those end zones look highly compressible to me. Right of the bat you can cut the amount of memory they use in half if you do the mirroring in software, while copying from PRG-ROM to CHR-RAM. On top of that, even a simple compression scheme like RLE would probably save you at least another 20%. This leads me to believe that this game could be done with a simple 512KB PRG-ROM + 8KB CHR-RAM mapper, without any funky stuff like larger CHR-RAMs (which are not well supported in emulators) or the overkill that's the MMC5 (which can't really be made in hardware).
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Here are a few more I made. Each team gets two colors + white.
Attachments
Titans.png
Cardinals.png
Browns.png
Last edited by raydempsey on Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Attachments
Panthers.png
Raiders.png
Colts.png
Last edited by raydempsey on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Attachments
New York Giants.png
Chicago Bears.png
Detroit Lions.png
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Attachments
Houston Texans.png