Demptronic NFL Football

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: Demptronic NFL Football

Post by lidnariq »

raydempsey wrote:

Code: Select all

[end of NMI]
	lda #0  ;<-------------------- A
	sta $2005
	lda #0  ;<-------------------- B
	sta $2005
	rts
[... in IRQ for raster split]
	lda #0  ;<--------------- C
	sta $2006
	lda #0  ;<--------------- D
	sta $2005
[... a small delay ...]
	lda #0  ;<--------------- E
	sta $2005
	lda #0  ;<--------------- F
	sta $2006
I have been trying unsuccessfully to create a banner. I don't know what the values in A thru F mean. I tried experimenting and I still don't get it. [...] What do A thru F mean and what should I put where?
A and B: as long as your NMI is short enough, A and B are the lower 8 bits of the X and Y coordinates of the initial (i.e. top of screen) scroll.

C,D,E,F: This is a messy thing that is an artifact of how scrolling works on the NES.
wiki:PPU scrolling#Split X & Y scroll is an exactingly detailed explanation...

The easy ones:
C specifies the nametable, or equivalently the 256s bit of X scroll and the 240s bit of Y scroll
E and D (notice reversed order) are the same as A and B, but for the scroll values desired after the split.
F needs to be a bit-shifted and combined copy of your X and Y scroll values.
What should I do to make it so I have a banner that starts 32 scanlines down where the top has no vert or horiz scroll while the last of the scanlines look shifted to the right n pixels.
To the best of my knowledge, this thing you already have:

Code: Select all

lda #31
   sta $5203
   lda #$80
   sta $5204
should be enough to make something happen 32 scanlines down.
What am I doing wrong?
It would help if you told us what you saw instead...
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

OK I got it! Thanks for all the help lidnariq!
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Been working hard on the playbook. Here is a screenshot. It shows a lot of how the offensive playbook looks. Unlike TSB, the defense does not try to guess the offensive play but instead has their own set of formations and plays to choose from.
Attachments
NFL-0.png
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Redesigned the color scheme to make it brighter and easier to read. Will likely complete the playbook within a week or two at the most. The last part about the playbook that needs completion is having the game clock and play clock run realistically.
Attachments
NFL-1.png
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Creating formations. This is an early preview.
Attachments
formation.png
Ryoga

Post by Ryoga »

The game captures look great. It's great that you continue with the project after two years since this thread was opened. I love the graphics of the game. Both the design of the uniforms of the members of the teams and the design of the helmets. I hope you upload some new DEMO to test the progress.
adam_smasher

Post by adam_smasher »

I don't have any interest in football (or football games) at all but this is one of the homebrew projects I'm most excited about - it's clearly such a passion project, and it's looking incredibly impressive.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Updates have been made. There is a new feature that allows you to see the overall ratings for each of the 32 teams and to see the 33-man roster of each team and the stats of each player (1056 players in all). The main menu has included overall stats for each team for comparison. The playbook has been enhanced on the border with the positions and player numbers for each set of plays.

I am approaching the pre-snap portion of the programming. I am glad to be done programming menus for now.
Attachments
NFL-4.png
NFL-4.png (9.97 KiB) Viewed 19126 times
NFL-3.png
NFL-3.png (9.87 KiB) Viewed 19126 times
NFL-2.png
NFL-2.png (9.93 KiB) Viewed 19126 times
NFL-1.png
NFL-1.png (9.64 KiB) Viewed 19126 times
NFL-0.png
NFL-0.png (9.69 KiB) Viewed 19126 times
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Playbook screenshots. Offense picks, then defense.
Attachments
NFL-6.png
NFL-6.png (7.17 KiB) Viewed 19126 times
NFL-5.png
NFL-5.png (8.29 KiB) Viewed 19126 times
KHAN Games

Post by KHAN Games »

Need some more updates! So anxious to see this game come to fruition! Looks so incredible.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Had to add a new color mode to the logos on the field. When players are on the full-color logos, things get hard to see. So instead, full-color logos are for the Stadium Tour mode and for cut scenes between quarters. Now as you play on the field, you will still see the logos but they will be shades that are close to the field color.

See the difference in the photos.
Attachments
NFL-3.png
NFL-2.png
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

The updated uniforms for each team. Each team has 6 uniforms to choose from. Shown are dark and light skin players for each uniform. The rosters have already been updated for the 2018-19 season using Madden launch stats.
Attachments
uniforms.png
SkinnyV

Post by SkinnyV »

I got to say, I usually have zero interest in sport, american football or sport game in general, but I have been following that project from time to time for years and I am surprisingly excited about it. The quality of the graphics and intricate planning of every little details are very impressive and every time I stumble onto that thread, I tell my self "Man, I hope this guy end up really finishing this thing and won't quit, this look like a professional game".

I guess what I'm trying to say is, kudos man, keep up the good work. It's weird to say this about a football game but I can't wait to get to play this.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

^ same. I care for two sports: freeform frisbee and roller derby. But i'm always happy whenever there's an update on this and feel enthusiastic about it. Awesome work!
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

SkinnyV wrote:I got to say, I usually have zero interest in sport, american football or sport game in general, but I have been following that project from time to time for years and I am surprisingly excited about it. The quality of the graphics and intricate planning of every little details are very impressive and every time I stumble onto that thread, I tell my self "Man, I hope this guy end up really finishing this thing and won't quit, this look like a professional game".

I guess what I'm trying to say is, kudos man, keep up the good work. It's weird to say this about a football game but I can't wait to get to play this.
Thank you so much! Every time I am about to get into the part where actual football is programmed, I have to stop and work on some other part of the game (player stats, field, menu, playbook...) . Now I feel like I am tying up those loose ends and will be getting to the part where the players all interact.

I'll be releasing a demo on Thursday Sept 06 to celebrate the start of the regular season.