Demptronic NFL Football

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

raydempsey

Re: Demptronic NFL Football

Post by raydempsey »

I tried changing the 5th byte of the header from $08 to $04 and I'm still getting grey screen. What else needs to be done? Could you upload your change that works again if it's something else?
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Another reason not to use MMC5. Nobody knows wtf is wrong with the mapper when the mapper rejects the configuration, and we're seeing another mapper issue here, more than likely.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

tokumaru said he got it running again with just a change of the header though...
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

asm file attached, I only changed the header.
Attachments
NFL-ASM6.asm
(27.06 KiB) Downloaded 344 times
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I have to say I think it's kind of cool that somebody's finally tackling MMC5. If this project gets finished then perhaps there will be knowledge gained from it.

For a first project though, there's going to be a few more headaches than not using MMC5. It's dangerous to go alone.

Think you'll try to use all of the MMC5 features? Vertical split scroll? Perhaps use the multiplication processor for calculating ball trajectories?
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

OK great it works! Thanks a bunch for all your help it would have taken me too long on my own to figure this out. There was something happening that I wasn't aware of at first: ASM6 compiles it into .bin and I thought it was compiling it into .nes like NESASM3 does.

What I want to do before doing more programming is to make use of the features of ASM6 and jazz up my code. Does anybody have an example .asm file that I can look at that has a good mix of things in it so I know the types of things I can implement in my program? I have seen the README for ASM6 and it would be easier to compare that to some code.

Thanks again!
Attachments
README.TXT
(8.79 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I use ASM6 and my programs have always assembled into an .NES file.

I simply have a batch file that reads this:

Code: Select all

asm6 CODE.asm OutputROM.nes
It should just be assembled into binary data so the extension, as far as I know, only has meaning when a program tries to read it. Just put .nes instead of .bin when you output.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

raydempsey wrote:ASM6 compiles it into .bin and I thought it was compiling it into .nes like NESASM3 does.
These are just file names. ASM6 defaults to .bin because it isn't NES-only, but if you can define your own output file name with the .nes extension.
What I want to do before doing more programming is to make use of the features of ASM6 and jazz up my code.
Looking at your source file, there are some things you can do to improve maintainability, but they aren't necessarily ASM6 exclusives. The first thing you should do is declare your variables dynamically, rather than manually assigning the address of each one of them. This is how you should define variables in ASM6:

.enum $0000

screen .dsb 1
	scroll .dsb 1
	lastscroll .dsb 1
	block .dsb 1
	blocktemp .dsb 1
	gamestate .dsb 1
	pressguard .dsb 1
	drawfieldflag .dsb 1

.ende
Instead of manually writing the address of each variable, you start a block somewhere in RAM and just specify how long each variable is. This way you can easily shuffle variables around or change their size, without having to edit tens of addresses by hand, which is not only tedious but also error-prone.

Another thing that could potentially increase readability and maintainability is to break up the code into separate files and arrange everything using includes in a "master" .asm file, rather than using a monolithic .asm file with everything.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

OK I changed my variables definitions to the .dsb 1 format and I can see how helpful it is. There is a lot of syntax that I am unfamiliar with or not aware of its existence so it's good to learn these things. Any good links for a comprehensive explanation of all that asm6 has to offer?

I'm just wondering what you would suggest for a compiling batch file. I am using the following:

@echo off
cmd /k asm6 NFL.asm
There are problems with this batch file:
1) It doesn't open up the game right after the .bin file is produced and so I have to do two actions: run the batch then open the file it produces.
2) When there is an error in my code, it deletes the old .bin file.

This is what I would like my batch file to do every time I use it to compile:
1) It produces a .nes file instead of .bin. Notice I didn't select the file extension .bin; ASM6 produces that on its own. Still runs, but... ya know.
2) It deletes all open occurrences of the previous emulator and command prompt when I run the batch file so that at most one of each will be on the screen at a time.
3) When there are no errors compiling, it exits the command prompt. When there is an error compiling, the command prompt stays open and doesn't delete the previous .bin file (or .nes if the file extension is fixed)

Any ideas or suggestions?
thefox

Post by thefox »

raydempsey wrote:Any good links for a comprehensive explanation of all that asm6 has to offer?
ASM6 comes with a README file. You really should read it, it's not long.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

darryl.revok wrote:I have to say I think it's kind of cool that somebody's finally tackling MMC5.
:wink:
tepples

Post by tepples »

This one should do everything except for "deletes all open occurrences of the previous emulator". In the case of a successful build, the command prompt window will close when the emulator finishes. In the case of an unsuccessful build, the command prompt window will close when the pause command detects that the user has pressed a key.

@echo off
asm6 NFL.asm
if errorlevel 1 goto Failed

copy /Y NFL.bin NFL.nes
C:\path\to\fceux.exe NFL.nes
goto :End

:Failed
pause
:End
Say you're developing your NFL game, and you're taking a break by playing some Thwaite. then you pause the game with the intent of coming back to it later. Do you want the Thwaite session to be closed just because your NFL build succeeded?
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

Thanks tepples that is pretty close to what I want my ideal batch file to do.
raydempsey

Post by raydempsey »

DEMPTRONIC NFL STADIUM TOUR 2016 FEATURES
Field view and menu view.
All 32 NFL fields.
Extra field logos (NFL Play 60, Salute to Service, etc).
Super Bowl 50 field.
Wind from 0 - 39 mph in 16 wind directions.
Fair, rain, and snow weather conditions.
Rain and snow intensity 0 – 9; each reacts to wind speed + wind direction.
Goal post flags react to wind speed + wind direction.
Dome teams have no weather.
Hold B + direction for faster field scrolling or wind speed selection +/- 10.

Here is my first release of the demo for my game. Let me know what you think! Next steps will involve players on the field. More to come soon!
Attachments
DemptronicNFLStadiumTour2016.nes
(320.02 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
hackfresh

Post by hackfresh »

Will you have enough sprites left for the players with the amount of sprites the heavy rain and snow take up?