Crypto (GGJ 2016 game)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

shultays

Crypto (GGJ 2016 game)

Post by shultays »

Hi everyone.

Check out our ggj game that we did in 48 hours.

A youtube video from earlier hours
https://youtu.be/j2TEsonhl7o

You can play it here : http://www.enginmercan.com/crypto/

Or download : http://enginmercan.com/crypto/roms/crypto/crypto.nes

It is a coop only game, you will need a second player to play it efficiently.

Your objective is to bring all 4 magical items to their right places at center. They are randomly placed in dungeon and you should search for them and carry them back.

Tricky part is there are monsters and you can't attack while carrying. Also you are slow as snail while carrying and so it is expected that one player should carry and other should defend him.

It is possible to carry same item by both players. In this case you are faster but both can't attack. Also you have to sync your keys to move at that direction.

A to attack
Hold B to carry. when item moves the correct place (you can see their silhouettes at start screen at the corners of whirlpool.) your player will drop it.

When all 4 items are placed you move to next screen. It makes enemies stronger and faster.

It ends when one of you die.

Thanks everyone that helped us on #nesdev!

(For some reasons my everdrive couldn't enable 4 screen mirroring, however it worked on other people. no idea why. it works on emulators though. sorry, couldn't solve this problem in time if it happens to you)
Attachments
crypto.nes
(48.02 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
darryl.revok

Re: Crypto (GGJ 2016 game)

Post by darryl.revok »

Congratulations!

Very impressive for the timeframe. And it still works properly in my Everdrive.
shultays

Post by shultays »

darryl.revok wrote:Congratulations!

Very impressive for the timeframe. And it still works properly in my Everdrive.
I have no idea what is wrong with mine. I sent a mail to everdrive, hopefully will get an answer too.
shultays

Post by shultays »

Is the owner of Everdrive is a regular on forums or chat? Not sure if my contact forms are sent, there is no feedback in my mail.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Are you sure your EverDrive is original? There are a number of cheaper chinese clones that are known to not work properly. Krikzz's forum is normally the best place for EverDrive support, but there's nothing he can do if you bought a bootleg.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Is there a safe way to determine whether an EverDrive N8 is genuine? The Cloned EverDrive Help topic links to THIS LIST which is 404. (I assume Our Dealers was meant.) Suggestions lower in the topic don't work on front-loaders.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Just buy from the source (or from dealers linked in the official website) and you'll be fine. If you find an EverDrive cheaper than the one from the official store in an auction website or some chinese e-commerce website, there's just no way it's the real deal.
shultays

Post by shultays »

I bought it from the official store. Didn't know they had a forum, will post there. Thanks
shultays

Post by shultays »

Can you confirm Crypto works or not on your real hardware? Be it PowerPak or EverDrive? or some other custom cartidge.
shultays

Post by shultays »

Looks like the problem is worse than I thought. There are many roms that are just not working. I tried Rad Racer II which also uses 4 screen and it has a similar problem too. Some other games work correctly, some just gives me gray screen.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

4-screen not working in general is a well-known design flaw of many famiclones—assuming you're using one.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

lidnariq wrote:4-screen not working in general is a well-known design flaw of many famiclones—assuming you're using one.
He is using a Dendy, but interestingly, Gauntlet II showed four-screen mirroring on his unit.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Gauntlet 2 didn't use 4-screen. Only the original did.
shultays

Post by shultays »

Yes, I noticed that afterwards. I tried gauntlet 1 and it didn't run at all. I also tried rad racer and half of backround tiles were messy, probably it was the same issue.

I should have check more games, but that ggj kept me bussy and I only assumed it was a mirroring issue. looks like cartidge is buggy.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

lidnariq wrote:4-screen not working in general is a well-known design flaw of many famiclones—assuming you're using one.
True... Does anyone know if the Dendy suffers from this? Probably not, right? Considering it's one of the older clones that don't use NOACs...