Crypto (GGJ 2016 game)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

shultays

Re: Crypto (GGJ 2016 game)

Post by shultays »

lidnariq wrote:4-screen not working in general is a well-known design flaw of many famiclones—assuming you're using one.
Oh, I didn't know this would be aproblem. Yes I am using a famiclone (and a very cheap one.)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Well, well-known amongst us here. Probably not really all that widely known.

If your famiclone has two 40-pin ICs inside instead of an epoxy blob, you could fix it yourself.

I wrote a list of some other games that should break on a famiclone that's defective in this manner. You could try a few of them and see if they also break.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

On the NES Spectrum Marathon, an attempt to stream this was made on an AVS via PowerPak, and it was unsuccessful.
Is this an issue with the 4-way mirroring? Is anyone already aware of what's causing the issue?

If not, is there anyone that has either an everdrive and AVS–or PowerPak and NES– able to test?
WhiteHat94

Post by WhiteHat94 »

I just tried it on my front loader + Powerpak and it does not work. Works fine on Everdrive.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Thanks. Yeah, Everdrive + Famicom works as well. I guess the problem is the PowerPak. Curious now as to whether Everdrive + AVS will work.
dink

Post by dink »

I figured out what was going wrong here:
The game uses mmc3 (mapper#4), but it never writes any mapper registers. Some multicarts (powerpak) don't set up the default mapper regs for mmc3, so only the last bank gets mapped by default.
Quick fix for this game, edit the iNES header and change the mapper# to 0

best regards,
- dink