It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:17 pm 

AlexE wrote:
What I meant to say is that I can tell the difference between a 128 kbps file and a 320 kbps, not the sample rate. :oops:

With what format and encoder? There's a lot more to audio quality than just bit rate. (...But this probably isn't relevant to making a NES game, so if you feel like replying, you might want to create a new thread.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:12 pm 

thenewguy wrote:
I really like NES Metal Gear. I grew up playing that game, and it was a lot of fun.

Anyway, good luck with the game. It'd be cool to see something like this on the NES!

I enjoyed it, too, but it is certainly not without its flaws. If you liked the first NES Metal Gear, you'd likely love Snake's Revenge.

And thank you! I'm currently debating the sheer foundation of what the game will be built on, whether it will be a NES game, a NES-styled game, a Genesis game, a Genesis-styled game, or perhaps a Coleco Chameleon game (assuming the console does well). Other things like appropriating funds (Kickstarter, IndieGoGo, Patreon, etc.), finding programmers after having gathered enough money to pay them, advertising, and selling the game to vendors like Piko Interactive, Stone Age Gamer, and so on are all problems I should start thinking about but not necessarily worry about.

Last edited by AlexE on Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:26 pm 

Joe wrote:
AlexE wrote:
What I meant to say is that I can tell the difference between a 128 kbps file and a 320 kbps, not the sample rate. :oops:

With what format and encoder? There's a lot more to audio quality than just bit rate. (...But this probably isn't relevant to making a NES game, so if you feel like replying, you might want to create a new thread.)

It's related to the Squeedo, which can play hi-fi PCM and it's something I'd like to implement on the game eventually, so it's technically related. :beer:

Format: WAV
Encoder: Whatever Reason 5 uses. I don't know off the top of my head.

I'll leave that little sub-topic here assuming that I don't know what I think I know.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:40 am 

Typically, WAV stores uncompressed PCM. If you're able to select a bitrate like 128kbps, it's probably some other codec contained in a WAV file, which means it doesn't apply to the Squeedo.