It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Clean-Up Crew
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:17 pm 

Well whaddaya know.
Attachment:
cleanup_vwalk5.gif
cleanup_vwalk5.gif [ 1.87 KiB | Viewed 1250 times ]

It took a lot of tweaking, but the criss-cross back looks fine. You guys were right, it's not impossible, just difficult. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:34 am 

If you're doing NROM this might be asking a bit much, but what if the walking up/down animations got just a few more tiles each to give him a symmetrical frame? Right now the hat jumps a little when it goes from one side of his head to the other. I think one more tile could be mirrored and give the hat a center location as it passes to and fro, and it would make the animation more smooth.

Then again if the animation is any more smooth then he won't quite have the comical waddle, so not sure. I'm not on my home computer so I can't tweak it myself right now.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:28 pm 

There's no symmetrical view because, IMO, the head doesn't look as good when everything is symmetrical and perfectly straight-on to the camera. The slightly angled head (especially the hat with its turned-up brim) looked nicer, and since the angle isn't very significant (compared to a totally diagonal head), it looked ok for the head to flip back and forth like that, especially considering how the rest of his body was moving.

It just boils down to a stylistic choice; animations don't need to be ultra smooth as long as they can be read properly. He could easily have a straight-on head angle and it could be made to look good, but ehhhhh I did that originally and didn't like it as much. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:32 pm 

I really like the head wobbling. Have you thought about bringing into the horizontal walk animation? This is a really messy edit I put together to show it.

Attachments:
drwWalk.gif
drwWalk.gif [ 2.17 KiB | Viewed 1175 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:38 pm 

I hadn't thought about it before, but it doesn't look bad. :P It reminds me of Mario's sprite in SML2. Once I have enough of the game engine together, I'll try that out and see if I prefer it to the current head bobbing on the sideview.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:46 pm 

When I last touched this project, I was shedding my old food service job which had degenerated pretty badly in my last year there, starting with the absolute worst winter holiday season I had ever lived through, both at work and at home.

The entirety of June, I worked two jobs with zero days off (over 40 hours a week!) because I put my two-weeks notice in on a Sunday (so three weekends of work instead of two). Meanwhile, I started with a programming internship, and programming at this company felt 1000x more satisfying than anything I'd ever done at my old job, since it was actual programming, which was my life's hobby.

July 4th, my old job expired and I had my first day off in a month. During my internship, I had to learn a whole bunch of stuff very quickly (such as C#, asp .net, angularjs, plus some proprietary stuff), and had to make some lifestyle changes to accomodate waking up at 6 AM every morning (before, I'd be going to sleep around then!), and coming to terms with making a 1.5 hour commute there and back each day. I quit caffeine and had to start eating better since I went from being on my feet all day to sitting all day.

The internship turned into a fulltime position, and the first order of business is to take a handful of 5-hour roadtrips over the course of the next few months in order to take classes to get a programming certification for a major manufacturer of home/business automation equipment. Meanwhile, I'm coming off of juggling two programming projects with two teams to just the one project with the one team (since the interns left), said project probably being why they kept me around.

I basically disappeared around here and haven't touched Clean-Up Crew since this last post. However, at work, I learned about using Kanbans for keeping track of tasks and progress, which is a great help for seeing how far you've come and knowing exactly what else needs to be done before you can say you're finished and take a break before starting on the next wave of functionality. This is a huge help to any programming project (even just keeping a TODO list that you check off, while adding future TODOs to a second list you start afterwards, etc)

I don't know how to pick this project back up, and I don't know how to recover from my initial work burnout and get energy again, but once I do, I feel much better equipped for how to manage being a solo programming team on a NES homebrew.