It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:16 am
Posts: 170
I remember small, under the building where he lived was a bar that had the arcade machine Vigilante Irem company. I left enough money in this game. Years later, when I finally had a NES I started buying magazines in video games and I could see the analysis that made the Vigilante video game Sega Master System.
I was very angry that did not exist a version of the NES Vigilante, so good ... why not do it yourself?

With what little I've learned in cc65, I could recreate some level 1 of this game, based on the version of SMS.

What do you think?

Image Image Image Image

Rom demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/319 ... emo%29.nes


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:46 am 
Online

Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 9:40 am
Posts: 363
It look gorgeous. Awesome graphics.

_________________
http://www.mojontwins.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 1519
Location: Fukuoka, Japan
Looks great. I love that game. Can't wait to see the result!

edit:

Tested it on Nintendulator and it doesn't work. You should check your code since it may be an indication that it will not work on the real thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:16 am
Posts: 170
Banshaku wrote:
Looks great. I love that game. Can't wait to see the result!

edit:

Tested it on Nintendulator and it doesn't work. You should check your code since it may be an indication that it will not work on the real thing.


In a real NES if it works

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:22 pm
Posts: 501
It freezes also on my EverDrive in my NES Toploader.

Is there perhaps a reason that the ROM is currently PAL exclusive?

The first background displays, but I also get two garbage tiles in the status bar. No buttons do anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Posts: 10164
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
Diskover wrote:
In a real NES if it works

Are you using a PowerPak or an EverDrive? Those cartridges tend to hide initialization issues that games might have, because they initialize the system before transferring control to the game.

As for the game itself, I never really played on the SMS, but your graphics look pretty good. Will give the ROM a try when I can.


Last edited by tokumaru on Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 6513
Location: Seattle
In Nintendulator DX, there's no missing initialization, but it does spin forever on a sprite 0 hit that doesn't happen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 2982
Location: Tampere, Finland
It's doing OAM DMA outside vblank, with rendering enabled. (Based on NDX, starts at scanline 260, ends at scanline 3.) Write that enables rendering ($2001 <= $1E) at $C552, earlier on the same scanline 260.

EDIT: I'm guessing that on real hardware the sprite 0 ends up surviving that, but on Nintendulator the corruption behaves somewhat differently, overwriting sprite 0.

_________________
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:16 am
Posts: 170
darryl.revok wrote:
It freezes also on my EverDrive in my NES Toploader.

Is there perhaps a reason that the ROM is currently PAL exclusive?

The first background displays, but I also get two garbage tiles in the status bar. No buttons do anything.


tokumaru wrote:
Diskover wrote:
In a real NES if it works

Are you using a PowerPak or an EverDrive? Those cartridges tend to hide initialization issues that games might have, because they initialize the system before transferring control to the game.

As for the game itself, I never really played on the SMS, but your graphics look pretty good. Will give the ROM a try when I can.


thefox wrote:
It's doing OAM DMA outside vblank, with rendering enabled. (Based on NDX, starts at scanline 260, ends at scanline 3.) Write that enables rendering ($2001 <= $1E) at $C552, earlier on the same scanline 260.

EDIT: I'm guessing that on real hardware the sprite 0 ends up surviving that, but on Nintendulator the corruption behaves somewhat differently, overwriting sprite 0.


How weird. I am using a Chinese version to try and not give me any errors :?

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 6513
Location: Seattle
It looks like the Jack DIY NES flashcart is an EverDrive N8 clone... so maybe there's a difference if the console instead?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:36 am
Posts: 2982
Location: Tampere, Finland
It's a bug in your program. The fact that it happens to work on hardware doesn't mean that your program is well-behaved.

_________________
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: kkfos.aspekt.fi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:16 am
Posts: 170
thefox wrote:
It's a bug in your program. The fact that it happens to work on hardware doesn't mean that your program is well-behaved.


Okay. I intend to pass it to a UNROM (for I stay out of space) and change various things, to see if it clears.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 pm
Posts: 10164
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
From what I understand of your comments, the sprite DMA is spilling outside of vblank on NTSC, but not on PAL, which has a longer vblank, so maybe the game's working only on PAL machines (or emulators in PAL mode).

But that still conflicts with the fact that OAM DMA should happen during the first 20 scanlines of vblank on PAL consoles, so maybe even on PAL this isn't exactly stable.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:16 am
Posts: 170
tokumaru wrote:
From what I understand of your comments, the sprite DMA is spilling outside of vblank on NTSC, but not on PAL, which has a longer vblank, so maybe the game's working only on PAL machines (or emulators in PAL mode).

But that still conflicts with the fact that OAM DMA should happen during the first 20 scanlines of vblank on PAL consoles, so maybe even on PAL this isn't exactly stable.


I have no idea, it can be.

Testing with VirtuaNES or FCEU works without problem, in both NTSC and PAL. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Vigilante [port SMS]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 7:17 pm
Posts: 1867
Location: DIGDUG
Do not trust VirtuaNES nor FCEU for accuracy. (I prefer Nintendulator for accuracy).

Maybe put sprite DMA earlier in your list of to-do's during v-blank.

_________________
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group