It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:46 pm 

glutock wrote:
Espozo wrote:
glutock wrote:
I hope that the RPG part will balance everything in the end.

I think that part sounds more boring. :lol:

What do you mean ?

Espozo hates RPGs. :)

In all fairness, I don't think you should concern yourself too much with critiques from people who have no interest in the genre or the style of game. Some people won't play RPGs and some people will only play RPGs. That much can't be changed.

My perspective is that I do like RPGs, and I worry that this system could be game breaking. I don't think a sub-par battle system itself will ruin an RPG, and for this I'll use Earthbound as an example. Earthbound is possibly my favorite RPG and I feel its graphics and battle system are sub-par, especially in consideration of the game's late release date. But the game still works. The tattoo battle system, I think might be something I could not get past. I've thought about it too and I fail to see changes on the formula that would actually make it work for me.

Regardless, I'm impressed with the work you've done thus far. I like that you are aiming to take a unique conceptual approach to the genre. I worry though, that in the choice of the battle sequence, you may have put concept ahead of gameplay in a manner that would detract from the enjoyment of the game as a whole. I would suggest, at least trying, to consider the battle sequence from an opposite perspective. Start with the idea in your head of an existing RPG battle system that you enjoy, then think of ways to make it more fun. Then, after you've come up with a fun gameplay concept, consider how to adapt it to your story concept. That's the approach I would be likely to take.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:52 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Sure, I get that. It still sounds boring to simulate tatooing other people on virtual screen, when you could be saving the world instead.

I've saved the world dozens of times. The tattooing aspect of this game appeals to me, not because I'm particularly interested in tattoos but because I'm interested in games that are unique and stretch what's expected in a game.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:10 am 

Bregalad wrote:
Quote:
Unless I misunderstood your message, I thought people here were open-minded ! No one is asking you to tattoo yourself in real life, it's just like refusing to kill someone playing GTA just because you wouldn't do it in reality ! It all seems a bit farfetched to me, it's just a game ! :)

Sure, I get that. It still sounds boring to simulate tatooing other people on virtual screen, when you could be saving the world instead.

Ahahah I get that too :)

darryl.revok wrote:
Espozo hates RPGs. :)

In all fairness, I don't think you should concern yourself too much with critiques from people who have no interest in the genre or the style of game. Some people won't play RPGs and some people will only play RPGs. That much can't be changed.

My perspective is that I do like RPGs, and I worry that this system could be game breaking. I don't think a sub-par battle system itself will ruin an RPG, and for this I'll use Earthbound as an example. Earthbound is possibly my favorite RPG and I feel its graphics and battle system are sub-par, especially in consideration of the game's late release date. But the game still works. The tattoo battle system, I think might be something I could not get past. I've thought about it too and I fail to see changes on the formula that would actually make it work for me.

Regardless, I'm impressed with the work you've done thus far. I like that you are aiming to take a unique conceptual approach to the genre. I worry though, that in the choice of the battle sequence, you may have put concept ahead of gameplay in a manner that would detract from the enjoyment of the game as a whole. I would suggest, at least trying, to consider the battle sequence from an opposite perspective. Start with the idea in your head of an existing RPG battle system that you enjoy, then think of ways to make it more fun. Then, after you've come up with a fun gameplay concept, consider how to adapt it to your story concept. That's the approach I would be likely to take.

I guess I may have misused some terms here.
I used RPG to make a comparison, but it's just (for now) a top-down adventure game, when you have to (sometimes) tattoo people.
You won't encounter "enemies" every now and then like a real RPG and have to tattoo them all along the game.
Of course IT IS an important part of the game, but I don't want people to get tired of inking and inking skin for hours.

As nothing is too defined for now, I would say that story and quests in the adventure part will hopefully balance the game, but I'm still in a reflexion process actually.
So critiques from people are ok and can help me find the best way to glue everything together.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:00 am 

glutock wrote:
You won't encounter "enemies" every now and then like a real RPG and have to tattoo them all along the game.
Of course IT IS an important part of the game, but I don't want people to get tired of inking and inking skin for hours.
Okay, so it's more of an occasional minigame than a replacement for all combat? That would be a lot less likely to push me away as a gamer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:25 am 

I like the concept. Actually a while ago I spent some time thinking about what it would be like to have a tattoo artist game for Wii U or DS where you could use the stylus to draw on the screen.

As far as gameplay goes, I don't really like the look of the tattoo drawing stuff in that video, but I didn't presume it was much more than temporary. There are lots of ways you could make playing a tattoo interesting.

One idea might be to have the path of the needle automated, and the player needs to press buttons and directions at well timed positions along the path. Maybe like guitaroo man where you have to follow a direction and press buttons in time with the music. Just thinking that having the player bound to the path of the tattoo might bypass the (intractable?) problem of following curved lines with a dpad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:50 am 

rainwarrior wrote:
One idea might be to have the path of the needle automated, and the player needs to press buttons and directions at well timed positions along the path. Maybe like guitaroo man where you have to follow a direction and press buttons in time with the music. Just thinking that having the player bound to the path of the tattoo might bypass the (intractable?) problem of following curved lines with a dpad.

Interesting idea !

What I like in my actual gameplay is that you can place your gun / cursor wherever you want on the tattoo.
So you also need to keep an eye at where you are on the "skin".

I should post a test ROM to get feedback on the actual gameplay rather than just guess from a video.
I focused more on the power/pain aspect than the precision.
Since attribute is 16x16 px block, I "can't" do pixel precision.
What I've done though, is that in a 16x16 block, if you try to tattoo a blank 8x8 block, the 16x16 block becomes a stain.
So even if the block tolerance is large, you still have to look where you put the gun.

Hummmm ... I really need to post a test ROM.

edit : typo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:02 am 

I'm a tattoo artist and a Nes lover, if you need any help in something, just PM :)