Shutshimi vNES

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Diskover

Shutshimi vNES

Post by Diskover »

The other day, frustrated with the progress I've got zero to do with the proyect Vigilante, I entered devianart for inspiration in something, or at least power with pixel art that were there. I came across one that particularly caught my attention because I liked its quality. Specifically, the image created by Wanyo:
Then I learned that it was a recreation of the modern game Shutshimi, appeared on PS Vita, Xbox One, PS4 and Steam platform. And I was watching videos of what it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXiqkEyC4Uk

Eager to recreate and pixel art Wanyo hand, I set to work and hand-behaved tiles clouds. Then scroll movement gave them and implement sprite zero to make the parallax effect. Days later I encourage recreate the sprites. For now only of Shutshimi and one of the enemies shaped squid. I also recreated the shot collision with the enemy.

And this is the result of what has been achieved so far:
Image Image

Let's see if I encourage you to go ahead and formed a small demo.

PS: With the SELECT button, you can change the shot.

For now I leave you with this alpha:
Attachments
Shutshimi NES alpha 1.0.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 749 times
darryl.revok

Re: Shutshimi vNES

Post by darryl.revok »

This looks really nice!

I'd suggest some more parallax strips of clouds to make the effect work better. Depending on your mapper choice though, this may be a near impossibility.

Also, I noticed that the bullets disappear before moving offscreen. I thought this would make the bullets miss enemies as they spawned, but then I noticed that the enemies spawn fully offscreen. This is probably because it's early but I'd want to change both things. Both for aesthetics and because enemies that spawn entirely onscreen can be very annoying. I'll admit this is a bigger problem for a run 'n' gun than a SHMUP, because a player in a horizontal SHMUP is not likely to occupy the far right side of the screen, but I do know that the instantly spawning heavy gunners in Contra annoyed Mike Matei considerably: https://youtu.be/OnB4Hm8b11w?t=3m58s.
Diskover

Post by Diskover »

Wooosh wrote:
darryl.revok wrote: Also, I noticed that the bullets disappear before moving offscreen. I thought this would make the bullets miss enemies as they spawned, but then I noticed that the enemies spawn fully offscreen.
Yeah, this confused the hell out of me at first, I'd definitely recommend changing that Diskover. Apart from that I love the graphics and think it's a really fun game. Good job. How long did it take you to make?
For about two days. Right now I'm with another major project, but when I have time I want to finish this little demo of Shutshimi
SmokeMonster

Post by SmokeMonster »

I have Shutshimi for both the Vita and 360. Please keep up the great work on this! :D
Diskover

Post by Diskover »

Right now I'm focused on the crowdfunding of The Banketh - The Video Game.

Possibly later on continue with the project. The original creators of Shutshimi saw this demo in summer and liked it a lot.
BrucePacheco

Post by BrucePacheco »

Diskover wrote:Right now I'm focused on the crowdfunding of The Banketh - The Video Game.

Possibly later on continue with the project. The original creators of Shutshimi saw this demo in summer and liked it a lot.
I know that quite a few years have passed since you last posted in this thread, but I still love this game and graphics. So, I would like to ask if you continued with the project or not. If yes, can you please post the update?
Last edited by lidnariq on Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spam was edited in
Diskover

Post by Diskover »

BrucePacheco wrote:I know that quite a few years have passed since you last posted in this thread, but I still love this game and graphics. So, I would like to ask if you continued with the project or not. If yes, can you please post the update?
Hello BrucePacheco.

The project never continued. He stayed there.

Right now I'm trying to restructure my video game The Banketh and I'm also finishing a technical demo based on the video game Shadow of the Beast, also for NES.

I have no intention at this time to continue this other project. In any case, I would announce it here.
JohnHartley

Post by JohnHartley »

Diskover wrote:
BrucePacheco wrote:I know that quite a few years have passed since you last posted in this thread, but I still love this game and graphics. So, I would like to ask if you continued with the project or not. If yes, can you please post the update similar to phentermine?
Hello BrucePacheco.

The project never continued. He stayed there.

Right now I'm trying to restructure my video game The Banketh and I'm also finishing a technical demo based on the video game Shadow of the Beast, also for NES.

I have no intention at this time to continue this other project. In any case, I would announce it here.
Hey Diskover, thanks for the update. I'm eagerly waiting for the port of the game The Sword of Ianna.