It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:50 pm 

I would like to challenge anyone with some time to whip up a simple mini-game this weekend, lets see what we can all create in a couple of days. Can i win anything? No. Is this a competition? No. what is the point? To have fun. Anyone up for the challenge?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:58 pm 

The example game I just finished took 2 weeks, at about 2 hours a day...roughly 20 hours of work, total.

Banana Nana was also done in 3 days, but they had 2 people working on it.

I don't think I have the time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:01 pm 

I couldn't possibly come up with anything minimally interesting in a weekend, considering I'd probably only have about 4 hours total for NesDev'ing... :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:50 pm 

I'm working on something much larger that I'm trying to not have take the rest of my summer.

Bad weekend for me. :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 6:09 am 

Going to attempt a 1k game or two for this. Of course it/they are usually rehashes of other smaller games that already exist on other platforms, but hey. Those are perfectly suited for this kind of quick challenge : D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:40 am 

I'm feeling awfully tempted to try to come up with something... :?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:02 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
I couldn't possibly come up with anything minimally interesting in a weekend, considering I'd probably only have about 4 hours total for NesDev'ing... :(

What about 5 hours? :P
That's how long it took me to program this entire Bubble Bubble clone, in one sitting!
50 puzzle-oriented levels, 8 enemies (4 palette/logic variations), ending on a final boss, simple sound effects, but no music. This game was intended to be put on cartridges, last October.

This challenge is tempting, but I'm writing a (rather thorough) tutorial, at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:08 pm 

I would participate if I hadn't been given two other projects to work on: fixing a bug that I can't reliably reproduce and that doesn't occur in emulators in the Zapper reading code of an NES game written in mostly uncommented C that runs the entire game logic out of a single 940-line function and whose maintainers haven't given me any real-time contact details, and a 4 Mbit beat-em-up platformer that has just entered the final month before going gold.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:34 pm 

Alp wrote:
What about 5 hours? :P
That's how long it took me to program this entire Bubble Bubble clone, in one sitting!

Daaaaaaamn! Now that's pretty awesome.

Here's what I came up with for the 1k Series today. It's a Tron cycle style game. I made one as a bonus game on another cart I released, but really wanted to try a 1k version sometime, as I felt like I could do it. I pulled it off, but it's 2-player only. I attempted AI with it, but there just wasn't enough room to have AI or 2-player. And with 2-player, a lot of code got looped with an offset, so it just made more sense. Ask some people in #nesdev how bad the simple AI I had was hahaha It was horrible.

But anywho, here it is. I didn't go through and optimize it as much as I usually do, but will sometime for sure.

http://slydogstudios.org/s/The%20One%20with%20the%20Walls.zip

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:45 am 

i sadly didnt find much time over the weekend (wife was out of town and I have two kids). In the hour and a half that I spent working on my game, i got fairly far and how to finish it up tonight.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:08 pm 

Aw, missed it. :(
If this kind of thing was announced with some preparation time, I'm sure there would be some people giving it a shot. Weekend games are a fun exercise.