Spook-o'-tron - Virtual Boy Controller Fun

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

SoleGooseProductions

Spook-o'-tron - Virtual Boy Controller Fun

Post by SoleGooseProductions »

It's been a while since I've posted I guess. Anyways, after four years of learning to program I have finally (mostly) finished my first real project, Spook-o'-tron! It is up on Kickstarter at the moment https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11 ... w-game-for. That link has a better video than I can really post here, and there is also a ten level demo. It is a Robotron-like game and features a full level editor. I'm using KS as a way to get community involvement with the building of levels, as that ended up being one of the most enjoyable aspects of the project. I had planned on submitting part of the game to the Compo, but the deadline kind of came and went.

Besides really coming to understand how sprites work, the one big thing that I wanted to do with the game was find a way to use the Virtual Boy controller to create a unique gameplay experience. I'd guess that a lot of people knew that it could be done, but I don't think that anyone has created a game to use it in this way. Spook-o'-tron also features SNES controller support.

NESDEV has been an invaluable resource when learning things, and as I have come to understand more about programming (zero prior experience) I have spent more and more time here. At first I was just kind of pushing numbers around and rearranging the Nerdy Nights, and then getting a lot of instruction on the side from people (KHan, Memblers, bunnyboy, MRN, etc.), but now I can actually read the resources and make sense of them :). Well, most of the time anyways. I am also returning to some of the questions that I asked here years ago for my next project, and am finally able to make sense of the answers that you guys gave me (mid-frame palette swaps, lighting effects). It has been a fun journey, and thanks for all of the help along the way, it has not gone to waste!

GradualGames

Re: Spook-o'-tron - Virtual Boy Controller Fun

Post by GradualGames »

This is a really fun game. Using two dpads for control is an inventive idea, and I look forward to trying it that way. Fun/spooky music too.
Punch

Post by Punch »

1. where's the virtual boy input adapter documentation
2. someone hack (1) into Smash TV please
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
SoleGooseProductions

Post by SoleGooseProductions »

I'll try and get the guide up tomorrow, it was a busy weekend.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Punch wrote:1. where's the virtual boy input adapter documentation
I don't have a virtual boy controller or adapter to test, but I have deduced the protocol from documentation and added this to the wiki:
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Virt ... controller
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

rainwarrior wrote:I don't have a virtual boy controller or adapter to test, but I have deduced the protocol from documentation and added this to the wiki:
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Virt ... controller
I've clarified some of the details on this page from sources/documents which I cannot discuss. Thanks for getting this in there!