Ludum Dare The Sequel: Who Dar-rays Wins

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

team_disposable

Re: Ludum Dare The Sequel: Who Dar-rays Wins

Post by team_disposable »

Hi Sumez,

Thanks! I've fixed the number 19 clipping (I think) and worked a little on the jump - you can no longer get your head stuck in objects - not sure if this fixes the tree issue though..

Here's the latest build. Around six more screens, some inventory logic, lives, and few other bits to go.
ludum_dare.24-04-2017@0-44-46.61.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

Awesome, a few people doing ludum dare for retro consoles. Ran into a guy who did a game on the vectrex on IRC, so that's pretty cool.

Here's my entry: See Entry
Or play it online here: Play
Or... since you already know how awful the web-based emulator is, here's the rom: Download

Or, just check out the god-awful source: Source Code
(Note: Yes, I did some awful, awful things, both in terms of code and in terms of RAM/ROM space usage, etc... it's interesting what you find yourself doing with a strict time limit.)

Just played with the rom of "A Small World" and I like the quirky movement! Super curious what the final game looks like.
Looks like Pubby's got a separate thread, so I'll check out that one there.
Last edited by cppchriscpp on Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pubby

Post by pubby »

Man, that was really neat. I loved collecting the worlds and seeing how the level would grow. And it was impressive how many screens you had in the game. Making levels takes more time than people think.

I only wish it was a bit harder (I like sadistic games!), and that the player's bounding box was a bit tighter, but other than that it was great.

Also, that online emulator was good idea. I tried a few Javascript ones with my game this morning but none of them worked. I'm hoping that's because I used illegal opcodes and not something else.
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

Thanks for the feedback!

I've found two web-based emulators that are passable. The one I typically use is nesbox: http://nesbox.com/emulator - the project seems to be dying/dead, but it has pretty good support for anything I've ever done. (I've yet to find a JS one that's workable, sadly...) The only real downside is some minor input delay, and some major sound delay. It's generally playable, though.

I recently found this one that looks promising too: https://bitbucket.org/tsone/em-fceux - my only issue with it is that on my machine, it constantly produces right inputs, making most games extremely hard to play. (I should really file that bug...)
team_disposable

So I managed to get mine in before the deadline, which is excellent.

Here's the latest release,
ludum_dare.rc-6.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
ludum_dare.rc-7a.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 208 times

(edit: swapped out from original version for a bug in sprite blanking and screen changing)

edit: added a version to fix a bug in the final screen

also on itch.io here:

https://team-disposable.itch.io/a-small-world

and ludum dare link here:

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/38/$27471

I intend to make an out-of-competition version and activate the coins, which are currently just non-collectable clutter.

Also, there is a bug on the end screen causing some random garbage to appear on screen. I'm not sure why as I'm not writing anything to the screen there.

Anyway, let me know if you play it and have any comments!

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention - this uses shirus NES library (exclusively just the OAM sprite loader, I wrote my own functions for everything else), and also has famitone in the codebase (although it is not used), both of which are wonderful pieces of code!
Attachments
ludum_dare.rc-7.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Last edited by team_disposable on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
cppchriscpp

Post by cppchriscpp »

Just played through and managed to beat it!

Great entry; that was a lot of fun! I do have a couple nitpicks:

You already know the coins being uncollectable is a bit off-putting at first, but no big deal especially where you mention it first thing. also made my way to one of the floating disk things. (Also not collectible) and got a little discouraged when that wasn't the goal either. I eventually found the right things though. One thought: Could you have just set the image for those sprites to be empty in your chr file to hide them in a quick-and-dirty way? I tend to let a lot of hacks like that slide when I do things like Ludum Dare - it's a short coding contest; I'm not gonna be maintaining my code for years to come.

the other thing - I was kinda sad there was no music or sound. I'll be the first to admit I'm awful at both of those things - I've yet to make a song I've truly liked and my sfx aren't much better. That said, in playing games by others over time I've found any music/sound at all really adds to the game. It's something I'm really sad I didn't get in the Gameboy game I did a while back.

That aside, I really enjoyed playing it.

I really liked the direction mechanic. The controls took a moment to get used to (my up is now the character's left? What is this madness!? .. then my brain broke) but it made sense and worked. I also really liked the art (esp the main character) - it's really hard to make anything with a 2-3 day limit. My frog looks like a paint blob got in an unfortunate accident, so I have to respect that.

Always a pleasure to see more retro games made during these things; thanks for a fun little diversion!
team_disposable

That's great feedback, thanks!

It having been a little late in the day, it literally didn't occur to me to patch them out. It would have been the sensible option, definitely - I think I was still rather hopeful to get them fully working in time. Here's a quick patched post ld version:
ludum_dare.post-ld-1.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
ludum_dare.post-ld-2.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
ludum_dare.post-ld4.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
edit: ld2 new build with bug fix and entry point back in to map

edit: ld4 with collectable coins, however they don't do anything yet

Currently I've been leaving sound dev until last - however that seems to invariably mean it doesn't get done. I'll definitely bump it up a few notches for the next project.

Thanks for taking the time to play the game and for the excellent feedback!
Last edited by team_disposable on Thu May 04, 2017 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
pubby

Post by pubby »

That was tricky! It took me a while to beat it. The flipping gravity was more clever than I first though.

Good job.

Also, it seems like you got all of the bugs worked out, so that's good. I didn't get stuck in walls like I did in the beta version, heh.

I'd definitely play this if it were made into a bigger game. :wink:
tepples

Post by tepples »

I tried this in FCEUX and got stuck on the far right side, after "THIS WAY OUT". At top right (A) is "YOUR RIDE IS LOW ON CRYSTALS"; I can't proceed past this. At bottom right (B) is a screen that repeats if I go down. where if I go down x times, I have to go back up x + 1 times to leave. And if I try to reenter through "THIS WAY OUT", when I jump to position C, I get pushed through a block at the far left side of the screen.

And why B to jump?

EDIT: Added screenshots
Attachments
confusing_parts.png
confusing_parts.png (10.78 KiB) Viewed 5518 times
team_disposable

Thanks for playing the game! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I fixed the bug Tepples discovered, and added an entry point back in to the map for more adventurous souls. The gap to get back in the map seems like a bit of a big modification for a Ludum Dare release, so I've put that one in the post-dare release.
ludum_dare.rc-7a.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
ludum_dare.post-ld-2.nes
(64.02 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
B to jump as it's the only button used in the game, and I like B!
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

In the gravity maze, you can fall through the floor where the bright purple-pink arrow is.

(huh, an actual reason to want a real spoiler tag in this forum...)
Attachments
gravity-maze-fall-through-floor.png
gravity-maze-fall-through-floor.png (4.45 KiB) Viewed 5486 times