Nebs & Debs

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

dullahan

Re: Nebs & Debs

Post by dullahan »

Yep, the crystal animations need to be updated to not use $0D. Are you seeing it elsewhere rainwarrior?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

It's constantly covering large parts of the screen and background in that demo. It's the background colour 0.

Also, all the sprite palettes using black in colour 3 are using $1D by the way. (Maybe not a problem on its own, but also unusual.)
Last edited by rainwarrior on Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
olddb

Post by olddb »

what happens with $0d?
btw: congratulations!!!
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

Yep, you're right. Thanks for bringing it to attention. I'll have to review my palette generation logic.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

olddb wrote:what happens with $0d?
It's a "lower than black" voltage signal that confuses some TVs which will interpret as a blanking signal. A lot of TVs will have horziontal hold problems (wobbly picture) or just drop the signal entirely.

Usually OK to use a little bit in sprite outlines or something (e.g. TMNT does this) but the more screen coverage there is the more it's likely to cause a problem.

Some info: http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Colo ... es#Effects
olddb

Post by olddb »

Thank you for the link.
$0e && $0f are safe, right?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Yes the E and F columns are fine. No problems with those.

Dullahan I don't know how much traffic you get at https://www.nebsndebs.com/ but you might want to put a link to the kickstarter on it now that it's live? (Also the press page link goes to the Dullahan press page rather than Nebs'n'Debs'.)
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

Thanks olddb :)

Rainwarrior, thanks for bringing it up. It's on my todo list. Hopefully I can get to it today.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

At the risk of being that guy, autofire B lets you "walk" on air:
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

Thanks Kasumi. I'll have to look into ways to foil autofiring. :)
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

nebsndebs-demo-08142018_000.png
nebsndebs-demo-08142018_000.png (5.64 KiB) Viewed 14906 times
I really didn't see that I can't walk on those things, felt like a cheap death.

1 way scrolling?
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

Thanks for the feedback Oziphantom :)
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Here's some half-baked quick edits to show some possibilities i could think of on top of my head. Hope it isn't too intrusive.

-darker leaves may help separate them a bit more from the brighter ground blocks.
-a bit added shade whenever they're placed to the right of or below a solid block (i did the effect quite sparsely here so it isn't that noticeable)
-alternately, maybe a hard diagonal shade does the trick (shown in just one spot, and not to its fullest potential - this needs to be true for blocks underneath solids too to feel convincing).
-two death saving blocks right below that a)text that it isn't treadable, 2)will save the player and teach the fact practically
-making it look less like a staircase/more like an edge/drop/void could help.
Attachments
nebsdebsdoodle.png
nebsdebsdoodle.png (7.98 KiB) Viewed 14859 times
dullahan

Post by dullahan »

FrankenGraphics, thanks for the feedback and taking the time to demonstrate with a pic. I think one of those solutions will probably end up in the final version of level 1 because there have been a number of players who have commented on that part :)
olddb

Post by olddb »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Here's some half-baked quick edits to show some possibilities i could think of on top of my head. Hope it isn't too intrusive.

-darker leaves may help separate them a bit more from the brighter ground blocks.
-a bit added shade whenever they're placed to the right of or below a solid block (i did the effect quite sparsely here so it isn't that noticeable)
-alternately, maybe a hard diagonal shade does the trick (shown in just one spot, and not to its fullest potential - this needs to be true for blocks underneath solids too to feel convincing).
-two death saving blocks right below that a)text that it isn't treadable, 2)will save the player and teach the fact practically
-making it look less like a staircase/more like an edge/drop/void could help.
The 2-block thing is pure genius.
Is there any good source online where one can learn concepts like this?