Super Sunny World - New NES Platformer

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Goose2k

Super Sunny World - New NES Platformer

Post by Goose2k »

About the game:

Super Sunny World is going to be a very simple, bright, colorful, platformer inspired by Super Mario Bros 1. I'd like to recreate some of the "design magic" of that game, with a few little twists to the formula.

This is not a hack! It is an original NES game!

Development Schedule:

Originally, I set the goal of finishing this game is just 4 weeks! However, at the end of the 4th week there was still a lot of work to do. And to be honest, the game is shaping up really nicely. I don't want to rush it out at this point, just to meet so arbitrary goal I set for myself.

So although I still hope to keep the scope of this project quite small, delivering in the realm of "months" (not years), there is likely still a good chunk of work left to do!

Release Plans:

Super Sunny World will be available as a physical NES cartridge and a digital ROM download.

Latest Development Screenshots

Last edited by Goose2k on Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Goose2k

Re: Super Sunny World - New NES Platformer

Post by Goose2k »

Development Updates!

I'm just creating this thread 4 weeks into development so there have already been a number of update videos you can check out!

Annoucement Teaser

Day 2 Update

Week 2 Recap

Week 3 Recap

Week 4 Recap
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

Very impressive!
tepples

Post by tepples »

From what I've seen of this game on Discord, the name Giana comes to mind.
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Week 5 has been a little slow. Just added 1 new enemy type, and added the concept of "lives".

The good news is that the soundtrack is now complete and we can spend most of this week's video previewing it! Enjoy!

Week 5 Recap Video
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

This weeks update is live!

Week 6 Recap

A bunch of fun new features went in this wee.

This recap introduces a few new moves to Sunny's repertoire, and gives a little glimpse at how levels will be strung together via the level editor.

sunny_003.png
sunny_003.png (8.13 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
sunny_004.png
sunny_004.png (5.7 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
sunny_007.png
sunny_007.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
sunny_009.png
sunny_009.png (8.34 KiB) Viewed 5057 times
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Week 7 brought in hidden block and a whole new area of the game: the Cloud Zone! Check out the short recap video here:

Week 7 Recap Video
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Check out the latest recap of development on my brand new NES game, Super Sunny World:sun_with_face:!

This update brings major perf improvements (thanks Fiskbit and co), and 2 new gameplay mechanics!

Developer Log #8 - Super Sunny World
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Check out the latest updates to my upcoming NES game, Super Sunny World! 🌞

This update brings multiple new gameplay features as well as a first look at the box cover for the physical version of the game!

Open on YouTube
Attachments
video_preview_9.png
video_preview_9.png (184.59 KiB) Viewed 4506 times
HJRodrigo

Post by HJRodrigo »

Love the quality of the art. Have you given any thought to making the character's hair pink instead of blonde for the box art? This would make it more in line with the character's game sprite and, as the art style on the box is anime-inspired, it would not look out of place for her to have pink hair.

P.S. Maybe you could also add the bow to the sprite's hair since it appears to be a major feature of her appearance in the artwork... I attached a quick edit to one of your screenshots that has a bow in her hair to give you an idea as to what it may look like.
Attachments
sunny_edit.png
sunny_edit.png (5.73 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

HJRodrigo wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:55 pm Love the quality of the art. Have you given any thought to making the character's hair pink instead of blonde for the box art? This would make it more in line with the character's game sprite and, as the art style on the box is anime-inspired, it would not look out of place for her to have pink hair.

P.S. Maybe you could also add the bow to the sprite's hair since it appears to be a major feature of her appearance in the artwork... I attached a quick edit to one of your screenshots that has a bow in her hair to give you an idea as to what it may look like.
Sorry for the delayed response. I thought I had replied, but might have forgot to hit "submit".

Anyway, I think your mock looks pretty cool! I don't do the art for the game (it is done by https://twitter.com/kennethfejer), so to iterate and make changes like this is a bit of a challenge. I have to feel pretty strongly about something changing to really push him to redo something he's already done, and in this case I'm super happy with what we have already.

Thanks for the ideas though! I love seeing it.
dink

Post by dink »

At least the in-game & box art are in-line with reality - I know a young lady who changes her hair color once a week!
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

It's been tough to find time to put together a Super Sunny World 🌞 update video this summer, so here's 3 months worth of features condensed into 2 minutes! Enjoy!

Watch Now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=711oBr7GGZU
Goose2k

Post by Goose2k »

Let me take you on a tour of World 1 of Super Sunny World! 🌞

DEV UPDATE #11 IS HERE!

https://youtu.be/teyJR4SSca8