Hello Kitty: Terroristic attacks in the Hong Kong Mall

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Hikikomori

Hello Kitty: Terroristic attacks in the Hong Kong Mall

Post by Hikikomori »

HELLO KITTY :ハローキティ香港のショッピングセンターに対するテロ攻撃

I've made this tiny experimental game for NES, 40Kb.

You just have to explode whenever you think you can do the most victims. Everything from sounds to font to sprites is madein 3 days by me. A thing i like for example, is the News with the journalist speaking pseudo-chinese with the noise channel.

Explode with A, Reset with Select.

Known Bugs: Game crashes after X games.
Attachments
HelloIsisNOPALGLITCH.nes
No palette glitch, stack still overflows, however its harder to crash now.
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
HelloIsis.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 388 times
Last edited by Hikikomori on Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erockbrox

Re: Hello Kitty: Terroristic attacks in the Hong Kong Mall

Post by Erockbrox »

Most I got was 7. The game is fine, but you are a kitten who has a bomb strapped to himself and killing yourself along with other people right? LOL

Maybe add more levels with more people in it and you have to get a minimum an order to get to the next level. Also the news ladies face apparently started to change colors on me and at one point the game crashed. I got to the news screen and then the game wouldn't run anymore.

Gilbert

Post by Gilbert »

Haven't tried it yet, but considering I'm from Hong Kong and what those retarded beggars protesters are doing at the moment, I don't know what to make of this, from the game's name and its premise.

I think it's just supposed to be silly fun and means no harm, but this could turn off a number of sensitive people, at a time not quite right for its announcement.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Gilbert wrote:Haven't tried it yet, but considering I'm from Hong Kong and what those retarded beggars protesters are doing at the moment, I don't know what to make of this, from the game's name and its premise.

I think it's just supposed to be silly fun and means no harm, but this could turn off a number of sensitive people, at a time not quite right for its announcement.
Oh man that sucks !
Hope you can go on with your daily life without being affected by those violent events going on in Hong Kong, and hopefully it'll soon get solved/under control.

As for the game, I can see where the dark humor merged with cute/rosy things is very funny and an interesting theme. However setting it in Hong Kong exactly when this city has trouble, this is not a very bright move.
Sverker

Post by Sverker »

Oh come on, it's a silly homebrew game that will impact zero lives in Hong Kong or elsewhere.
Ryoga

Post by Ryoga »

I have been testing the game. The maximum number of casualties I have achieved is 10.

Hello Kitty: ハローキティ香港のショッピングセンターに対するテロ攻撃
Hikikomori

Post by Hikikomori »

Ryoga wrote:I have been testing the game. The maximum number of casualties I have achieved is 10.

Hello Kitty: ハローキティ香港のショッピングセンターに対するテロ攻撃
Well done! You were the first in the world! :beer:
Sverker wrote:Oh come on, it's a silly homebrew game that will impact zero lives in Hong Kong or elsewhere.
I agree on that. This game was not meant to hurt anyone. It's just a silly game.

Also, i've made a FAKE ad (with a nice mistyping error!)

Alp

Post by Alp »

Hikikomori wrote:I agree on that. This game was not meant to hurt anyone. It's just a silly game.
Look on the bright side-- if people from China are offended by your game, it might just become the first homebrew game to avoid being put on bootleg cartridges! :P
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I know I know but come on. Shit is hapening in HongKong right now, and this game is settled in HongKong. They could have said just any other city in the world and it would be the same, but they had to pick the one where shit is hapening right now.

Maybe this was just randomness, though. If the name was picked before the shit in HongKong started, then it's definitely a coincidence.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I've gotten as many as 9 when I tried. The baby carriages are worth another point, too. It's pretty brutal. I like and hate it, it's good.

As far as people being offended by it, it's easy for us to say "so what" because we don't live under an authoritarian government. Just saying, if I lived in China or was able to visit, I sure as shit wouldn't want my real name attached to anything potentially offensive/sensitive. I don't think anyone would get in trouble over a ROM, but I hate to imagine that.

I heard about a Taiwanese FC homebrew being released on cart soon/recently that is potentially controversial (just looked but I can't find it again right now). But IIRC, the developers in the end decided to change the cover art for the domestic release, and they kept the original art for the international release.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

First off, this game is pretty damn tasteless.

Second, you're leaking 4 bytes of stack memory each game loop, thus all the glitches and problems.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Memblers wrote:IAs far as people being offended by it, it's easy for us to say "so what" because we don't live under an authoritarian government. Just saying, if I lived in China or was able to visit, I sure as shit wouldn't want my real name attached to anything potentially offensive/sensitive. I don't think anyone would get in trouble over a ROM, but I hate to imagine that.
Well Memblers if I'm not mistaken you're living in the United States, and seen from here (Europe) it's seen a pretty authoritarian too... I mean sure there is freedom of expression of all, but 1% of the population is in jail, and jails are private corporations, with juges being corrupted to give jail sentense so that their friends managing jails can make more money by jailing people... that sounds awfully corrupt and authoritarian. Not to mention the very relaxed weapons politics, etc...

Also, while we're on this topic, I've seen Mega Man V is officially illegal in Vietnam because of Napalm Man, who is obviously very offenseive for vietnamese people. I wonder whether this story is true, and what happens if you're catched playing Mega Man V in Vietnam.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Bregalad wrote:
Memblers wrote:IAs far as people being offended by it, it's easy for us to say "so what" because we don't live under an authoritarian government. Just saying, if I lived in China or was able to visit, I sure as shit wouldn't want my real name attached to anything potentially offensive/sensitive. I don't think anyone would get in trouble over a ROM, but I hate to imagine that.
Well Memblers if I'm not mistaken you're living in the United States, and seen from here (Europe) it's seen a pretty authoritarian too... I mean sure there is freedom of expression of all, but 1% of the population is in jail, and jails are private corporations, with juges being corrupted to give jail sentense so that their friends managing jails can make more money by jailing people... that sounds awfully corrupt and authoritarian. Not to mention the very relaxed weapons politics, etc...
It's true, the justice system in the US is overtly barbaric, and honestly in others ways it's probably worse than you think, and it's always been like this (I mean before my time, at least). The difference is now, a common phone is just seconds away from recording a live video stream. Finally everyone is forced to confront it, and there has been push-back. In some areas, police officers have been convicted of murder for basically the first time in living memory. Companies have been refusing to supply execution drugs to prisons. It's not 100% corrupt at every level, but that's not supposed to be a compliment.

My caution is in the same vein as in the US, only matters if people give the game publicity obviously, but if I made a terrorism-themed game with US in-groups or out-groups, I suspect I would find myself on several lists. I seriously have a letter from "Dept. of Homeland Security" that states that I'm not a threat to national security, but it expired back in probably 2009. So these days, who's to say? It was for hazmat certification from a previous job, I saved it and put it away because it's just too ridiculous to look at.
Bregalad wrote: Also, while we're on this topic, I've seen Mega Man V is officially illegal in Vietnam because of Napalm Man, who is obviously very offenseive for vietnamese people. I wonder whether this story is true, and what happens if you're catched playing Mega Man V in Vietnam.
I've heard that before also but it's never with any documented source. I think I about how I never really encountered MM5 carts "in the wild" myself, either. Unless they were getting a lot of game releases at the time, and that one is conspicuously absent, that makes it seem more probable.
Hikikomori

Post by Hikikomori »

Dwedit wrote:
Second, you're leaking 4 bytes of stack memory each game loop, thus all the glitches and problems.
New version uploaded, stack unfortunately still overflows but console need to be restarted less often.
No palette glitch at all.

EDIT: I like however the glitched binary. I like when the girl face turns grey.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

About 28 loops before it crashes. If you can't think of anything else, just reset the stack pointer when you reach the title screen.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!