battle girl (It deserves a version 8BIT)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

Re: battle girl (It deserves a version 8BIT)

Post by tokumaru »

Minecraft on the NES would have to be an isometric game to be any interesting, wouldn't it? A pure 2D Minecraft sounds very boring.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

There's been several million (mostly terrible) 2D open-world crafting games released for the PC since Minecraft first appeared.

Terraria is well-rated, though.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

The limitations of an isometric viewpoint might be even harsher than a 2d one. First, you have the problem taking full advantage of colours because of the attribute grid. Secondly, every iso game for the system so far have very carefully planned, non-dynamic rooms as to give a clear view on the scene. You might be able to rotate the viewpoint in 4 steps, but how do you view something like the player digging a narrow hole? Maybe cross-sect and hide everything in front of, but it'd be troublesome for navigation.

Single player 2d side-view minecraft game without... certain minecrafty things and practices - probably runs out of stimuli quickly unless a new object of the game is invented. For example a stronger emphasis on "survive the night": Gather resources, build your base, endure, fight or worst case escape waves of goons.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

FrankenGraphics wrote:First, you have the problem taking full advantage of colours because of the attribute grid.
Yes, that's a big problem on the NES.
You might be able to rotate the viewpoint in 4 steps
I was counting on that.
but how do you view something like the player digging a narrow hole? Maybe cross-sect and hide everything in front of, but it'd be troublesome for navigation.
Maybe you could turn the cross-section mode on and off.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

tokumaru wrote:Minecraft on the NES would have to be an isometric game to be any interesting, wouldn't it? A pure 2D Minecraft sounds very boring.
I'd think overhead, Survival Kids-esque would be the way to go, but I've never played Minecraft, am only aware of it through social osmosis. I think embracing a viewpoint that strengthens use of the grid would be a better aesthetic choice, and by choosing to shade in a way that casts a shadow from elevated platforms, height could be effectively communicated.

I also agree with Frankengraphics that a new game with an original IP would be more interesting than a port/demake.