It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:05 pm 

Minecraft on the NES would have to be an isometric game to be any interesting, wouldn't it? A pure 2D Minecraft sounds very boring.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:27 pm 

There's been several million (mostly terrible) 2D open-world crafting games released for the PC since Minecraft first appeared.

Terraria is well-rated, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

The limitations of an isometric viewpoint might be even harsher than a 2d one. First, you have the problem taking full advantage of colours because of the attribute grid. Secondly, every iso game for the system so far have very carefully planned, non-dynamic rooms as to give a clear view on the scene. You might be able to rotate the viewpoint in 4 steps, but how do you view something like the player digging a narrow hole? Maybe cross-sect and hide everything in front of, but it'd be troublesome for navigation.

Single player 2d side-view minecraft game without... certain minecrafty things and practices - probably runs out of stimuli quickly unless a new object of the game is invented. For example a stronger emphasis on "survive the night": Gather resources, build your base, endure, fight or worst case escape waves of goons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:09 pm 

FrankenGraphics wrote:
First, you have the problem taking full advantage of colours because of the attribute grid.

Yes, that's a big problem on the NES.

Quote:
You might be able to rotate the viewpoint in 4 steps

I was counting on that.

Quote:
but how do you view something like the player digging a narrow hole? Maybe cross-sect and hide everything in front of, but it'd be troublesome for navigation.

Maybe you could turn the cross-section mode on and off.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:13 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
Minecraft on the NES would have to be an isometric game to be any interesting, wouldn't it? A pure 2D Minecraft sounds very boring.

I'd think overhead, Survival Kids-esque would be the way to go, but I've never played Minecraft, am only aware of it through social osmosis. I think embracing a viewpoint that strengthens use of the grid would be a better aesthetic choice, and by choosing to shade in a way that casts a shadow from elevated platforms, height could be effectively communicated.

I also agree with Frankengraphics that a new game with an original IP would be more interesting than a port/demake.