Someone for finish Universal PPU project (FPGA for real NES)

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

nonosto

Someone for finish Universal PPU project (FPGA for real NES)

Post by nonosto »

Hello World

I'm sorry to bother you for my first post and I'm assuming it's not the first time you've this request. I am the proud owner of a NES PAL HI Def HDMI up-to-date last FW (XMAS 80's gift). However to have the ultimate NES missing an element: new FPGA PPU improve sprite display (no flickering/lag ith lot of sprite in same scrren) and good speed for any region.
One guy begin a project called Universal PPU but never finished (see youtube link below). All code/scheme is avallable I can send it.

I contacted kevtris (Hidef HDMI and Anlog NT conceptor) but he have no interest.

Please someone can see this project for help NES community.

THX all

https://www.youtube.com/user/UniversalPPU
lidnariq

Re: Someone for finish Universal PPU project (FPGA for real

Post by lidnariq »

Ccovell has this wonderful image for your situation:
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

You mean that:

Unfortanelly I am better with Latex or in Mathematica than FPGA programming...If nobody can do it it's so sadly...Universal PPU is si nice idea....
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

If you're smart enough to understand how to write LaTeX, you're smart enough to teach yourself Verilog.
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

really it's impossible this instruction from my picture:

Code: Select all

\begin{document}
\beginpgfgraphicnamed{intersection}%
\small

\begin{tikzpicture}
	\begin{scope}
	\clip (2,0) ellipse (1.5cm and 1cm);
	\end{scope}

\draw (0,0) ellipse (1.5cm and 1cm);
    \draw (2.5,0) node {$A\cap B =  \emptyset$};
    \draw (5,0) ellipse (1.5cm and 1cm);

\draw (-1,1) node [left]{$A$};
    \draw (4.5,1) node [left]{$B$};

\end{tikzpicture}
It's very easier than program FPGA....I havo no skill just basic knoledg in C++...no retro ingenring...I dont wh'at's tools use...I have only lastet code source version....here:
http://uptobox.com/54twxg2u50hg
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

nonosto wrote:Unfortanelly I am better with Latex or in Mathematica than FPGA programming...If nobody can do it it's so sadly...Universal PPU is si nice idea....
It's typically not fortune that you're better at one programming/descriptor language than another. It's just that you happen have more experience with some more that others due to your past choices & environment. Regardless of how related it is, the programming experience you have is a great benefit to learning any new language. If you have the motivation, dedication, and access to the internet, learning any language is entirely possible.

I think Henry Ford said it best with the following quotes:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Sounds like you're saying you can't and you're right so long as that's what you say. We're trying to convince you you can, which is also true if you decide to agree with us. Both your and lidariq's Venn diagrams are correct, you just get to choose which applies to you.

One more Ford quote for good measure: “Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”

All that said, this is honestly not the best first project if you'd like to learn verilog/VHDL.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
nonosto

Post by nonosto »

you are so right, I will see...I continu to ask help anyhere too.

THX for your thank you for your warm welcome.
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

yo, anyone still have this universalppu.zip archive that they released?
The site is down and cant seem to find it anywhere :/
qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo »

I'm not sure exactly when I downloaded this, so it might not be the latest version, but it's at least something.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... L_i7MmsYgZ
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

lidnariq wrote:Ccovell has this wonderful image for your situation:
I guess I'm in the green circle then ? I can do FPGA programming just fine but don't see the point to re-invent PPU if more than 8 sprites per line is the only difference as opposed to the "real" PPU - emulators can do this just fine - this will improve some games but break others as they purposely use more than 8 sprites per line to cleverly hide parts of sprites.

As for good speed with PAL output, I think Dendy already does exactly that.

PS : Also this would be a hardware project and not a NES homebrew project, so this thread is in the wrong sub-forum.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Well, to me the point is that Nintendo isn't making these chips anymore, so we're bound to run out of working NES consoles sometime in the future. By making our own faithful recreations of the hardware we can guarantee we'll have accurate and reliable hardware for generations to come.
qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo »

Having an accurate clone of the PPU hardware would also allow creating an alternative to the NESRGB to output clean RGB or YPbPr video, with custom palette selection, without needing an original PPU as well to make it work.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I still don't understand the point of cloning the PPU rather than the entiere system as a whole. Cloning the whole system makes a lot of sense, cloning the PPU alone not so much (except perhaps as a stepping stone for the aim of a full system clone).
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Both the CPU and the PPU are custom parts, so I guess it makes sense to clone them both. I imagine that once they've been fully cloned, putting both in the same FPGA should be straightforward, right?
tepples

Post by tepples »

It allows an incremental process to preserve the NES architecture.
  1. Clone the PPU, and you can use it with an authentic 2A03/7 CPU, such as rescuing a console with a dead PPU.
  2. Clone the APU and DMA controller, and you can use it with a MOS 6502 CPU.*
  3. Clone the CPU, and you have the entire SOC, which you can compile for an FPGA, an ASIC, or whatever.

* This step assumes that the game turns off decimal mode and leaves it off. The DMA controller can spoonfeed CLD upon reset, except for games that explicitly SED or PLP a value with bit 3 true. Do any exist?