Nim & Nom - v1.2 Easy Mode!

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Krill

Nim & Nom - v1.2 Easy Mode!

Post by Krill »

Hey everybody! It's been quite a while since I've posted any sort of update for Nim & Nom but I'm happy to announce that it is finally finished!
I hope you enjoy playing it!

Controls:
A - Jump / Confirm
B - Attack / Back
Start - Pause / Confirm
Select - Restart Stage

Screenshots:
ImageImageImage

Source code: Link
Here is the source code for anyone interested in it. I'd just like to add that this has been a big learning experience for me over the years I've been working on it and I've learnt a lot. Though as I learnt more I did not go back and rewrite routines or reorganise code and this will be evident when looking at the source. There's a lot of redundant, inefficient, duplicate code and some outright silly mistakes within.

Version 1.1 Changes:-
  • - Fixed graphical screen wrap issue with the boulder and the ducks' Projectile.
    - Fixed a glitch with the top-left boar in stage 2-9 where it would continuously charge at nothing.
    - Damage from the boar has been reduced from 10 to 8.
    - Damage from the ducks' projectile has been reduced from 8 to 6.
    - Damage from the duck has been increased from 6 to 8.
    - Damage from the Sheep has been reduced from 8 to 7.
    - Damage from the fly has been reduced from 7 to 6.
    - Damage from the gull has been reduced from 10 to 9.
    - The interval between the ducks' shots has been increased from 64 to 72 frames.
    - Respawn time for the flowers on stage 2-9 has been increased by 12 frames.
    - Respawn time for the flowers on stage 4-3 has been decreased by 575 frames.
    - Landing lag from the player attacking has been decreased from 7 to 4.
Version 1.2 Changes:-
  • - Easy mode has been added!
    • - (Easy) Damage multiplier has been lowered to 0.6 (single-player) and 0.5 (multi-player).
      - (Easy) Modified the behavior of a few of the enemies.
      - (Easy) Reduced the speed of many of the enemies.
      - (Easy) Reduced the amount of stages that have weather effects.
    - Added snow to stage 4-2 of multiplayer.
    - Increased the tempo of the music for PAL consoles by 12% approx.
    - Removed a single fish from the stages 4-1 (single-player) and 4-2 (multi-player).
    - (Normal) The interval between the ducks' shots has been decreased to 66 from 72 frames.
Attachments
Nim & Nom v1.2.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 1545 times
Nim & Nom v1.0.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 973 times
Nim & Nom v1.1.nes
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 1066 times
Last edited by Krill on Fri May 25, 2018 9:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
M_Tee

Re: Nim & Nom - Finished!

Post by M_Tee »

There's not a single game on any platform I've been looking forward to as much as this. Can't wait to play it!
tepples

Post by tepples »

May I use this in the next Action 53 volume?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Ah, this one was nice! Good work finishing it.

How many levels does it have, now that it's complete?
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I've been looking forward so much to see progress on this, and here you are with a finished game :D
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

tepples wrote:May I use this in the next Action 53 volume?
I hope so. I'd love to have the opportunity to illustrate the creatures.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Just played it! Won't be able to beat it in a while (which is good) but this game will have me coming back :) Congratulations on its completion and thanks for a nice weekend finale!

Made a little famitracker cover of the title music to celebrate your release/give something in return before going to bed.
https://frankengraphics.files.wordpress ... gement.mp3
Krill

Post by Krill »

M_Tee wrote:There's not a single game on any platform I've been looking forward to as much as this. Can't wait to play it!
I'm really happy to hear that and makes me glad I pushed myself to finish it. There we're many times I thought I never would.
tepples wrote:May I use this in the next Action 53 volume?
Go right ahead, I'm happy for you to use it!
rainwarrior wrote:Ah, this one was nice! Good work finishing it.

How many levels does it have, now that it's complete?
Thank you!
There are 33 levels in the game. I planned to have more and had the ideas to do so but ultimately decided against it partly due to the limited space available for graphics and my lack of experience programming a game.
FrankenGraphics wrote:Just played it! Won't be able to beat it in a while (which is good) but this game will have me coming back :) Congratulations on its completion and thanks for a nice weekend finale!

Made a little famitracker cover of the title music to celebrate your release/give something in return before going to bed.
https://frankengraphics.files.wordpress ... gement.mp3
It is absolutely awesome and I love it! Thanks!
It took me so long to make the music and to see you make a cover in such a short time just amazes me.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Thanks, glad you liked it. :) Well you had a line ready for me to improvise over. Half the of the effort writing music is coming up with and deciding on the theme itself. A loop is also much less daunting to interpret than a 3-minute song.

Out of curiosity, do you hard-type music as code/data or do you use famitracker to come up with it?

Glad to hear you want this in on the a53 cartridge, it'll be a great addition. :)
Krill

Post by Krill »

I just have a difficult time coming up with music. I spent a bit of time trying to improve what I have but didn't have much success. For me, the music was the most difficult part of making the game.

To create the music I mess around on a keyboard until I find something I like. Then I recreate that in famitracker and play around with it a bit more. It's a little more work but I find it difficult to create music solely using famitracker.

It fills me with joy to think that Nim & Nom will be on the a53 cartridge.
Denine

Post by Denine »

Great entry. Good to hear it will join the Action53 :D
If you finished this before the compo deadline, we would have quite a serious contender.
To be honest, I cant beat the game, I tried and failed. The later ice levels are too much for me.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

This game is beautiful and plays really well. I don't know how to beat the bigs yet, I managed to kill one of them but I don't know how. Will try more later.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Krill

Post by Krill »

Denine wrote:Great entry. Good to hear it will join the Action53 :D
If you finished this before the compo deadline, we would have quite a serious contender.
To be honest, I cant beat the game, I tried and failed. The later ice levels are too much for me.
Thanks!
A lot of people have been having trouble with the ice levels overall between sliding on the ice and the placement of enemies. If you don't mind me asking, at what level did the difficulty become too much?
nesrocks wrote:This game is beautiful and plays really well. I don't know how to beat the bigs yet, I managed to kill one of them but I don't know how. Will try more later.
Thank you and good luck with the ice levels!
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Don't know why I typed bigs. I meant pigs. Yeah, I will probably need it :)
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
calima

Post by calima »

For me, the difficulty got too much in the first few rain/wind levels, I don't remember exactly which.