Nim & Nom - v1.2 Easy Mode!

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Denine

Re: Nim & Nom - Finished!

Post by Denine »

Krill wrote: If you don't mind me asking, at what level did the difficulty become too much?
This one:
NimNom.png
NimNom.png (4.6 KiB) Viewed 17188 times
In some attempts, I managed to eat all flowers before any of them regrow...but then I run out of time before I can eat remaining two enemies.
Btw, I noticed there is a bit of a lag after you jump, chomp in air and land on ground. Was there a reason for this other than hindering player ability to jump immediately?
Krill

Post by Krill »

calima wrote:For me, the difficulty got too much in the first few rain/wind levels, I don't remember exactly which.
I've had a few people mention that the wind is too strong and just find it a nuisance. Sadly with how it was implemented I am unable to make it any weaker. It's just one of many parts I'd like to change but am unable to.

Denine wrote: In some attempts, I managed to eat all flowers before any of them regrow...but then I run out of time before I can eat remaining two enemies.
Btw, I noticed there is a bit of a lag after you jump, chomp in air and land on ground. Was there a reason for this other than hindering player ability to jump immediately?
More so to stop them chomping immediately, when the landing lag was implemented the game was rather different and I used it to prevent the player from being essentially invincible. Until you mentioned it I had actually forgotten about it.

Just a quick question, if I post an updated version of the game, would people prefer I keep the original up as well or take it down?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Krill wrote:Just a quick question, if I post an updated version of the game, would people prefer I keep the original up as well or take it down?
Keeping old versions up is helpful for bisecting version history to find where a problem was introduced. But I'm fine either way, so long as both have version numbers, dates, or other identifying marks.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I think it is more important to keep version history for tools.

If old versions are distributed, i'd probably keep them bundled in a zipfile or something.
Krill

Re: Nim & Nom - Finished! v1.1 Update

Post by Krill »

Version 1.1 is now available! See the original post for details and the file!

Thank you all for the feedback, it's been a great help! After listening to it all I took some time to look at the areas mentioned and to contemplate the issues given. The changes I've made probably wont make it too much easier but I do hope it helps provide a somewhat more balanced and better experience.

Also, would anyone be interested in a cheat for more time?
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Ack, got logged out when replying. Short version follows:

It's still great, but I didn't notice much of a change in the difficulty?

On the level with 2 flowers, 2 red fishes, and rain, i feel like one too much element is introduced at the same time which is quite the difficulty gap compared to earlier stages. Maybe remove one of the fishes? Maybe remove the rain? Or increase the flower countdowns. Or make the flowers use the same timer (ie if the second flower is eaten, the first will synchronize, that is, restart the countdown, since it was overwritten by the second flower munch). Just some options.

I think it is a good rule of thumb to not measure against ones' own skill. Game devs quickly become experts on their own game, while new players don't have that chance.

Maybe you can ask someone who hasn't already played it to record a play session (fceux offer input-scripting "movies" which are lightweight).
Krill

Post by Krill »

Thank you for all the input and suggestions, I'll mull over it for a while and have a thorough look at stage 1-9.

Many of the changes balanced out the difficulty in the second world. Though the damage reduction does affect the entire game, it mostly adds an extra hit.

I understand and have tried not to measure to my own skills but even with that said it's still hard to get it right. I've lowered the difficulty greatly compared to what it once was and I'm glad I did that. I just become attached to parts of the game while developing it whether it be bad or good and find it difficult to let it go. Though that is something I need to learn much more readily.

As you've suggested though, I really do need to watch other people play the game. The problem with simply removing/changing enemies is that doesn't necessarily fix the main problem causing it too difficult. Sure, removing some enemies will make it easier but if there is another problem that is the cause it could manifest itself later on in the game for those players. Such as not showing how certain mechanics works clearly enough. I don't want to simply shift their frustration to another stage, I want to fix it if possible. Though, even with that thought, there is only so much I can do with the way the game plays but I will try my hardest to find a solution.
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

I don't want you to make the game too easy.

I would want to see a difficulty setting: Easy, Normal, Hard, 2xHard, 5xHard.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
Krill

Post by Krill »

This game could certainly use an easy mode. After watching some people play it I've noticed that many players have difficulty with the movement alone, which only becomes worse with the added effects of the weather. I don't believe there is anything I can do to help alleviate these issues other than removing the weather completely but I feel that would compromise the quality of the game and I would rather avoid that. But anyway...

Easy mode is here! (v1.2)
It took me a bit of time to implement it but hopefully it will enable more people to enjoy Nim & Nom.

This will mark the last update for Nim & Nom barring a significant bug I didn't find while working on this update. After working on it for so long I've found it to be such a relief to have it finished, knowing I can now put all my efforts towards new projects. Though I will admit I did find myself having fun while working on these updates and will miss it. Anyway, Enjoy!
MWK

Re: Nim & Nom - v1.2 Easy Mode!

Post by MWK »

Krill, this game is absolutely wonderful and I'd like to congratulate you on your work!

I've recently got back from JagNESfest party (yes, Jaguar and NES join venture) and what is significant that literally ALL Atarians were amazed by this game, so, words of appreciation goes out to you from Atari scene as well 8-)

Also, PM sent.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Make us a social networks friendly way to share and like this. The game is incredible in every sense of the word.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Krill

Post by Krill »

I've been meaning to create a twitter account to post updates and future projects but I've just been too busy to get all of it organised but I'll definitely get to it when I get a chance. Thanks again for your kind words!

I've posted the source code for the game in the original post for anyone interested!
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

That's really awesome! My PC was broken when you posted this and I forgot to check it. I'm doing that now.

I have a small question: how are you compiling this? I see it is nesasm3 but I would have trouble figuring out the command paramenters, so a batch file would be appreciated ^^
edit: okay, got it. couldn't be simpler. For anyone wondering, create a nesasm3 folder, have nesasm3.exe there and nim_nom as a sub folder, then just have a batch file inside the nim_nom folder:

Code: Select all

cd..
nesasm3 "nim_nom\nim & nom.asm"
(windows)
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Krill

Post by Krill »

The thought of providing the batch file didn't even cross my mind and thank you for providing an explanation for those who needed it.
I've gone and updated the source to have a batch file. To assemble you will need to place nesasm3 into the same directory as the batch file.

Oh and if you have any question about the code I'll be happy to answer them.
MudkipDoom

Post by MudkipDoom »

Would you consider a cartridge release?