Block Dude port

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

mitch3a

Re: Block Dude port

Post by mitch3a »

Fixed the top left visible sprite and the game complete screen which had an extra character. I think thats all known bugs. Just need to add the "NES" mode with updated music/gfx. Will take me a while cos have a lot of adult distractions coming up, but will release officially once I have that piece done. If anyone else ends up testing, please let me know if/what bugs you find :) Thanks!
Last edited by mitch3a on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

mitch3a, how do you feel about me completely redoing my website (since you appear to use it)?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Punch

Post by Punch »

dougeff wrote:mitch3a, how do you feel about me completely redoing my website (since you appear to use it)?
Sorry for the unsolicited comment but you could always keep the old version of the site up alongside the new one for archival purposes and for readers that want to refer to the old posts.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I made pdf copies of all the pages...for archival purposes.

https://nesdoug.com/2018/07/11/backup-pdf-archive/
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

That bug is now gone. I didn't finish the game but in general it is working fine. I think my current computer setting for the key is too fast so because of that I tend to make mistakes but until I figure out the current level I'm stuck it, I cannot test all of it.

I never was into puzzle so usually they don't keep my interest long (I always was into action games) but I gave it a try. If I finish it and find anything, I will let you know.

Good work! :)
mitch3a

Post by mitch3a »

Yeah in terms of puzzle games, I think this one has fond memories mostly because it was on your calculator so you could play it in class at school, but in terms of gameplay its just OK. Not many levels, and they always seem way too easy or impossible. Originally I was going to build on it to give better levels and more mechanics but since I didn't invent the original and couldn't get ahold of the creator, I figured it wasn't worth it.

dougeff, I think what you have is GREAT. I'm guessing it could always be better, but its got all the building blocks you need and there are little things like the comments, etc that you might lose if you just convert it to pdf. Plus I really like how it feels like you're building your first game and closer to someone learning than a full on expert, which makes it easier to follow as a beginner. Is there something specific about it that makes you want to rewrite it? Obviously I've hit a couple pitfalls but that's an important part of learning. Heck, that's why I did my first "game" in assembly cos I didn't want to skip important knowledge... cos I'd much rather struggle with VBLANK and the PPU at the start of my easy project then get 10k lines into a complex game only to have a weird glitch happen and no underlying knowledge/experience to figure it out.
mitch3a

Post by mitch3a »

Finally an update (summers are busy :( ). I was able to add music and fx. Played with graphics and it didn't add much bc with single sprite blocks, some of the colors were a little messy... plus bc I'm writing the blocks to the background, I would've had to potentially even update code... and at the end of the day, it didn't look like the original so I scrapped the idea.

Basically have a few cleanup things (like volume leveling and testing on a flash cart). If all goes well, hoping to have a release very soon, possibly in the next couple days. Hoping I can convince at least one of you to do a full playthrough and give me any feedback, bugs, etc. I have 2 other folks who are going to do the same, but I think having a dev's perspective could find callouts that a normal player might not notice.
mitch3a

Post by mitch3a »

Here is what i think is ready for release. Let me know if you see anything:
Last edited by mitch3a on Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I could try to test it bug I never made it to the end (I never was into puzzle, that's my weak point in games ^^;;) so I do not know how much feedback I could give this time. I may be able to test it a little bit tonight.
mitch3a

Post by mitch3a »

Officially released this. http://www.romhacking.net/homebrew/104/

Thanks everyone for the help! Hopefully this means I can focus on a submission for the 2018 Nesdev competition!
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Congrats!

Kinda reminds me of playing old handheld LCD games.
mitch3a

Post by mitch3a »

:) yeah. As much as I hate the controls, it does feel like the original so I left it as is. The good news is with that out of the way, I (and another dev) should have plenty of time to get a submission going for this years competition.
mitch3a

Post by mitch3a »

Does anyone actually know the original BlockDude dev (Brandon Sterner)? I pinged his old/inactive reddit account and at one point found someone who said they might be able to find him, but nothing panned out... I'd like to include this port in the NesDev competition, but knowing that there is unlikely but potential money involved (and the consent to put it on the multi-cart), I'd only really feel comfortable submitting with his blessing.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Game has 1/3 of the Super Mario Bros graphics in the CHR. We might want to remove those.
mitch3a

Post by mitch3a »

Crap. Thank you for this. I had started with a chr file i had laying around and while I didn't use anything from the existing file, if there is any data hanging around, i should DEFINITELY remove it. I'll do it tonight and drop a line to NesHomebrew.