Battlekid localized for japanese market

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Banshaku

Re: Battlekid localized for japanese market

Post by Banshaku »

Do not shoot the messenger :lol:

This is the answer I received from them so I was disappointed too. I shared it since people that may be interested about this product may want to know about the risk. I just feel bad for Sivak since my goal is not to tarnish the release of his game but was to let people know that you can now get it on famicom, which I was happy about it at first. I didn't know Columbus had an history about their products.

Those kind of issues are not found in repro board that I remember when I was more active on nesdev, right? Why is that so? The component used are different today or they didn't just do the proper research to make their carts?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Banshaku wrote:I just feel bad for Sivak since my goal is not to tarnish the release of his game but was to let people know that you can now get it on famicom, which I was happy about it at first.
I feel the same way. I want to see more and more quality NES homebrews being released on cartridges and keeping the NES alive, but when the actual product is harmful to people's consoles, then that's doing the very opposite of keeping the NES alive, it's literally killing consoles little by little, and tarnishing the image of the homebrew community along the way. I don't want Sivak to have problems because of this either, seeing as he probably wasn't aware of any of this, but I think it's important to educate not only consumers about the dangers of certain types of cartridges, but also game developers so they can better pick the companies they make deals with and don't take part in this shady business of selling harmful products.
Those kind of issues are not found in repro board that I remember when I was more active on nesdev, right? Why is that so? The component used are different today or they didn't just do the proper research to make their carts?
I think that 5V components are getting harder and harder to find, and some people don't want to spend money doing proper voltage conversion, so they just... don't. It's lack of foresight really, because even though they're saving money now, by helping kill the consoles that are still in use they're obliterating the market.

There are only so many original consoles still in use, if we don't take good care of them, soon there won't be a market for physical retro game releases anymore.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Reviving this dead thread. Here are pictures of the board:
Attachments
IMG_20200721_234530__01.jpg
IMG_20200721_234516.jpg
IMG_20200721_234337.jpg
Ice Man

Post by Ice Man »

They never learn...
Freaking 3V3 ICs without proper regulation..
This is just sad.

SST39SF040 or SST29SF040 is the 5V equivalent and doesn't cost THAT much either.
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

At least they have included through holes so the end user can "fix" the issue with their own flash chip or EEPROM.