Super Luigi Bros.

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

bigjt_2

Super Luigi Bros.

Post by bigjt_2 »

Here is a Super Luigi Bros. like what's found on NES Remix, which scrolls backwards.

I've been working on this about a month, and I think this is as far as I'm taking it for now, possibly forever. Just too much other stuff to move on to. It's only World 1-1 for now. I'd like to maybe finish the whole game someday. For now, if you hack your way into any other levels, you'll find them very buggy. :-)

There's a few outstanding bugs on World 1-1 that I still haven't got hammered out, like sometimes there's some sprite/object clipping and one other thing I can't remember now. But mostly it's up and running.
Attachments
luigi_bros.ips
(26.86 KiB) Downloaded 663 times
Last edited by bigjt_2 on Sat May 10, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rainwarrior

Re: Super Luigi Bros.

Post by rainwarrior »

Wow, ha ha, that feels strange to play.
tepples

Post by tepples »

1. It makes me feel like I've had one too many He-Brews.
2. Mushrooms and stars should go left instead of right.
3. Could you reupload it as an IPS?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I thought the mushrooms still going to the right was intentional. It adds to the awkwardness.

Edit: hmm, I grabbed the star on the very right hand side of the screen, and ended up transported to the left side where I became permanently stuck. Also, if you scroll off a floating score marker, it will wrap around to the left.
bigjt_2

Post by bigjt_2 »

rainwarrior wrote:I thought the mushrooms still going to the right was intentional. It adds to the awkwardness.

Edit: hmm, I grabbed the star on the very right hand side of the screen, and ended up transported to the left side where I became permanently stuck. Also, if you scroll off a floating score marker, it will wrap around to the left.
Yep, that deal where you went from one side to the other is something I've seen, just haven't been able to replicate it too many times and so haven't been successful in debugging it. There's still quite a few bugs and glitches I haven't worked out.
tepples wrote:1. It makes me feel like I've had one too many He-Brews.
2. Mushrooms and stars should go left instead of right.
3. Could you reupload it as an IPS?
Ah, nice catch! I didn't even think about the powerups needing to go the other way. What's an IPS?
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

bigjt_2 wrote:What's an IPS?
It is a "patch" file format that contains the differences between two files. This way you are not uploading a commercial rom, just the bytes you changed. Anyone who has the rom can apply the patch with your changes and get your result, all without sharing the copyrighted file.

LunarIPS will make a patch for you.
bigjt_2

Post by bigjt_2 »

Kasumi wrote:
bigjt_2 wrote:What's an IPS?
It is a "patch" file format that contains the differences between two files. This way you are not uploading a commercial rom, just the bytes you changed. Anyone who has the rom can apply the patch with your changes and get your result, all without sharing the copyrighted file.

LunarIPS will make a patch for you.
And I learn something every day! Thanks Kasumi. And yes, I will absolutely get an IPS version uploaded at some point over the weekend.
bigjt_2

Post by bigjt_2 »

As requested, I have re-uploaded the patch as an IPS. Also went ahead and changed the powerup movement direction.
Kreese

Post by Kreese »

Very good work on this!!!

Hmm. I think the flagpole is too close to the stairs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Os2s3q0ozE

Edit: No it was the same. Felt closer though. :)
nintendo2600

Post by nintendo2600 »

Did this ever see any more completion past 1-1? Would be amazing
to hear it got completed. (Sorry for the necro bump)
tepples

Post by tepples »

This hack inspired how right-to-left levels in The Curse of Possum Hollow chapter 7 work.
nintendo2600

Post by nintendo2600 »

tepples wrote:This hack inspired how right-to-left levels in The Curse of Possum Hollow chapter 7 work.
But as far as recreating the Super Luigi Bros. from the Wii U NES Remix this is as much as was completed?
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I was just hanging out with bigjt_2 a few days ago. I'm almost certain he hasn't worked on it since that release, but I'll ask next time I see him, and will let you know if I hear otherwise. It is a really impressive hack.