NESmaker showcase, January 2019

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeGtake2

NESmaker showcase, January 2019

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Hey all - here is a showcase of some of the games created prior to the most recent version. We are super proud of what our community is doing, and we're happy to report it is really turning on a lot of people to stating to learn ASM to create their own engines as well.

Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cwSvMbazlY
Banshaku

Re: NESmaker showcase, January 2019

Post by Banshaku »

I checked the video and some of them looks nice. It will be interesting to see how far they go in their game and what they will decide to do after (more nesmaker type game, learn asm, etc).
JoeGtake2

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Right? It's really great to see some folks who have never touched programming actually digging into the code since they can sort of organize it and work on it in small chunks at first. A few folks have already started creating their own engines from scratch, a few others have built plug ins and custom ASM to work with the tool, and others are simply modifying scripts and sharing what they've learned on the forums. It's really cool to see. :-)

**Oh - and understand too, there is no "NESmaker type game" either. I REALLY want some seasoned ASM programmer NES devs to try it out to attest to this. You could literally start with ZERO existing code base and completely build from the ground up every last bit of the engine, using NESmaker as a code organizer, pixel editor, screen builder, etc. There are only a few things that the GUI sort of locks you into as far as visually, but hell - you could point MAIN.asm to a single script called "ignoreAllNESmakerStuff.asm" and write an entire game there from scratch. I'm just providing a simple codebase for those with zero knowledge as a way to get started doing some cool things. :-)
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Almost all of these titles -- easily 90% of them -- look incredible. Several look like they could've been released on cartridge back in the late 80s and achieved success or bare minimum a good cult following. Thank you for this compilation!
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I guess my wording was not appropriate and didn't meant to be condescending, sorry about that ^^;;;

I just meant if the user will continue to make game with the tool or decide to just built their own. Since I have never used the tool myself, I can only infer from my current understanding, which is nesmaker seems to be a tool/editor that allows you to make game with little to no asm programming on the nes. It doesn't imply that nesmaker is bad in anyway.
JoeGtake2

Post by JoeGtake2 »

No offense taken! Just trying to let ASM savvy folks here also understand that it’s not JUST for wysiwyg development. Most users are using it as a first step into ASM, and it’s conceivable that someone who knows ASM could use 0% of our code base, develop from scratch, and still use NESmaker as a script organizer and for asset creation. :-)
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

No problem then ;)

I could always try it someday but my current environment mostly consist of ca65 with vscode to write asm/c and uses it on multiple OS so I do not know is nesmaker whould cover in that case. I may check it someday but for now I cannot invest time in it since I'm a little bit busy ^^;;
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

No free eval activation? :roll:
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

JoeGtake2 wrote:I REALLY want some seasoned ASM programmer NES devs to try it out to attest to this.
cpow wrote:No free eval activation? :roll:
I'm not in agreement with the eye rolling (I don't feel I'm entitled to a free evaluation), but as a NES developer, it's true that I'm not very likely to pay $35 just to play with it and try it out.
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Well, I did pay for it and I still haven't tried it out :P
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
JoeGtake2

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Hey, to each their own - it's not for everyone. The single best way to make a NES game will be to start from scratch and start to build, for sure! But...that takes a long time. A long long time. Especially for new comers. And it comes down to a question of how much time is worth. If it takes you even one day to get some sort of tools that can help you manage your work flow...let's say 10 hours...is your time worth $3.60 per hour? Just something to consider when it comes to tools like this.

A lot of folks here already have their flow, for sure. They already have built tools that they're comfortable with. They probably spent years on them, and they're specifically tailored to their uses. If you want to see how this works, we've created hours and hours and hours of tutorial videos, including a handful of "20 minute projects" if you don't have a lot of time to see if you dig it.

In the end, if it's not your thing, no problem at all. But we are very excited about the promise of what we've already seen users do with it already, and I thought their efforts were worth sharing :-)
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

JoeGtake2 wrote:Hey, to each their own - it's not for everyone. The single best way to make a NES game will be to start from scratch and start to build, for sure! But...that takes a long time. A long long time. Especially for new comers. And it comes down to a question of how much time is worth. If it takes you even one day to get some sort of tools that can help you manage your work flow...let's say 10 hours...is your time worth $3.60 per hour? Just something to consider when it comes to tools like this.
The price isn't at all unreasonable as a product, and is really quite fair. But my point is that if you're asking for experienced asm developers to try it out, you're asking for time AND money from them.
JoeGtake2

Post by JoeGtake2 »

Completely reasonable perspective.

I'm also not adverse to offering a handful of seasoned ASM developers with some games under their belt some eval copies to see how they'd use it (and break it). If I found a handful that were up for the experiment and understood the spirit of it, I think that would be fun.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

So there is no trial version, I guess? I was almost sure there was one since you could download the file from the site before the activation code.

I would have been more than happy to test but for now my time is already limited to even work on the current project I'm doing so it would be hard to invest enough time to give a proper feedback ^^;;; I'm not sure if you can mix asm/c and other things with it for a ca65 project?

Is there a video that gives an overview of the tool? I didn't check on the site yet (but will do later) but the one that was shared on twitter yesterday was mostly talking about palette management I think (did a quick scan in the middle of the night out of curiosity but didn't have time to listen to the audio).
tepples

Post by tepples »

JoeGtake2 wrote:I'm also not adverse to offering a handful of seasoned ASM developers with some games under their belt some eval copies to see how they'd use it (and break it). If I found a handful that were up for the experiment and understood the spirit of it, I think that would be fun.
Does this include developers of, say, assembly language audio driver who wish to develop an integration?