It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Nalleland
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:58 pm 

Wow, this was a really cool demo! You've got some really nice game design going on and I like the graphics too.

If I were to give constructive feedback on anything it would be that sometimes it wasn't easy to tell background and walls apart. I first noticed that in the 4th screen.
The music is nice and fits in with the rest of the presentation but it gets a little intense and I'm not sure why. I liked it but I found myself muting it after a few minutes. Maybe the tempo and the drums made it a bit intense, not sure.
My favorite parts were the pin needle game mechanic and all the neat effects like the pausing of time and death animations of nalle and enemies. I'm really impressed you figured out how to do all this stuff on the NES in 6 months!

I noticed both you and Frankengraphics are from Gothenburg, btw. That's cool, so am I. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 pm 

pwnskar wrote:

Thanks! You're not the first to be a bit confused about backgrounds/solids (though I've only really seen the first screen and the top-left one with the background pillars causing troubles before). Everyone seems to get it pretty quickly, so I guess it's not a huge issue, but I might try to do something different with those background tiles. It's hard to differentiate them with color alone with so limited palettes. It's interesting what you said about the music! It's a very short loop, so that probably has something to do with it too, along with the fact I have no idea how to make music :P.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:31 pm 

Nallebeorn wrote:
pwnskar wrote:

Thanks! You're not the first to be a bit confused about backgrounds/solids (though I've only really seen the first screen and the top-left one with the background pillars causing troubles before). Everyone seems to get it pretty quickly, so I guess it's not a huge issue, but I might try to do something different with those background tiles. It's hard to differentiate them with color alone with so limited palettes. It's interesting what you said about the music! It's a very short loop, so that probably has something to do with it too, along with the fact I have no idea how to make music :P.

This is the specific instance on screen #4 that I was unsure about. I think it might be because the background and the wall are the same color or because the background part is so much brighter than the darkest purple of the background. But I mean, it's not a huge issue. It's not like I got stuck or anything.

I think the music is good but if it was up to me, I'd try slowing down the tempo just a bit and ease off a little on the drums, as they become quite dominant IMO. But then again... the tempo might add to the cuteness, so slowing it down might not work, idk.. :P

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 181.74 KiB | Viewed 3926 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:22 am 

pwnskar wrote:
I noticed both you and Frankengraphics are from Gothenburg, btw. That's cool, so am I. :)

You guys all better show up at RSM this year!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:04 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

I'd like to! As usual, i've got work scheduled in another town the same weekend as RSM, and it'd be a significant portion of my income lost that month if i cancel. But if we manage to get the Project Blue campaign out in good time, it might be worth cancelling that gig this year. That's a thin maybe, though. :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:43 am 

Sumez wrote:
pwnskar wrote:

Retrospelsmässan? Can't go on the 4th (Saturday), but maybe I'll attend on Sunday. It could be fun!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:36 am 

Sumez wrote:
pwnskar wrote:

I'm definitely going! Didn't know it had turned into a 2 day event but that sounds cool. :beer:
It would be cool to see some NES homebrew being sold at the event. I don't have anything finished myself yet, otherwise that would've been fun. Now that I think of it, that environment might be a cool place to get some public beta testing if you had a booth set up or managed to share with someone.

For all the non-swedish speaking, retrospelmässan (RSM) is a yearly retro game event in gothenburg with loads of booths for buying games as well as speed run competitions and stuff.

Nallebeorn, I bet you could get someone exhibiting there have your demo of Nalleland running! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:28 am 

The last few years I've been going there I've been thinking "next year I'll be able to come back with an actual NES game to show off". Hasn't happened yet.

Would be fun to get together for a single dedicated homebrew stand at one point. I haven't seen a lot of that the other years, if at all (just a subtle sales booth doing some distro for Watermelon)
(sorry for running off-topic)