Famicom Network Controller (HVC-051) test ROM commission?

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

astro187

Famicom Network Controller (HVC-051) test ROM commission?

Post by astro187 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:01 pm

I recently picked up an interesting Famicom controller with a number pad on it. I am hoping to test all of the buttons with a test ROM on my AVS (I don't have a Famicom), but it doesn't look like there has been anything specifically developed for it that I can find. The details of how it is polled have already been worked out and posted online (https://www.raphnet.net/divers/famicom_ ... dex_en.php) so it might be somewhat trivial to just adapt one of the existing controller test ROMs. Is anyone interested in taking on this project, perhaps for a nominal bounty? I'm not looking for anything fancy... just something that could display which key is being pressed for all of the keys on the pad. Thanks for any help anyone can provide on this!

lidnariq

Re: Famicom Network Controller (HVC-051) test ROM commission?

Post by lidnariq » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:05 pm

Since the report is only 22 to 25 bits long, it looks like you should be able to use my trivial controller test ROM:
viewtopic.php?p=106954#p106954

astro187

Post by astro187 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:18 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:05 pm
Since the report is only 22 to 25 bits long, it looks like you should be able to use my trivial controller test ROM:
viewtopic.php?p=106954#p106954
I tried it, but none of the number keys or special characters registered... only the "normal" buttons registered. I wonder if it has to do with the way the AVS handles the extension port?

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:28 pm

Doesn't the AVS have an integrated Four player adapter? Can you turn it off?

astro187

Post by astro187 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:32 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:28 pm
Doesn't the AVS have an integrated Four player adapter? Can you turn it off?
Wow... well done! That was indeed the issue. I didn't even realize this was an option that could be turned off because it has never caused me an issue before. I suppose I've never used the Zapper or any terribly exotic controllers with my AVS before.

So yes, your program did indeed show me that all of the buttons function normally (except, oddly, the A button does not register anything for any of the controllers I tired... even the normal first-party controllers). I wonder how difficult it would be to tailor it to show letters and numbers corresponding to the HVC-051 buttons instead of dots... but I guess the truth is out there. Looking at your source was my first glance at ASM and it looked totally foreign compared to the languages I am used to :shock:

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:50 pm

Would you be willing to take a picture of both sides of the PCB inside the controller, and/or describe what's on screen when you press buttons? Based on Raphnet's desciption, it sounds like one row (probably the second row of one of the two sets?) should just have a series of dots for each button, but I'm curious especially about the last (rightmost) 10 bits.

As far as the A button not working, I have no idea why that would be broken. I'm not even doing anything particularly odd. Did the A button work correctly when Four Player mode was still enabled? You might have found a bug in the AVS if so.

There are very few controllers that will pose a problem to the Four Score. Your controller, along with people who plug SNES controllers into a NES, might be the only one that has more than an 8-bit report (and thus be incompatible with a Four Score).

astro187

Post by astro187 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:14 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:50 pm
Would you be willing to take a picture of both sides of the PCB inside the controller, and/or describe what's on screen when you press buttons? Based on Raphnet's desciption, it sounds like one row (probably the second row of one of the two sets?) should just have a series of dots for each button, but I'm curious especially about the last (rightmost) 10 bits.
Ok, so I took some notes on the button presses and below is what I found (I'll refer to the dots by their row and column (C))

setup: AVS; 4 score option turned off; Everdrive N8

first I did a test with a basic first party controller in P1:
all dots were in row 1
C8-C31 where always on as soon as I plugged in the controller
A: nothing
C1-C7 corresponded to (respectively): B, Select, Start, Dpad up, Dpad down, Dpad left, Dpad right

For the HVC-051 plugged into the AVS expansion port:
all dots were in row 2
C24-C31 were always on as soon as I plugged in the controller
A: nothing
as with the first party controller, C1-C7 corresponded to (respectively): B, Select, Start, Dpad up, Dpad down, Dpad left, Dpad right
C8-C21 corresponded to (respectively): 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, *, #, . , "C"
C22 seemed to be usused
C23 corresponded to the "end of transmission" button in the upper-right of the controller.

Let me know if I can gather any more information that could be useful!

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:45 pm

I can't think of anything else - Thank you!

Ben Boldt

Post by Ben Boldt » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:45 pm

Just noticed this thread -- attaching photos of my PCB.
Attachments
front.jpg
back.jpg