Mega Man 9 remade into an NES ROM

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaydus the Dragon

Mega Man 9 remade into an NES ROM

Post by Kaydus the Dragon » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Hello NESDev forums!

Ever since Mega Man 9 came out, I always wanted to have the game as a legitimate NES ROM. This dream was further fueled by the MM9 press kit.

I’m aware many people have attempted this same project over the years, but no one has followed through and finished. While I’m aware of several Mega Man and Rockman NES hacks that use MM9 and 10 assets, I’d rather create a custom engine that accurately recreates Mega Man’s physics and general engine as opposed to hacking an existing ROM.

I’m doing level design for this project. Currently we are looking for programmers and generally anyone who may be interested in lending a helping hand.

Invite link provided at the bottom of this post.

Frequently asked questions:

Q: Is this legal?
A: This is a fanmade labor of love that does not intend to infringe upon any distribution or sale of the original Mega Man 9. This recreation is intended to serve as a fun ‘what-if’ project.

Q. Is this a ROM hack?
A: No. While hacking an existing game would be undoubtedly much easier, it would not allow for flexibility of mechanics such as Mega Man’s physics. Additionally, hacking a ROM would cheapen the feel of this project as less of brand new game and more of an extensive hack of MM4, for example.

Q: What version is this game based off of? Will any DLC be ported?
A: This will be based off the Wii version. None of the DLC will be remade. The music however will be based off the PS3 version.

Q: What do you intend to do once this project is finished? Will you remake MM10?
A: Eventually. For now MM9 is our priority and will do MM10 when we feel it’s time.

Q: What other places have you advertised at?
A: The now-defunct Assemblergames, r/Megaman, r/gamedev

Q: Will the game use a battery or password to save progress?
A: We’re not sure. While we are leaning towards inclusion of the shop mechanic from the original game, this would require a much larger password grid. (I.e. variables for bolt quantity in the player’s possession and items purchased) The game will most likely use battery saves for this reason.

Link to our Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SrSwpuS
Please use Nadeko to assign yourself roles upon entering in the #bot-talk channel. .iam Spriter .iam Programmer .iam Musician

FrankWDoom

Re: Mega Man 9 remade into an NES ROM

Post by FrankWDoom » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Kaydus the Dragon wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:55 pm
Q: Is this legal?
A: This is a fanmade labor of love that does not intend to infringe upon any distribution or sale of the original Mega Man 9. This recreation is intended to serve as a fun ‘what-if’ project. No.
Not that i care but none of your answer matters. If you hope to see it through you might want to keep it quiet until you're done. Good luck.

strat

Post by strat » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:15 pm

I distinctly remember someone here made a MM9 NES demo that had map scrolling (but no gameplay). It would be interesting to see how the swinging platforms in Jewel Man's stage would work without miserable flickering (maybe a mapper IRQ?).

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:09 am

You're very likely going to recieve a C&D letter. The only way around is skimming the projet under the radar until completed (seems it's too late now...), and even then, the distribution of the finished project might be hindered.

Remember the Chrono Trigger 3D remake. If you're going to do some major game development effort you'd rather want to do something that's not going to be shut down.

I never played MM9 or MM10 so I don't know how those games are exactly. However I'd recommand for now focusing on doing a tech-demo for the parts that are the most likely to be problematic to fit on NES hardware, such as those featuring huge animated objects. After all that's the most interesting part, the rest is nothing new. And that could be done without getting too much attention from Nintendo.

bngrybt

Post by bngrybt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:43 am

If you're interested in making a Mega Man game, why not create something heavily Mega Man-inspired instead? You avoid all the legal hurdles, and if the game is successful you could even turn a profit from selling it with no legal ramifications whatsoever. If you build up some cred as a developer, you could even try pitching a NES port of the game to Capcom. Stranger things have happened. They gave SF x Mega Man their blessing a few years back, and developing NES games using licensed IP is becoming more realistic these days.

nesrocks

Post by nesrocks » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:06 am

Banshaku and Macbee are working on such a project. Why not join efforts instead?
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!

calima

Post by calima » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:09 am

Giga Woman 9 :lol:

Banshaku

Post by Banshaku » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:28 am

Like Nesrock said (and you are aware of it too), I have been working on it until last year but due to some personal events, I'm not able to put as much time as before and had to put it on hold. This doesn't mean the project is dropped, just that I cannot work on it as much as I did.

The intro is finished, menu are there, you can go on the map of Concrete Man almost until the end. I had some bugs with cc65 which caused some issues in mm9/John Wick but it may have been resolved since then (seems to work now).

Since I started that project around when mm9 came out, I guess I never been in a rush to finish it and will soon have taken as long as duke nuken forever :lol:

edit:

@strat,

I don't think I would plan to make the Jewel Man stage. Like you mentioned, it would be quite a flickering mess.

Bananmos

Post by Bananmos » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:36 am

As others have said, tread carefully. While Capcom have been surprisingly receptive in SF2 vs Megaman, it's dangerous to assume goodwill won't kill a fan project.
I don't think I would plan to make the Jewel Man stage. Like you mentioned, it would be quite a flickering mess.
That said, about I couldn't help looking at an MM9 gameplay video now to see if it's actually impossible to pull off on a NES... and seeing those swinging platforms are all against a black background, they look doable as a combination of BG+sprites. I can think of the following programming/artistic tricks:

Most of the platform can be devised as a set of horizontal lines, with a few sprite overlays on to hide the horizontal-lineliness.
You can then replicate your CHR vertically and "pseudo-scroll" it vertically using CHR bank-switching, as seen in pseudo-parallax games. And if you are using 1kB bankswitching for BG, you could even use 2 banks to Y-scroll two neighbouring platforms, making sure to blank out the pseudo-scrolling BG tiles vertically at the top / bottom of a platform, by setting the CHR bank to an all-BG0 CHR area.

You would still need at least two sprites at the edges of the platform to hide nametable updates horizontally - or more likely four in order to get the decorative elements on the sides.
The decorative part in the middle might have to be dropped and blamed on "artistic freedom" to keep the per-platform sprite count below four sprites... or you could go way overboard with more complicated pseudo-scrolling setup and waste even more CHR. (if you've got space before the next power-of-two-roundup, no reason not to use it)

Obviously, you'd have to share a palette between BG / sprites to pull this off, which might compromise the look of the level somewhat. But I think the effect is doable with clever MMC3 IRQ-driven bankswitching, without excessive flicker.

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:19 am

What's the poitn of making a port/demo if it skips the problematic areas ? In my opinion the "problamatic areas" are the only part who are interesting to port on the NES... the rest would basically just be copy/past work and would be totally ininteresting.

Many part of actual NES Mega Man games were actually a flickering mess, such as the epic fight against the flying dragon in Dr.Wily stage 1 in Mega Man 2.

So I just looked the Jewel Mage stage on Youtube, and it seems those platform could either be a flickering mess or be done with CHR-ROM animation, which can be easily done provided you have the ROM size. The game seems largely based on MM2 in particular (same music and sound effects) and have discarded the advances made in MM3-6 (sliding, Mega Buster, better graphics), so it should more be called Mega Man 2.5 than Mega Man 9...

Banshaku

Post by Banshaku » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:11 pm

Bregalad wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:19 am
What's the poitn of making a port/demo if it skips the problematic areas ? In my opinion the "problamatic areas" are the only part who are interesting to port on the NES... the rest would basically just be copy/past work and would be totally ininteresting.
Because my goal as never been to port the complete game and make a proof of concept of the concrete man stage, like the demo shown on the ps3 in 2009, like it has been my goal since the beginning? Still, once you have an engine working, nothing stop you to try other stages too but for now we will see when the time will come.

@Bananmos

Yes, you never know how Capcom would react to it, especially you remake the complete game, but for now nobody reacted to the video posted on twitter. Still, like mentioned above, my goal is not to make the complete game for now since I only wanted to reproduce the demo and add the boss, since that part not available and I always hated that :lol: The other goal was to build some base for a game engine but it seems I didn't reach that goal yet, hopefully someday.

kuja killer

Post by kuja killer » Fri May 01, 2020 7:09 pm

https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index. ... ic=16882.0

take a look here if interested. this was obviously abandonded/cancelled...

This is also interesting... the mediafire link says this:

Well, looks like we can’t go any further
The file you requested has been removed from MediaFire for a violation of our Terms of Service.

This file has been taken down on 2020-02-03 by:
File Name: Mega_Man_9_3_-8-31-2013.ips (94.31 KB)
Company: Entertainment Software Association
----------------
who or what is this "enertainment software association" ?? i've never heard of that name before... it's not capcom apparently.