Untitled Deckbuilding Game Homebrew

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Trystanosaurus

Untitled Deckbuilding Game Homebrew

Post by Trystanosaurus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:31 am

Over the past few weeks I've been playing around with 6502 and have made the first playable version of a simple deck building game (think Slay the Spire).
Main game screen
Main game screen
Cards_001.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
Deck view screen
Deck view screen
Cards_000.png (1.94 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
In the game you (a plucky kobold) face a series of monsters (at the moment all palette swapped slimes), each tougher than the last and try to kill as many as you can to get a high score. Your health and the monsters are shown above your heads and the monsters have their attack damage to their right. The damage your cards will do to the monster is in the top left of each card.

Each turn you get one play (play cards with A) before the monster attacks you. However at the bottom of each card are up to four coloured squares, after playing a card you can play more cards if their colour matches one of these squares, so with clever linking you can play your whole hand in one turn.

After defeating a monster you get to choose a new card to add to your deck. Some cards are instant effects (marked with a lightning bolt) and instead of going into your deck just do something instantly. The only one in game at the moment is a big heal as I mainly wanted to get the game logic in to make instant cards possible.

At any point in the game you can view your whole deck by pressing start (start returns you to the normal screen) and in both the normal game window and the deck view you can check special abilities with select (select again to close the help window).

If you have 9 or more cards in your deck you will be given the option to remove a card from your deck as an upgrade (the RC card), this takes you to the deck screen, choose a card with A to remove it.

So far the game has no sound at all because I haven't gotten as far as reading up about the APU!

I developed the game with sublime text, ASM6n and MESEN, though I've also done some tests in FCEUX and Nestopia (which seemed to work).

It's far from well coded but I think most of the core functionality I wanted is in place and I'm quite happy with how it's turned out. There's a fair bit of extra chrome planned but I wanted to keep this core game simple since it's my first NES project. Feel free to give it a go and let me know what you think!
Attachments
Cards.nes
Card game thing!
(40.02 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by Trystanosaurus on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzo38

Re: Untitled Deckbuilding Game Homebrew

Post by zzo38 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:21 pm

It look a good idea, but the game doesn't last long enough. I have some suggestions:
  • Display the level number on the screen, incremented after each opponent defeated. (This does not affect the rules of the game; just, you might want to keep track of it.)
  • Healing instant cards are more than 4 after a few plays; initally they are 4.
  • Possibly, starting with more hit points.
  • Bonus points for excess damage, perhaps one fiftieth of a point each (although you still cannot play more cards after opponent is defeated).
  • Add money (which may be earned both by instants and by normal cards, and probably also 1 per defeated opponent). When you can pick the card to add, you may also optionally spend money to buy a second card from a second menu; if you do, you still get the card from the first menu, too.
  • Avoid duplicate cards in a single use of the add cards menu; always display three different cards.
  • More instant cards, additionally to healing, such as score and money.
  • Add a high score menu.
  • Add music.
I don't know if what I wrote is so good, although there are some problems with the current implementation; there may be other ways to fix it too, possibly, I don't know.
[url=gopher://zzo38computer.org/].[/url]

Trystanosaurus

Post by Trystanosaurus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:32 am

Thanks for the feedback. I do have plans to expand the game at some point though for now I've been focusing on learning 6502 and the NES hardware.

My plan would be that there are weak enemies that gave weak upgrades at the start and as you went through you'd fight tougher enemies who gave better upgrades.

Getting money that you could use to buy more cards is a very interesting idea which I might have to look into, though probably my next step would be to look into the APU and try and figure out how to add sound. Luckily the documentation around for the NES is amazing so I should be able to work out how to add sound/music.

Erockbrox

Post by Erockbrox » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:44 pm

I honestly thought for a second that it was a game about building a deck on the patio of a house.

dink

Post by dink » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:51 pm

Erockbrox wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:44 pm
I honestly thought for a second that it was a game about building a deck on the patio of a house.
I was sorta looking forward to seeing that as well. sad. :(

norill

Post by norill » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:59 pm

i would make the selection automatically go to the next remaining card after u play a card. also add keeping track of the high score

Trystanosaurus

Post by Trystanosaurus » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:26 am

Thanks for the feedback, a high score board would certainly be fun, though I'd need to get around to reading up on mappers to use one with some RAM. I toyed with the idea of automatically moving to the next playable card but didn't know if it would feel more or less jarring.

Now that I'm back at work I've not had much time to toy with the game, I had added in two new instant card types, one that gives you some score but nothing else and one that damages the next monster, so it starts with less health. These two new card types make it less likely you'll get an upgrade screen with only healing instants. I think I also messed around with some of the timings so there was a bit more of a gap between turns. I've updated the link in the first post with the new version.

Realistically I'm probably not going to do tons more to this game, it was a lot of fun as a first dive into ASM though and I was very happy with how far I got in just a few weeks. I'm keen to get into something more when I next get the chance, after looking around I might try my hand at the GameBoy Color, it's still 8 bit but just has a bit more oomph when it comes to choosing/displaying colours, and the possibilities with a reliable line counter and HDMA seem pretty interesting.