I want to make a Mega Man game for the NES

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

IRSUP2a03

I want to make a Mega Man game for the NES

Post by IRSUP2a03 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:47 pm

I want to make a Mega Man game for the NES, I already made some music and some sprites, but I don't know how the MM engine works. I want this game's physics to be similar to MM2, but with sliding and charging. I also would like the game to not rely on passwords, but instead a battery save.
Where do I start?
I'M A DUDE! - Ed

aiko1125

Re: I want to make a Mega Man game for the NES

Post by aiko1125 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:02 pm

You could always start by making a ROM hack, but judging by your ambitions, it might not be exactly what you want in the end.
My scheme for world domination has faild!

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:48 pm

I think that the Mega Man games have been fairly well reverse engineered at this point, and I remember reading detailed descriptions of how the maps and physics work. Unfortunately I don't have any links, but if I ran into it once it can't be that hard to find.

Where to start really depends on your experience with coding in general and with assembly and the NES hardware in specific. If your goal is to learn how to code with this project, then a Mega Man game might be a tall order... If you already have solid coding experience in high level languages, then you could just follow an NES tutorial (like Nerdy Nights) to get the hang of how things work in 8-bit assembly land.

IRSUP2a03

Post by IRSUP2a03 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:00 pm

tokumaru wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:48 pm
I think that the Mega Man games have been fairly well reverse engineered at this point, and I remember reading detailed descriptions of how the maps and physics work. Unfortunately I don't have any links, but if I ran into it once it can't be that hard to find.

Where to start really depends on your experience with coding in general and with assembly and the NES hardware in specific. If your goal is to learn how to code with this project, then a Mega Man game might be a tall order... If you already have solid coding experience in high level languages, then you could just follow an NES tutorial (like Nerdy Nights) to get the hang of how things work in 8-bit assembly land.
I will look into that.
aiko1125 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:02 pm
You could always start by making a ROM hack, but judging by your ambitions, it might not be exactly what you want in the end.
If I were learning how to code on the NES, that is what I would start with. But I'm not, so that idea's been thrown out the window.
I'M A DUDE! - Ed

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:14 pm

This page has a lot of information about the physics: http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/ ... /Data.html

IRSUP2a03

Post by IRSUP2a03 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks!
I'M A DUDE! - Ed

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:08 am

I'm guessing you already know about it, but if not, there is:

https://megamanmaker.com/

IRSUP2a03

Post by IRSUP2a03 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:17 pm

Funny that you mention that, I am actually using it as a test bed for level design.
I'M A DUDE! - Ed