Adding a battery to snrom board

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Nesmodder82

Adding a battery to snrom board

Post by Nesmodder82 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:41 am

Hi I've been tinkering with nes programming and I need to know if it's possible to add a battery to an snrom board that doesn't have one to start. I tried but it won't save. I see slots for capacitors, diodes and resistors but I'm not sure what values they need. I'm playing around with metroid trying to make a save function (yes I know some one already did that) I'm just doing this as a way to learn. But my donor board is a snrom board from the game Spot which does not have a battery. It saves but It erased as soon as I turn off the machine. I've added a battery but nothing else. Is there a way to do this? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Quietust

Re: Adding a battery to snrom board

Post by Quietust » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:41 pm

As noted on the wik, you not only need to populate the battery, the diodes D1+D2 (of the proper types and in the right direction), and the resistors R1+R2+R3 (which seem to be 10K / 1K / 26K on all the boards I checked on NesCartDB), but you also need to make sure that the "SL" solder pad is open (i.e. if there's a large blob of solder on it, you'll need to remove it).
Last edited by Quietust on Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.

Nesmodder82

Re: Adding a battery to snrom board

Post by Nesmodder82 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Thank you! :beer: :D It worked like a charm very cool!