It is currently Tue May 30, 2017 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:11 pm 

Pretty nice indeed. I hope my game will have a playable beta. All I can offer are screenshots...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:28 am 

Works on a Powerpak. Strangely silent. Pressing reset gets NTSC warning sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:39 am 

Who wrote the "Snake 2" homebrew and where is the website for it? I'd like to give it a spin.

I still need to order the Frogger port cart from RetroUSB too...that's high on my list, although I'd rather have it as a bright green Famicom cart. :-)

Maybe I'll order one, dump it, burn the ROMs to a Famicom cart and have some fun with that. (No, I won't be selling them.) I wonder what FC cart it'd be compatible with in order to ensure success...

I'd like to see an Asteroids or Tempest or even a Lunar Lander homebrew...with arcade-style emulated vector graphics of course. Those would be brill!

Has anybody considered giving any of those classics a try?

-Xious

Celius wrote:
Bregalad wrote:
NotTheCommonDose wrote:
The best home brew I ever played, exceptional work.

Have you ever played NES Snake 2 or Solar Wars ?

I was just going to mention that NES Snake 2 is up there. I haven't played too much of Solar Wars. I love the sound in NES Snake 2.

But this I think is a great remake! The game handles a lot better than the original (Maybe since I'm not using a really annoying joystick). I hope you're planning to put sound in. This would be a much more enjoyable experience with music.

Post subject: Re: Pitfall!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:33 am 

Very nice.

Are you thinking of polishing the game to make it more NES-like and less 2600-like so that we have a proper Pitfall for the NES?

That would be so awesome, as Pitfall was one of my favourites on ther 2600 and "Super Pitfall" for the NES was a real let-down...!

-Xious

never-obsolete wrote:
here is a beta of the game (ntsc). there is no sound.

i don't have a chip programmer so if someone could test it on actual hardware i would greatly appreciate it (mmc1).

controls for level editor:

up, down: move cursor around current menu
left, right: move cursor from menu to menu
sel, start: cycle through scenes
A: enter

feedback would also be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:31 am 

Xious wrote:
Are you thinking of polishing the game to make it more NES-like and less 2600-like so that we have a proper Pitfall for the NES?

Pitfall is not an NES game.

And Activision probably wants to keep it that way. Given what the company has been doing lately to fan games like The Silver Lining, what makes you think they won't do the same thing to an NES port of Pitfall! ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:35 am 

Coincidently, I started working on this again last week to get a break from my main project. Right now I'm cleaning up all the code and and condensing it to NROM. There will be an MMC1 version, but the only difference is that it'll backup the custom level data and score tables to SRAM.

In the past I tried to recruit someone for the music/soundfx, but for whatever reason, nothing ever came of it. Though if anyone is interested, drop me a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:44 am 

All I get is a 404 when I try to DL the beta

Last edited by nintendo2600 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:32 am 

tepples wrote:
Xious wrote:

Pitfall is not an NES game.

And Activision probably wants to keep it that way. Given what the company has been doing lately to fan games like The Silver Lining, what makes you think they won't do the same thing to an NES port of Pitfall! ?

Right, 'Super Pitfall' is what they released for the NES. What I'm saying is that it would be nice to have a full port of Pitfall for the NES with updated graphics and sound.

What about the Frogger NES port that's on RetroUSB.com? SEGA owns the rights to Frogger, and they haven't sued the pants off of the guy who did the homebrew, even though it's an almost identical game. As long as he doesn’t use any code from Pitfall to write his game and names it something different, Activision's case will be merely air if they choose to take any action at all.

Pitfall isn't the only game of its style ever made; it’s just the best of them for the 2600. Where is the infringement in writing a new game that plays like the Atari version of Pitfall with completely new graphics and ASM?

-Xious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:43 am 

Xious wrote:
What about the Frogger NES port that's on RetroUSB.com?

Konami probably just doesn't know about it yet. Recall that it took a while for Konami to find out about In the Groove. Notice the repro of a Super Mario Bros. + Rad Racer + Tetris multicart for $55 on RetroUSB.com; that's probably up there only because Nintendo, Square Enix, and Tetris Co. don't know about it yet.

Quote:
As long as he doesn’t use any code from Pitfall to write his game and names it something different

Name it something different, replace the graphics, and make new levels, and you have "yet another platformer that would appeal to Pitfall! fans," not that it's a bad thing. But the association of a genre with one famous title isn't quite as strong with scrolling or edge-flipping games as it is with single-screen games like Donkey Kong or Pac-Man or Missile Command or Tetris.

Quote:
Pitfall isn't the only game of its style ever made; it’s just the best of them for the 2600. Where is the infringement in writing a new game that plays like the Atari version of Pitfall with completely new graphics and ASM?

The problem occurs when either patents apply (true for In the Groove, not true for a Pitfall clone) or the "completely new graphics" aren't new enough and aren't "scenes a faire". As I understand it, the court decided Atari v. Philips in favor of Namco and Atari because the Munchkin character wasn't different enough from Pac-Man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:09 am 

Quote:
All I get is a 404 when I try to DL the beta. Is it posted anywhere else to try out?

Pitfall!

I have a newer version that was never released that I'll post when I get home. Nothing major, animations are smoother (somewhat), level data can be sent to the cart via a 232 cable (thanks Memblers), and a few other minor things.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:45 am 

I (finally) updated the first post with version 0.92.3.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:53 am 

In the original game, when leaving the vine I'm pretty sure it never leaves to the wrong direction. Never tested exactly the rules of leaving a vine, but when I want to get to the other side of the lake it goes to the other side of the lake, not towards it.

Very interesting project though and nicely done. Having it play like the original would be great.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:14 am 

Are you supposed to be able to get off of ladders by jumping to the right? Only left seems to work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:11 pm 

Updated first post with version 0.93.0, source code included.