It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:35 pm 

http://www.nintendoage.com/media/_userm ... emo1%2Ezip

Hope the link works okay. Have fun, folks. You can check out the first area and first boss. The game will reset after beating the boss.

I also am aware of the game over screen not showing passwords or allowing you to pick end.

Last edited by Sivak on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 pm 

The game is very nice, congratulations! I suck too much at this kind of game (and in most others, to tell the truth), and barely managed to get to the boss. There is no way I'm killing it! =)

Sometimes it felt like the traps were a bit too cheap, so I used an occasional save state or I'd end up kicking my PC, but I guess this is just me. The challenge level is probably good for most players, who are usually more skilled than I am.

Something that bothered me a little was the quick switching of screens when I accidentally went past the top of the screen when jumping, or when I was trying to see where I could land on the next screen up. That made me somewhat dizzy for some reason, but again, maybe this is just me.

I'm quite impressed. The graphics are simple but extremely well done, the physics is easy to get used to, and the music is also nice. It was fun to play the first level. Congratulations again! I hope you can inspire people here to finish their projects as well (including me!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:44 am 

Wow, took me quite a few tries to get through. The boss didn't seem that hard at first, but I kept making stupid mistakes. I second what tokumaru said, though. Played it on my PAL NES - lots of fun! The controls, graphics and music are pretty solid.

However, collision detection seemed a bit on the unforgiving side. I took a few screenshots in FCEU:

In all of these cases my instincts were clearly saying: "It should work, you won't die!"

Last edited by miau on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:19 am 

The farthest I can go without dying is like 5 screens. Remember me Ghost & Goblins. I definitely don't like it, and not because it stops after the first boss.
The graphics are quite good tough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:47 am 
Formerly Fx3

- It's a masterpiece, really. My congrats! ^_^;;

1. The kid cannot touch any enemy, or he dies... much like Mega Man Zero system. Could you add some hit points system, perhaps like DuckTales does?

2. I would tweak the gravity a little, but it's not bad, really. ^_^;;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:08 am 

miau wrote:
However, collision detection seemed a bit on the unforgiving side. I took a few screenshots in FCEU:
In all of these cases my instincts were clearly saying: "It should work, you won't die!"

Hey there. I'll address the points.
-I'm guessing you're rushing for the vertical ball. Patience!
-That one I've known about. I may extend it to 2 spaces.
-I'll consider removing that. That does kinda seem like a silly spike the more I look at it. BTW, the image you linked is supposed to end with -2 and not -3.

Fx3 wrote:
1. The kid cannot touch any enemy, or he dies... much like Mega Man Zero system. Could you add some hit points system, perhaps like DuckTales does?

-The one hit deal was part of the design... Very much out of IWBTG... I know some peeps don't go for it, but it's how it is. Adding hits would require a big design change.
-Do you mean the low jumping? You obtain a high jump item after the first boss.

I've gone ahead and prepared up a newer rom. Hope this one feels better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:51 am 

Sivak wrote:
miau wrote:

Hey there. I'll address the points.
-I'm guessing you're rushing for the vertical ball. Patience!
-That one I've known about. I may extend it to 2 spaces.
-I'll consider removing that. That does kinda seem like a silly spike the more I look at it. BTW, the image you linked is supposed to end with -2 and not -3.

Well, I can't think of any other good game that has such strict collision detection. Imo at the high speed the character moves horizontally I can imagine myself and other less skilled players with shaky hands to bump into things quite often so a smaller hitbox might help, at least that's what other games seem to do. On the screenshots you can see I'm not even visually touching the spikes/enemy and still die. If it's like that in IWBTG, though, and you want your controls to feel the same, it's okay, I guess. The game seems to be more about minute control than others I've played.

Sivak wrote:
Fx3 wrote:

-The one hit deal was part of the design... Very much out of IWBTG... I know some peeps don't go for it, but it's how it is. Adding hits would require a big design change.
-Do you mean the low jumping? You obtain a high jump item after the first boss.

I like the challenge. If you get continue points and passwords every few screens it seems alright to me... Not any harder than some of the classics games.
It's probably not a game you will finish in one sitting the first time you play it, but the graphics, music and gameplay will make you pick it up again. At least that's how I see it.
However, if the other levels and bosses get much harder, I might destroy a few nes controllers in the process of beating the game. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:55 am 

I found it to be a pleasent expirience and I don't really have to complain about anything. Except for this damn room with the two one-eyed bats. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:05 am 

miau wrote:
I like the challenge. If you get continue points and passwords every few screens it seems alright to me... Not any harder than some of the classics games.
It's probably not a game you will finish in one sitting the first time you play it, but the graphics, music and gameplay will make you pick it up again. At least that's how I see it.
However, if the other levels and bosses get much harder, I might destroy a few nes controllers in the process of beating the game. ;)

Well, you do indeed get the continue rooms around every 9-12 screens. It obviously varies... But I believe they are spaced out fairly. Passwords are available for Easy and Normal difficulties.

The easy difficulty gives you the damage amp item, which doubles your attack power. Really helps with bosses. You can find this item on other difficulties as well, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:29 pm 

Quote:
Well, I can't think of any other good game that has such strict collision detection. Imo at the high speed the character moves horizontally I can imagine myself and other less skilled players with shaky hands to bump into things quite often so a smaller hitbox might help, at least that's what other games seem to do. On the screenshots you can see I'm not even visually touching the spikes/enemy and still die.

This also happens in Mega Man 1.
Quote:

I disagreee. A lot of classic games are hard but I can't remember any classics game where I couldn't beat the stage 1 without savestates, let alone the first part of stage 1. If you consider Ghost & Goblins an classic then threre is one expetion.
A good game should have a learning curve in my opinion. Altough I couldn't care less cause it's not my game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:54 pm 

Congratulations, Sivak. I really enjoy it, the graphics, gameplay and music are really good. Very challenging, just like I like it =D. This is indeed very inspiring to see a game like this getting finished. Thank you for sharing your creation with us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:55 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
If you consider Ghost & Goblins an classic then threre is one expetion.

It is a classic, but it's an arcade game, and those have to be hard in order to get money out of the kiddies.

About games like Sivak's, I just don't have the patience to go through all these rooms in order to get to a particular room that's giving me problems so that I can test all possible ways to get through it. Going through the same rooms over and over again really gets on my nerves, even though I know this is probably how you master going through them. I don't like large doses of repetition, so it was pretty entertaining once I started using save states for certain rooms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:40 pm 

tokumaru wrote:
Bregalad wrote:
If you consider Ghost & Goblins an classic then threre is one expetion.

It is a classic, but it's an arcade game, and those have to be hard in order to get money out of the kiddies.

But if the kiddies are shunning a game for being too difficult, the administrator needs to flip DIP switches to make it easier. For example, Qix lets the administrator change the minimum fenced-off area to clear a field, and Dance Dance Revolution games let the administrator change the rate at which "miss" judgments deplete health.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:50 am 

Pretty exciting to finally play it.

Luv:

level design - have a thing for intricate corridors

control - with so many commercial NES games having questionable design choices, this is worth a compliment. It's playable even on a keyboard.

overall aesthetic - I can't think of another NES game that tried this format (except Legacy of the Wizard and even that had scrolling) and it's exactly the kind of game it was made for

Do you plan a speed power up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:20 am 

Thanks for the comments, start.

strat wrote:
Do you plan a speed power up?

Uh, nah. I already have the items made. They are:
High Jump: It is what it says
Feather fall: Hold up to drop slower
Infinite O2: Breathe underwater forever
Double jump: Self-explained
One hidden item: Hm hm hm? 8)

There are also keys which are item pickups and they let you destroy the numbered blocks. A few #1 blocks are seen in the demo.