It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:12 pm 

I was asking because I'd like to outrun the snail instead of having to jump over its shots and fire back (i.e. the one before the boss).

Oh, it takes me 15 minutes to beat the demo without save states. Given that, can you estimate how long the game will be? Maybe 90 minutes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:54 am 

I managed to finish the demo but I did end up using a few save states to save on some repeating of a few later screens. Very nice game though it seems to lack much mercy. Even less mercy than Battletoads had.

Great work though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:50 pm 
NESICIDE developer

MottZilla wrote:
I managed to finish the demo but I did end up using a few save states to save on some repeating of a few later screens. Very nice game though it seems to lack much mercy. Even less mercy than Battletoads had.

Great work though.

It does seem very polished and possibly fun but I haven't yet figured out how to get past even the first set of baddies on the third screen. Too hard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:13 am 

oh nice. have to try when I get home. is it PAL/powerpak friendly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:49 am 

It probably is but will run slower than intended like running any NTSC game on a PAL system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:01 am 

Nice graphics, catchy music and smooth gameplay. My thumb goes up for what's probably the best homebrew NES game yet!

Not having a life meter is wicked. But on the other hand, continue points are plentiful so it evens out. I beat it in about 20 minutes I think. But I suspect the full game will be much harder the further you make it through...

The boss was a bit frustrating though and would have been better with half as many hits needed, since IMHO the point should just be to prove you can learn to dodge the attack pattern skillfully - not prove that you can repeat it forever and ever without making a single mistake.

Looking forward to the full version! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:00 pm 

I don't read nesdev for 2-3 days and this came out. I will give it a try soon.

edit:

I was able to test it a little bit during lunch time. Playing it with a small portable keyboard made it harder for sure. Since I saw the videos long time ago, I knew how to react at the beginning. But later I didn't know the enemy location so when I jumped after defeating the second pink ball, I ended up on one.

It's really in the spirit of Iwtbtg for sure. The game by itself is good but will requires a lot of memorization. I don't know how much patience I will have for this since it's a one shot instead death. For Mega man 9, it was less an issue since as long as I don't fall in a pit/spikes, I still had hope to continue. Now if you do a "leap of faith" from one screen you never saw, you could die right away.

I will see if I can finish it tonight. With a gamepad it should make the experience smoother. I won't be able to play the final version on my famicom unless I can find an adapter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:45 am 

Actually from what I've seen he does a good job of not having leaps-of-faith. I didn't get far in this game but I noticed in the videos, on the screens with the spikes that flash in and out, there's a good buffer zone or a block to run into so you won't hit the spikes immediately.

Right now it seems easier than iwtbtg because there are not a lot of completely unexpected left-field deaths, just obvious stuff that you could've done better. At the same time I must say, sorry for my strong opinion, but I can't stand the gameplay and would probably not even play this for free because as others have said it relies so much on memorization and long stretches of perfect playing just so you can try a tough room one more time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:01 am 

UncleSporky wrote:
I can't stand the gameplay and would probably not even play this for free because as others have said it relies so much on memorization and long stretches of perfect playing just so you can try a tough room one more time.

It depends how much later you must memorize I guess. It should, normally, gets harder with time but if harder mean to just remember each room exactly to not get kill just before entering it, it may get irritating with time. But Iwtbtg is even worst than that :)

Edit:

I had a chance to play with a joystick tonight. My verdict: the game is very irritating already! If you don't do exactly what the game expect, you're dead. So you restart from your safe point again, and again, and again.. Until you give up in frustration. hmm... Since it's the first level, I'm surprised a little bit. Usually I don't give up that easily. Maybe I don't have as much patience like I used to be have. I have less time to spend on games than before I guess.

I gave up after those 2 flying thing (which was irritating to have to jump at the exact right moment on that breakable block and shoot just at the exact time then jump before it shoots). I was at those 2 pink balls. Destroyed one, had enough leeway to jump over the second one but the game didn't let me to. I guess you must destroy both fast enough since the game is that way but I had enough space to jump over it and avoid it. The game didn't think so. Is it a bug?

The game music and graphics are good, the idea is interesting and I will try to finish the demo but for now the game is too frustrating for my taste. I thought battletoad was frustrating but I found a new winner ;) For now, the demo killed my interest in buying the game since if the game is even harder after.. I think the game will fly by the window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:37 pm 

This is a pretty cool game technically, nice job! I played up to the boss.

Gameplay wise.. wow, its really hard, similar in toughness and gameplay to the end levels in "An Untitled Story". I like tough games, but it would be nice to have a "normal" mode, where you have some number of hitpoints like others recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:04 pm 
NESICIDE developer

NESICIDE wrote:
MottZilla wrote:

Great work though.

It does seem very polished and possibly fun but I haven't yet figured out how to get past even the first set of baddies on the third screen. Too hard!

Ok I am a complete idiot. :roll: I was entirely neglecting the 'shoot' button. Still very hard, though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:36 pm 

For the pink balls, I may have found in my sleep (...) what is the solution but still I would like to know why I was not able to jump over the remaining one by staying in the center platform. I'm sure I had enough space to jump over it and go back on the platform.

edit:

It's not really an issue but if the transition between screen could be done without the screen becoming black, that would be great. I wouldn't mind to wait an extra half second for that.

For example, there is one place at the beginning, where you have to climb to see the first snail. If you jump in advance, you it your head on a wall and go back on the previous screen. This make the screen flash very fast from black to screen to black to screen. This is hard on the eyes. If this doesn't happen often then maybe it's not a big issue but still. I guess the game is too far in it's development cycle to change this behavior.

If you could draw the next map in the alternate name table then switch to this one when finished, I don't know if you could achieve it without the flashing of the screen. Except from the fact the game is hard, this is the maybe the only thing that annoy me a little bit in this game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 pm 

It kind of sucks jumping to the higher screen and falling back down, but it's no big deal. Hopefully once you get the items the annoying stuff won't be so bad. I don't see why the one hit death should be any worse than SMB or Contra. In fact, this game is probably easier than Contra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:10 pm 

I hope so for the items. As for the difficulty, I don't find contra hard actually. It does requires memorization but in general good reflexes will help you. The fact that you don't restart at the beginning of the level makes it easier too.

For now, when I pass the 2 flying thing with the breaking block (I don't know their name), I always feel that for the second one that I pass it out of luck. Maybe with more practice it will become easier to pass it.

Edit:

I tried again during lunch but with a keyboard. It's even harder. So I guess I made my mind for this game. I will pass since it's not my type: it's too frustrating for me and I don't have the patience anymore to go through this ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:44 pm 

Absolutely amazing for homebrew! Seriously, I've been waiting for this to come out for awhile now and I'm inspired to start working on mine again. Somehow I managed to get a little blood blister on might right thumb thanks to this game :)

If you wanted critiques though:
*1 hit=death is a pain. I know you mentioned its a big deal to change though, personally its a turn off for me
*Jumping between screens (as in up and falling back down) is disorienting. Maybe when he jumps up have it land in a predetermined place. I realize that would a pain to implement though.
*I lack skills, but it couldn't be done with out saves. Esp. at the boss. I figure those rooms with the swirly stuff are intended for that purpose though.
*On the area with the first bird (and 1 ball), if you jump out of the top it temporarily throws the bird off from firing. I used this to my advantage though, but figure it wasn't intended.

Otherwise, its a great game. If this is just the first level I can't imagine what the rest will be like. I'd be happy to buy a cartridge if you go that route. Keep up the good work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next